OSD-EPG Start Time exceeding End Time

bigaluk

Using the OSD, Get into the EPG timeline OSD, Select a program, Set Record.

Problem One: Once you have done this, there is no intuitive way to then change your mind and CANCEL the recording. :D

Problem Two: You can use the same acces-sequence to edit the recording. If you change the channel or (worse) set the start time AFTER the end time, interesting (and usually undesirable) things happen! ;)

Would respectfully suggest:

A. Adding a CANCEL to the actual recording setting dialog in the Timeline OSD (alongside the OK - presently there is no intuitive "back-out").

B. Limit checking values so that times make sequential sense before being accepted

C. Get rid of the channel changing in the OSD timer recording dialog itself (why allow changing the channel in this context anyway?)

D. Allow a button to cancel an EXISTING recording directly from the Timeline OSD (like is done in 99% of other media programs, such as MCE).

Hope these suggestions are useful. ;)

Edited by bigaluk

A. OSD back or OSD Menu is always the way out.

C. To choose another Audiostream for the channel.

D. User the OSD Timer window.

First there is no Bug -> Moved

B. How you program a recording from 23:55 Clock to 1:30?

Good point - obviously you would then have to take the date change into account, which I grant would make the dialog more complex.

However, that said, I would have thought that either an automated double-check or a post-event undo could easily be accomodated ... for the idiots amongst us :blush:, and this would be more desirable that the feature ;) that occurs when you accidentally manipulate the times and end up recording a 24 hour block of TV - especially when it appears you can't easily cancel it after pressing OK.

Let's face it, having to then discard the handset, leave the EPG display and then cancel the timer(s) in the very obscure "Recording Statistics" window ... well, it just ain't as intuitive as using the same EPG window to remove the errant recordings with much the same handset approach as they are made (suggestions A and D). Really, it is the lack of this ability that I was flagging up as being (er) a pain in the derrierre. It certainly isn't very couch-potato friendly ;)

As a complete fool proofing (i.e. proofing against complete fools): if the timings can be accidentally set so start is greater than end such that the total time is many hours, it would be nice if an "are you sure?" dialog popped up. Example:

23:50 TO 01:10 = 1:20 (so no dialog)

01:10 TO 01:05 = 23:55 (dialog might be appropriate)

Anything over 12 hours apparent length would make sense. This is what I meant by suggestion B.

Suggestion C (getting rid of channel changing in the record dialog) is really just additional protection against the "click frenzied" among us who are trying to find any handset-driven way out of the dialog, so that "undoes" a recording once it was previously set. In fact, this is how I stumbled on the 24-hour problem - by trying to make the recording invalid so it would go away and leave me alone, rather than constantly restarting DVBVieiwer every time I tried to shut it down. What then happened is that the problem got worse, because I was now apparently recording 24 hours worth of TV from two channels simultaneously! :D

Incidentally, long after I had eventually "discovered" that the recording statistics dialog is the way to kill timers ("statistics" - "delete timers" ? Not intuituve, sorry) I encountered another problem that having deleted a timer and closed DVBViewer, the darned thing immediately started up again and re-instated the timer - simply because that programme was already started and the recording was running. Imagine that happening for 24 hours!

:D

Incidentally - some of the best testing of user interfaces is carried out by monkeys.

Should I offer my services?

:D

Edited by bigaluk