Unicast 3.9.2.0 vs 3.9.4.0

I'm using DVBserver with 4 Twinhan DVB-T Ci over a gigabit lan for watching tv on 3 different computers.

Before update 3.9.2.0 to 3.9.4.0, I was able to record almost 15 (or more) tv programs on 1 computer,

watching on tv on the other 2 computers at the same time (DVBserver handles 4 cards and 4 mux at the same time)

But with DVBserver 3.9.4.0, it will handle every channel request on the same mux as a client,

this means that all 4 card will be used and not accessible for other clients.

Hope you can understand what I'm trying to explain... :blush:

BR

/ UiP

Please explain more. Is this a new setup for the clients and server or did you install over the old ones? Are the channel settings of the clients in sync?

I checked it and can not reproduced this behaviour. Please explain exactly what you are doing, so I can reproduce. :blush:

Some fact:

DVBServer computer: WinXP PRO, P4 3.0GHz, 2Gb ram, 4 Twinhan DVB-T Ci.

DVBViwer computer 1: Vista home 32bit, AMD 5600, 4Gb ram.

DVBViwer computer 2: Vista home 32bit, P4 3.4GHz, 2Gb ram.

DVBViwer computer 3: Vista home 32bit, P4 3.2GHz, 2Gb ram.

When using DVBServer 3.9.2.0:

On computer 1: Recording 6 shows, and watching 1, total 7 program at the same time.

On computer 2: Watch 1 program.

On computer 3: Watch 1 program.

DVBServer computer: 3 of 4 cards are active, total of 5 clients. (4 shows are on the same mux, using one card, 3 shows on same mux, using one card, 2 shows on same mux, using one card)

No problems!

When using DVBServer 3.9.4.0:

On computer 1: Recording 4 shows, and try watching 1, it says No available hardware.

On computer 2: try watching 1, it says No available hardware.

On computer 3: try watching 1, it says No available hardware.

DVBServer computer: 4 of 4 cards are active, total of 4 clients. (3 shows are on the same mux, using 3 cards, 1 show on another mux, using one card.)

Problems! No available hardware left?

BR

/ UiP

Nope not reproduceable works without problems. I did record two channels on the same muxx via network and the server only uses one device for it, as it should be.

As long as you are not willing to give useful informations, there is nothing I can do.

Ok, I'll try to uninstall and reinstall to see if i can make it work...

Thanks for trying...

BR

/ UiP

I've uninstall and reinstalled everything, also removed all entrys in the register, removed all codecs.

But it didn't help...

Now I have found what I think is the problem, it's not the server, it's the main DVBViewer program that has a change in the hardware settings.

v3.9.2.0: in the settings under hardware, click on unicast, there I can tick the checkbox "open whole transponder".

v3.9.4.0: in the settings under hardware, click on unicast, there I can NOT tick the checkbox "open whole transponder" because it is grayed out.

I think this is the cause why the program opens a new transponder when I'm trying to watch/record more than I have cards avilable.

Does this make any sens?

BR

/ UiP

Open whole transponder did never work with the network devices, it is simply ignored. That's why it is greyed out now.

On a 3.9.4 client PC go to start -> programs -> DVBViewer program group -> support -> DVBViewer (debugmode). Then try your thing and post a support.zip

I think this is the cause why the program opens a new transponder when I'm trying to watch/record more than I have cards avilable.

Does this make any sens?

BR

/ UiP

It looks like you have not enabled 'open whole transponder' on your devices in dvbserver.

Edited by pastimer
  • 4 weeks later...
It looks like you have not enabled 'open whole transponder' on your devices in dvbserver.

I was facing the same problem and tried to enable it by hacking hardware.xml.

Let me explain my settings first.

PC1 - Installed : TV Tuner , DVBViewer(client) and DVBServer

PC2 - Only DVBViewer was installed

But the problem still exist.Finally I found that was just cause by a stupid mistake - I enabled NetStream plugin on PC1! PC2 just get stream from the DVBViewer on PC1 instead of DVBServer.

You should check your server side :)

Edited by Kenny Lam

It is important, that all clients share the same channellist (more the settings in it). because channelgroups or diseqc make a difference between channels. they need to be excactly the same or they will be seen as different and in need for an own device on the server.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I've tried some more, but the problem is still there.

Some very strange behaivior noticed...

I'll try to explain and also attach my "channel.ini" in the "support.zip" file.

DVBViewer 3.9.4.25

Case 1:

Watching Channel 11 (name=kanal 9) on freq 546000, it's a encrypted channel, set it on recording = everything is ok.

Looking in the EPG and see another program on Channel 19 (name=Discovery) on freq 546000, it's a encrypted channel that I want to watch, still recording the other channel. Here I got the message "No available hardware". Trying to watch some other channels on the same mux=same answer "No available hardware".

DVBViewer 3.9.4.25

Case 2:

Watching Channel 6 (name=TV4 Gävle) on freq 498000, it's NOT a encrypted channel, set it on recording = everything is ok.

Looking in the EPG and see another program on Channel 9 (Name=TV4 Plus) on freq 498000, it's a encrypted channel that I want to watch, still recording the other channel, set it on recording = everything is ok.

Looking in the EPG and see another program on Channel 10 (Name=TV400) on freq 498000, it's a encrypted channel that I want to watch, still recording the other 2 channels, set it on recording = everything is ok.

DVBViewer 3.9.4.25

Case 3:

Watching Channel 9 (Name=TV4 Plus) on freq 498000, it's a encrypted channel, set it on recording = everything is ok.

Looking in the EPG and see another program on Channel 10 (Name=TV400) on freq 498000, it's a encrypted channel that I want to watch, still recording the other channel. Here I got the message "No available hardware". Trying to watch other encrypted channels on the same mux=same answer "No available hardware", until I switching to Channel 6 (name=TV4 Gävle) on freq 498000, it's NOT a encrypted channel, set it on recording = everything is ok.

Now I can watch/record any channel on that mux.

It seams that for some reason the program won't open the whole transponder unless a channel is "free to air" first, then it will be ok to reach the other encrypted cannels on the same mux at the same time. There is no problem to watch or record mutiple "free to air" channels on the same mux, it's only when encrypted channels are in use first, then it turns in to be a problem.

With DVBViewer 3.9.1.0 I have no problem to watch or record any encrypted channels on the same mux.

I hope this will help to explain my issues...

BR

/ UiP

support.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think that's a technical restriction on how the CAM and the dvb hardware interact, so that encryptet channels block the whole hardware.

There was a test sometimes to allow decription of multiple channels on the same mux (some CAMs are able to do that) but that was discarded, because it very often lost packets while adding another channel to the description.

Your case 3 is a bit odd. If I understand correclty, DVBViewer refuses to tune a fta channel if an encrypted channel is recorded? From my point of view that "should" be possible. But maybe there is more to that, that we don't see... only lars can answer that :)

Moses, thanx for your answer.

And yes, case 3 is understod correctly.

The most strange thing is, that it works perfect with DVBViewer 3.9.1.0, but not with later releases.

I could stick to the older version but I really like the later 3.9.4.25 better (with the channelgroups).

So I hope (and pray :) ) that Lars_MQ, will find some time to sort things out.

BR

/ UiP

If it was the CAM's that differs, then it could make some sense, but I've got 5 VIAACCESS CAM's with the same brand and they even got the serialnumbers after eachother, 3 VIAACCESS CAM's of a other brand, but it's the same manufacturer.

Even the Twinhan cards have the serialnumbers after eachother.

I've tried different computers, and setup's but every time I get to the conclusion that there must be some difference in the software between 3.9.1.0 and 3.9.4.x. I can't say if it's the server or the DVBViewer program.

I guess that I'm not the regular user with just 1 or 2 cards, because of my desire to use 1 card for each MUX to watch and record any tv show I want on any computer in my own "tv-network". (we have 5 DVB-T mux today, next year 6, that's why I like the channelgroups)

-Moses, thanx for trying!

BR

/ UiP

Edited by UiP

No, it can't be the CAMs, if DVBViewer says "No hardware". I thought a bit more of it and I think it's your client configuration. Are the channels in the same group and is your client's unicast device set to play these channels? Maybe you should just try to add some more unicast devices (you can do that in the usermode.ini, just set the number of devices you need (best should be to set it equal to the number of physical devices you can use on your server).

Yes, each client have same number (6) of unicasts as the number of hardware.

Here is my current setup:

All channels on MUX 1 are asigned to channelgroup A and card 1

All channels on MUX 2 are asigned to channelgroup B and card 2

All channels on MUX 3 are asigned to channelgroup C and card 3

All channels on MUX 4 are asigned to channelgroup D and card 4

All channels on MUX 5 are asigned to channelgroup E and card 5

The Unicast settings on the clients are the same as above.

Please, do you have any more ideas? I do belive it's possible to solve this with some help.

Thanx! :angry:

// UiP