Black bars are not black

Purlin Beam

I use Overlay Mixer as the video renderer

When I open fullscreen

The unused areas on the top and bottom are not in real black

Rather they are in deep purple

I don't have this problem with VMR but I want to use Overlay Mixer more

Is there a way to solve this problem?

(I have already updated my DirectX to the newest version)

Could be a Problem with the adjustment of the Pictureparameters of your screen.

Try the following:

1. Set all Picture-Controls to a neutral Value. If using a TFT TV-Set with Backlight Control switch it off (automatic) or set it to a very low Value

2. Reduce Brightness and raise Contrast in small Steps, First with the Controls of your Graphics-Adapter and if necessary with the Monitor Controls.

For a first Calibration you can download some Referencepictures from here:

http://www.burosch.de/shop/

(Don´t worry the Basic-Pics are free)

If the Calibration is ok, you can do minor Modifications by Eysight with different "Realtime"-Material (TV/Video/Stills).

But you should be aware that you can hardly reach a Blacklevel that is in the Range of a CRT. A very common problem with TFT- TV Sets and Monitors.

Greetz

Pinbot

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, I can calibrate my display settings to make that deep purple "looks" black.

But it would wash out the overall black level as well.

Should there be a way of software configuration to solve the problem?

And I'm using ATI Radeon HD3650 and Catalyst driver 8.6.

Here attached my DVBViewer setting.

support.zip

First of all it´s a big difference between using a Computermonitor and a TV-Set.

In almost evry case Problems like yours occur the reasons lie in the differences of the used Colourspace (wider in the Computersection).

Ok, with ATI/Catalyst you have the advantage to have access to nearly all relevant Parameters.

If the Adjustment of Contrast and Brightness does´nt give you a good result, move on to the more sophisticated Adjustments.

In the Colorsection of the CCC and under Avivo you´ll find the Gamma Adjustment.

You can influence either the primary colours seperatly or, in your case, the overall Gamma-Curve of the Picture without changing the Black/White-Level.

There is also an excellent Registry- Patch for ATI-Cards wich you can download here:

http://home.comcast.net/~exdeus/ati-hd2x00/

With this Patch some Parammeters are changed to set the Output of the Cards to a more "videolike" Level.It worked fine for me and gave me a very deep Black without overemphasizing White.

If you have brought the basic Adjustments to a nearly satisfying Level and apply the Patch it could do the trick.

Another way is changing the Videorendere/ Codec e.g. from VMR to Overlay or vice versa.

But let me tell you, the whole process of gaining an optimum in PQ can be very rime consuming. It took me nearly 4 Week. And i can say i am not unversed in such things

Unfortunately I cant give you " Works for all"- Parameters. There are to many Factors involved. From the kind of TV/Panel and the Viewingambiance (Lighting) to your very own expectations.

So it´s more or less a matter of Trail and Error. (unles you want to buy a few thousand Euro/Dollar/Pound worth of Calibration-Equipment ;) )

Greetz

Pinbot

Edited by pinbot

Um...

I think you misunderstand my situation.

The black in my video has no problem.

Only the "black bars" are not in black but in very deep purple.

It looks different from the pure black in my video.

It has nothing to do with my display settings and changing them won't help.

And I'm already using Overlay Mixer.

I don't have this problem with VMR.

I'm just seeking a way to solve this because it's not supposed to happen.

Hm, the black Bars ARE Part of the Videosignal...

The false Colour Effekt is more obvious in "solid" Areas.

But if you say the overall Blacklevel is ok, i think the Problem is really more on the "Receiver"(TV)-Side then on the Sender (Computer).

It´s hard to make a suggestion how to cope with that. It´s almost certenly a Problem that originates in a to intese Backlight and or the kind of TFT-Panel.

So back to "Square one" ... sorry.

Greetz

Pinbot

Yes, common letterbox black bars are part of the video signal.

But the black bars I refer is the additional areas originated by the difference in aspect ratio between the video (16:9) and my monitor (16:10).

If the problem is on the monitor side, then why there is no such problem when I use VMR renderer (or any other programs)?

The color of the black bars is totally different from the solid black in the video.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Thanks for the information. I understand now.

Unfortunately, I still can't find a way the change this overlay color.

=[

It would be nice if the next update of DVBViewer can fix this...

By the way, I think this overlay color should normally be hidden?

Is that a bug of DVBViewer?

Because I don't see this color using other programs with overlay mixer.

Their black bars are all black.

Am I the only one who is encountering this problem?

Hey

at least someone from the DVBViewer please answer me

why am I seeing the overlay color on the black bars which are supposed to be pure black?

By the way, I think this overlay color should normally be hidden?
In Full screen the hole monitor is in "overlay color" and if the Video format do not fit to the monitor format you will see it.
In Full screen the hole monitor is in "overlay color" and if the Video format do not fit to the monitor format you will see it.

Yes I understand.

But why cant I see the overlay color with other programs? (also using overlay mixer)

Should there be a way to hide it?