Problem DVBViewer/FullHD TV

CrashingDutchman

This is my first post here... I have been looking all over the forums but haven't found a solution to my problem.

I have build a new HTPC based on these products:

- Abit A-N78HD motherboard

- Samsung 500GB Harddrive

- Sony DVD player/recorder

- Digital Everywhere floppy DTV

- Standard computer monitor and full HD tv (Philips 42pfl7962)

The monitor will be used as long as I am experimenting with this system. The TV is connected to the HTPC with a HDMI cable the TV resolution has been set to 1920x1080 resolution. For now, the monitor is my main screen and the TV is the extended desktop. So far this is working well. When I open DVBViewer on the monitor and sound through, for example, headphones, I get a good picture and sound. As soon as either sound or picture is send to the TV the TV keeps resetting.

It seems that the TV is seeking for a good resolution. There is a blue screen all the time with text 1080p at the top of the screen and 'even wachten...' (translation: please wait) at the bottom of the screen. Every, maybe 5-8 seconds, I see a correct picture for less than half a second. The problem occurs with normal TV and HD TV.

I have played with all kind of codecs, to no avail. I thought to post this first, I will post pictures and more information about codecs as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Jan

Codecs aren't going to make any difference as it looks like there is a signalling issue between the TV and the graphics system in your PC. What graphics card are you using? Have you tried updating all relevant drivers?

I had similar issues - the worst seem to be the COREAVC codec. Posted here but no replies. In my case I have a 24inch monitor (1920 by 1080) connected to my PC via an HD3870 (ATI Radeon).

Tried most screen format but nothing seems to work reliably.

Running VISTA 32.

The Abit motherboard that I have has integrated Geforce 8200 onboard. As far as I know, I have the most recent drivers. I had installed Vista Ultimate first, but because of the problems I had, I upgraded to XP. Unfortunately, the same problems.

Maybe the HDMI cable I am using is the weakest link?

Does the TV work OK if your not using DVBViewer?

Have you tried just the TV on it's own without the monitor connected?

Some TV's have problems transmitting their EDID information and this causes problems with graphics cards.

Edited by Ronski

Hi Ronski,

The TV works ok when not using DVBViewer. When I for example have my browser shown on TV, I can browse without any problems. Also, playing files in Youtube is working ok.

I have tried the TV on it's own. Same problem,

Can you elaborate on EDID? I have a Philips 42PFL7962, I will see if I can find anything about EDID information.

Thanks for your help!

EDID is an option in CatalystControlCenter >Monitor Properties >Use Extended Display Data (EDID) or driver defaults.

You can change it for a test (used/ not used).

Catalist control center seems to be something that belongs to Ati board, right? I have an Abit mainboard with Geforce 8200 onboard video. I will see if I can find if there is an EDID setting somewhere.

Guest proton

I had the same problem, But I have the ATI 2400HD Card and it has HDMI out. The picture on my monitor is really bad and stringy, but on my TV it is crystal clear. I had to play with the HDMI settings in ATI's Catalyst Control Centre and then it finnaly worked. So it has something to do with the Graphics card not setting the right resolution or something like that. This is done in clone more though. I can't see the point in having Extended Desktop if I am watching TV and not on my PC?

I had the same problem, But I have the ATI 2400HD Card and it has HDMI out. The picture on my monitor is really bad and stringy, but on my TV it is crystal clear. I had to play with the HDMI settings in ATI's Catalyst Control Centre and then it finnaly worked. So it has something to do with the Graphics card not setting the right resolution or something like that. This is done in clone more though. I can't see the point in having Extended Desktop if I am watching TV and not on my PC?

What settings did you change in CC ...I have 3870. I have played about using 2 monitors, I then used 2nd monitor as the DVBViewer and messing arounf with CC ... I did not use clone as monitor sizes differ and was not practical in my case. Not sure if there is a way in CC to be able to control the view and apps on Monitor2 via monitor 1

Anyone has a best setting config for ATI based video cards?

What about codecs ? What works best for you ??

EDID is an option in CatalystControlCenter >Monitor Properties >Use Extended Display Data (EDID) or driver defaults.

You can change it for a test (used/ not used).

I don't see those EDID monitor functions in CC 8.6, are they specific to Win XP, I am on Vista 32 bit. I am attempting to install CC 8.7 but keeps giving me a blank screen. I keep seeing EDID functions mentioned in many forums. I have a new LG monitor running totally in Digital mode via DVI so not sure if EDID is applicable. I am going to try and set up an additional monitor (VGA) and see what happens. At worst I can do a system restore. .... Results later.

Frank

I don't see those EDID monitor functions in CC 8.6, are they specific to Win XP, I am on Vista 32 bit. I am attempting to install CC 8.7 but keeps giving me a blank screen. I keep seeing EDID functions mentioned in many forums. I have a new LG monitor running totally in Digital mode via DVI so not sure if EDID is applicable. I am going to try and set up an additional monitor (VGA) and see what happens. At worst I can do a system restore. .... Results later.

Frank

Managed to install 8.7 but only after I added monitor 2 (VGA). The screen went blank but recovered. I also had turned down the resolution from 1920 by 1080 to 1024....not sure which one fixed this.

By the way EDID are only properties for VGA monitors, my LG (connected via DVI) does not have those. By my old NEC monitor has EDID.

DVBViewer seems OK with CCC 8.7 but early days yet .

Frank

Hi Ronski,

The TV works ok when not using DVBViewer. When I for example have my browser shown on TV, I can browse without any problems. Also, playing files in Youtube is working ok.

I have tried the TV on it's own. Same problem,

Can you elaborate on EDID? I have a Philips 42PFL7962, I will see if I can find anything about EDID information.

Thanks for your help!

EDID is a property of VGA (analouge) monitors. If usisg CCC with a DVI Interface there is no EDID.

I have checked this out on my HD3870 using an old NEC VGa monitor and a LG Digital monitor (via DVI)

Hope that helps

Frank

EDID is a property of VGA (analouge) monitors. If usisg CCC with a DVI Interface there is no EDID.

I have checked this out on my HD3870 using an old NEC VGa monitor and a LG Digital monitor (via DVI)

Hope that helps

Frank

Sorry, forgot I posted in this thread!

All monitors/TV's have EDID, it's how the graphics card knows what it's connected to, quite often though, especially with TV's they do not transmit the correct Edid, or they stop transmitting it when you change input on the TV or it goes to standby. This is a problem I suffered with on my Media Center. If the HTPC came on to record without the TV being on, I would get no picture if I then turned the TV, as the graphics card did not think it was connected to a digital device, and therefore switched to VGA mode! I've purchased a Gefen DVI Detective which reads and stores the TV's Edid information, this device then always transmits the Edid to the computer.

I think your problem may be related to the signal that you are sending the TV, have you got the correct refesh rate selected for it? Ah but I see it works fine until DVBViewer is shown on it - most strange, is it possible that you have some profile setup in Nvidia Control panel to change resolution/refresh rate when a particular application is opened?

Edited by Ronski