EVR not working with HD channels

newen

Topic title says it all. Support.zip and picture attached.

This problem is interesting. Fast processor, buckets of memory, good video card and still this problem.

Could be a resource conflict with one of the sat cards and the graphics card.

You may have to reinstall Vista from scratch with all cards in place. The popular belief is Vista can handle any resource conflict, this may not be the case especially if you added the cards piece meal AFTER installing Vista.

This is only a guess of course a complex problem if this nature is almost impossible to solve from a distance, despite what some professional (smarty pants) geeks on various forums may tell you . Who nearly always take wild guesses on trying to solve complex computer problems. Usually ending up with the person who asked the question solving it themselves!

BTW. The person who suggested installing the CCC may be a bad idea . Installing any codec pack is ALWAYS a bad idea.

I do now that much. That is not a guess.

Edited by jimmyg
This problem is interesting. Fast processor, buckets of memory, good video card and still this problem.

Could be a resource conflict with one of the sat cards and the graphics card.

You may have to reinstall Vista from scratch with all cards in place. The popular belief is Vista can handle any resource conflict, this may not be the case especially if you added the cards piece meal AFTER installing Vista.

This is only a guess of course a complex problem if this nature is almost impossible to solve from a distance, despite what some professional (smarty pants) geeks on various forums may tell you . Who nearly always take wild guesses on trying to solve complex computer problems. Usually ending up with the person who asked the question solving it themselves!

BTW. The person who suggested installing the CCC may be a bad idea . Installing any codec pack is ALWAYS a bad idea.

I do now that much. That is not a guess.

Vista is clean install. Both cards were present during install. HD channels work with VMR9. Non-HD channels work with EVR. Same setup was working with nVidia 7900gtx video card installed. There are no codecs packs installed except ac3, core and cyberlink. CCC stands for Catalyst Control Center which is official ATI video card driver pack.

Was having the same problem with CCC 8.5 and above so I went back to 8.3 and now runs works fine - I also downgraded Cyberlink from v.8.0 to 7.3. I will try 8.8 once the forums say it hasn't broken HA (DXVA). All versions of CCC between 8.4 and 8.7 do not allow HA (DVXA). I'm using a AMD 780G board (Integrated Graphics) and Discovery runs sweet with only 25-30% CPU. Playback of recorded HD (.ts) files runs at around 6-8%.

Was having the same problem with CCC 8.5 and above so I went back to 8.3 and now runs works fine - I also downgraded Cyberlink from v.8.0 to 7.3. I will try 8.8 once the forums say it hasn't broken HA (DXVA). All versions of CCC between 8.4 and 8.7 do not allow HA (DVXA). I'm using a AMD 780G board (Integrated Graphics) and Discovery runs sweet with only 25-30% CPU. Playback of recorded HD (.ts) files runs at around 6-8%.

I guess I could downgrade my drivers but then I would loose the one thing I bought 4870 for and that is 7.1 raw audio to my Marantz reciever via HDMI (which was a bitch to setup). You are right about HA. It in not working in 8.8 either since Discovery in 1080p takes 25%+ on all 4 cores of my q6600@3.2

Vista is clean install. Both cards were present during install. HD channels work with VMR9. Non-HD channels work with EVR. Same setup was working with nVidia 7900gtx video card installed. There are no codecs packs installed except ac3, core and cyberlink. CCC stands for Catalyst Control Center which is official ATI video card driver pack.

The strange part about this problem is that Non-HD Channels work OK.

Do you think that lack of HA would cause the symptoms you are getting ?

I thought that all it would do is stress the processor a lot more and possibly the picture would go blocky and significant frame drop would occur , not the same as the example picture you posted.

When qubito says he has the same problem does he mean the SAME problem or a similar problem which goes nowhere to solve your actual problem.

The attached picture was exactly the same as I got with Discovery HD. The picture was not viewable - lots of tearing - the sort of picture break up you get with low signal and no sound. Incidentally, the problem also occured with Anixe HD (19.2E). I downgraded the drivers and it worked for me. I also can never get CoreAVC (v1.7) to work with EVR in DVBV.

You can always try going to 8.3 to find out if it fixes that particular problem and that will tell you whether it's a driver problem or not. It might be worth getting a hold of PDVD 7.3 - Seems to get the best results with CCC drivers at the moment. You can always revert to 8.8 and PDVD8.

The attached picture was exactly the same as I got with Discovery HD. The picture was not viewable - lots of tearing - the sort of picture break up you get with low signal and no sound. Incidentally, the problem also occured with Anixe HD (19.2E). I downgraded the drivers and it worked for me. I also can never get CoreAVC (v1.7) to work with EVR in DVBV.

You can always try going to 8.3 to find out if it fixes that particular problem and that will tell you whether it's a driver problem or not. It might be worth getting a hold of PDVD 7.3 - Seems to get the best results with CCC drivers at the moment. You can always revert to 8.8 and PDVD8.

Picture on all HD channels is the same. Discovery, Premiere, ORF, Astra demo... I've used PDVD8 codec with my old 7900gtx and it was working great (with EVR on). I'm using Core 1.6 now with 4870 because PDVD8 was very jerky. Did you try switching to VMR while using newer CCC and Core 1.7? Before I try older CCC and PDVD7 I'll check ProgDVB or some other player which supports EVR to see what happens.

Can you also tell me your hardware setup? Processor and GFX card. Just to compare CPU usage on 1080p channels with and w/o driver enabled HA.

Graphics Card - 780G motherboard integrated graphics (ATI HD 3200) - Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (h**p://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2758).

CPU - AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400

CCC - 8.8 (just released by ATI).

PDVD - v.7.3 (H264 Codec).

See attachment for DVBV settings. EVR works ok in DVBV with PDBV 7.3.

CPU usage on BBC HD playback 12-17%. Playback of 1080p HD .ts file ~5-7%.

CoreAVC 1.7 - currently only works with VMR9 in DVBV - CPU usage around 54-58%. I get aspect ratio isues using CoreAVC + EVR.

post-58489-1219511428_thumb.jpg

Graphics Card - 780G motherboard integrated graphics (ATI HD 3200) - Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (h**p://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2758).

CPU - AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400

CCC - 8.8 (just released by ATI).

PDVD - v.7.3 (H264 Codec).

See attachment for DVBV settings. EVR works ok in DVBV with PDBV 7.3.

CPU usage on BBC HD playback 12-17%. Playback of 1080p HD .ts file ~5-7%.

CoreAVC 1.7 - currently only works with VMR9 in DVBV - CPU usage around 54-58%. I get aspect ratio isues using CoreAVC + EVR.

I gave PDVD 8 one more chance with new CCC 8.8 and it works!

So, summary:

CCC < 8.4 + any CoreAVC or PDVD + EVR = works

CCC 8.4 to 8.7 + any CoreAVC or PDVD 8 + EVR = not working (works with VMR9)

CCC 8.4 to 8.7 + PDVD 7.x + EVR = works

CCC 8.8 + any CoreAVC + EVR = not working

CCC 8.8 + PDVD 8 + EVR = works

Amazing is difference in CPU usage between VMR9 and EVR on same channel using CoreAVC or PDVD:

Discovery HD 1080p 5.1 VMR9 = 22-27%

Discovery HD 1080p 5.1 EVR = 3-5%

Edited by newen
I will try 8.8 once the forums say it hasn't broken HA (DXVA). All versions of CCC between 8.4 and 8.7 do not allow HA (DVXA).

I've used 8.4, 8.7 and am now on 8.8 and they all seem to allow hardware acceleration on my system (HD3850, XP). I doubt that my processor would be running at under 10% otherwise. ;)

I gave PDVD 8 one more chance with new CCC 8.8 and it works!

So, summary:

CCC < 8.4 + any CoreAVC or PDVD + EVR = works

CCC 8.4 to 8.7 + any CoreAVC or PDVD 8 + EVR = not working (works with VMR9)

CCC 8.4 to 8.7 + PDVD 7.x + EVR = works

CCC 8.8 + any CoreAVC + EVR = not working

CCC 8.8 + PDVD 8 + EVR = works

Amazing is difference in CPU usage between VMR9 and EVR on same channel using CoreAVC or PDVD:

Discovery HD 1080p 5.1 VMR9 = 22-27%

Discovery HD 1080p 5.1 EVR = 3-5%

Good news. I'll get a hold of PDVD8 as MPEG/DVD playback is much better than v. 7.3. CoreAVC generally tend to use more CPU in my case and I find I get more details pictures with PDVD. But, I can only run 1080p .mkv files using CoreAVC.

Frogster, I think the issues with 8.4 + above may be specific to the integrated HD3200 chipset - I had lots of HA issues and 8.7 was a killer - lots of BSOD with HD playback. 8.8 looks have have solved all these issues so I'll give PDVD8 a try now.

As a newbie to DVBViewer, I have to report the following:

BBC HD crashes the program, whichever AC3 and H264 codecs I use. The image shows the debug view. In all other respects, so far, I'm happy with the program. It does what I want and more - the mark of good software.

post-66894-1219914152_thumb.png

• 5 months later...

Hi, the solve of my problem with the HD channels and EVR was quite easy (of course, after i found it out :/): First i tried the Mainconcept and Cyberlink H264 Codecs but none of them worked with EVR. What i had to do was, to activate the HA in the DVBViewer filter menu, while a HD channel is active. I also activated HA in PowerDVD8 (i don't know exactly, but i've read somewhere, that this may be plays a role). After i have done this, everthing works.