Recording service : when is it used ?

boulder2

I am a bit confused.

When is the recording service actually used ?

Is it used every time you make a recording via the scheduler, timeline or when you directly choose to record the station you are currently watching ?

What is the difference with the Task Scheduler and the Videorecorder plugin ?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I am confused by the multitude of plugins and downloads you can use.

First the DVB Task Scheduler only generate windows Tasks for the recordings. So that PC and DVBViewer a ruining at the begin of the recording.

In the current DVBViewer version is no real need for the Video recorder plugin. You need it only in very special situations (for example recording more than 23:59 hour in one file). The plugin was build in a time as the internal recording engine was less powerful.

The Recording Service is a separate programme. It records the TV channel on its own. It did not start the DVBViewer for the recordings. The Recording Service starts the PC on its own if necessary (do not use DVB Task Scheduler and Recording Service at the same time!).

But only DVBViewer ore Recording service can use a TV care at the time.

Both methods work well to record programs. Althought its a beta plug-in I use the Recording Service because its clean to just run a service and not have the entire client load. It also features a built-in Web Interface for searching for programs. There's lots of other features being tested like populating the EPG.

Remember not to mix the two ways to record: I recomend to use the Scheduler initially and watch the threads on the recording service for developments!

-MaCK

Well the service was never a release, always beta and this will stay this way (for now).

It is as rock solid as a release but having beta status keeps the people on their toes :) :)

First the DVB Task Scheduler only generate windows Tasks for the recordings. So that PC and DVBViewer a ruining at the begin of the recording.

In the current DVBViewer version is no real need for the Video recorder plugin. You need it only in very special situations (for example recording more than 23:59 hour in one file). The plugin was build in a time as the internal recording engine was less powerful.

The Recording Service is a separate programme. It records the TV channel on its own. It did not start the DVBViewer for the recordings. The Recording Service starts the PC on its own if necessary (do not use DVB Task Scheduler and Recording Service at the same time!).

But only DVBViewer ore Recording service can use a TV care at the time.

So if I understand correctly, if you start up DVBViewer manually, then press the record key, none of those 3 systems is being used.

If you use the timeline to schedule a recording from within DVBViewer, again none of these 3 systems is being used, and the same goes for when you use the timer from within DVBViewer ?

The Video recorder plugin is never used beside you select it by the Timer. But normally there is no reason to use it.

If you have activated the use of the DVB Task Scheduler. It is started every time you close the DVBViewer and generates Tasks if there a new timer.

An if the DVBViewer is not running to record a timer. The DVB Task Scheduler starts the DVBViewer. So that the DVBViewer can record the timer.

If you use the Recordingservice it will record every timer besides the DVBViewer is running in the moment the recording starts. Than the DVBViewer will record it.

The reason I am asking is because I wanted to use a certain plugin twice, and I read that with the current recording service this should be possible, by using 2 folders :

plugins\plugins1

plugins\plugins2

So for that to work I need to use the latest recording service ?