Setting for renderer per decoder

John Hind

I'm in renderer hell again! I updated my video card to ATI HD4850 and now the EVR does not work at all (black video area, sometimes with narrow strips of video rendered down each side). Only the overlay mixer works with both HD and normal, but this is not really satisfactory because it trips Vista into Basic mode and sometimes blocks other video applications. The VMR9 renderer is fine for all channels except HD, were it causes DVBViewer to crash.

My suggestion is simple: In DirectX settings, there should be a seperate Renderer setting corresponding to each Decoder setting. This could be done by swapping the Decoder and Render columns and moving the other settings to the bottom of the page. If this was done, I could set the VMR9 renderer for MPEG2 and Overlay for H.264. It might also be useful to select different audio renderers for each audio decoder, for example to use surround sound when available.