WHS crashes during recording

Kim Weiss

I have been very happy user for DVBViewer for years now. Last working configuration I had was based on Vista Premium. Now because I need a fileserver, and Vista is very slow and unreliable for this, I wanted to try Window Home Server (SP2).

Everything goes fine, hardware is the same, but I changed pata disk to sata disk and removed a graphic card. And changed Vista Premium to WHS. I have Hauppauge 500 something as my tv-card, new drivers didn't installs at all, didn't find any hardware. Older driver ok. Then I installed DVBViewer 3.9.0 and newest Recording Service. And copied all data from old disk to DVBViewer folders. Everything looks to work ok. But, when DVBViewer has recorded program for about 20-25 minutes, WHS crashes to blue screen and resets computer. First I removed Recording Service, then changed Ffdshow to Dscaler as codec. Then I dont understand anymore.

I think that there is two possibilities. First, WHS not compatible with Hauppauge drivers, or DVBViewer. Second, sata disk is not working ok. Computer doesn't always start ok after bios screen, saying that there is no boot disk or something. Sure I can try to install WHS to pata disk, does it help?

All ideas are welcome!

support.zip

I also installed Vmware server to that WHS and tried to install Hauppauge drivers into virtual XP but there is no tv card available...

Any ideas about any os doing fileserving well plus DVBViewer installed, are very very wellcome!

• 3 weeks later...

There is no better help but help myself. I bought TerraTec Cinergy 2400i DT, installed it and now for first evening, it has been recording very well. Sometimes it doesn't remember to change channel when I wish that to happen, but has to try again. So: Hauppauge Nova 500 for sale, working perfecty, unless put into WHS.