Audio/Video sync issue

Conrad.

Evening all,

I'm having some issues on my system when playing back recorded streams. If I pause the video or skip forwards the sound and the video become unsynchronised; video falls behind audio. If I allow the video to play from the beginning, the audio and video stay in sync and, after allowing the file to play from the beginning, skipping back doesn't cause any issues. It's an odd one.

With timeshift enabled (which is also set to record as .ts files) I can skip forwards and backwards without any issues, it's only on skipping forwards when replaying recorded shows.

Also, replaying the recorded files in MPC or VLC doesn't have exactly the same effect; when skipping forwards though I either lose sound while the video catches up or I get probably 2 or 3 frames a second video while the sound catches up. This usually takes less than 5 or 10 seconds to rectify itself, depending on how far it's skipped.

I realise I haven't posted a support.zip file and that's mainly because I don't think it's DVBViewers fault. I'm asking on this forum as there are so many knowledgeable directshow people here that some people might be able to guide me or point me in the right direction.

The issue happens with standard definition content with no upscaling output to a resolution od 720 x 1280. I'm using an AMD dual core 2.44GHZ processor overclocked to 2.6 with 2GB of RAM. Personally I suspect the graphics card (a passively cooled nVidia 8500GT, it's a low end card) and I'm going to try my 8800 GTS in there to determine whether that's the cause.

One question I have is, do the video codec settings in the directX section of the options affect the playback of recorded streams? If I change my video renderer from nVidia to ffdshow when watching a recorded program, should that make a difference?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. If I've left out any pertinent or useful information, please let me know.

Thanks

Conrad

Edited by Conrad.

Ok, a bit more playing and I think I've found that it's a codec issue. I didn't realise that I was using the same codec even after changing it in the DVBViewer setup screen as this doesn't have any effect until you restart DVBViewer. I don't know if this is a bug or just somthing that should perhaps be documented as a known issue? Once you know about it it's easy enough to work around it. Graphedit was really helpful here.

So it looks like the nVidia codec would lose sync and isn't as fast as other available ones, which I guess ties in with other comments on this board.