DVBViewer always on feature?

mirc0n

Hi,

Is there somewhere list of parameters that can be given to DVBViewer.exe?

I was planning to keep DVBViewer always running, so it does not need to be started by some external application

when recording needs to be started.

To do that I would need to do following;

1) When windows starts/resumes, DVBViewer is started without audio & video and minimized to systray

2) When user wants to close DVBViewer, it is minimized to systray and audio & video is disabled.

Any ideas if it is possible to do that with latest DVBViewer?

Do you see some problem with my plan?

thanks

Is there somewhere list of parameters that can be given to DVBViewer.exe?

All commands are written in the "actions.ini" file you can find in DVBViewer program folder...

I was planning to keep DVBViewer always running, so it does not need to be started by some external application

when recording needs to be started.

Have you ever considered to use the DVBViewer Recording Service? The last beta has also a very nice and useful Web/mobil interface...

Do you see some problem with my plan?

Yes, in point #2: AFAIK you cannot prevent DVBViewer shutdown...

The best way I see to accomplish point #2 IMO could be:

• create another DVBViewer icon (just copy the one you have on your desktop) and rename in something like "Close DVBViewer"

• add "-c -x16382" to the command line of the new icon (right click on it / "Property" / "Link" / add in field "Destination")

• in "Settings / Options / General" set "Show DVBViewer in" to "System tray"

and use that icon to make DVBViewer "disappear"

:blush:

All commands are written in the "actions.ini" file you can find in DVBViewer program folder...

Thanks a lot!

Parameter -fullscreen also works, where those are documented? ;)

Anyways, I see that I can do the same thing with -x5.

Have you ever considered to use the DVBViewer Recording Service? The last beta has also a very nice and useful Web/mobil interface...

Actually I have considered it, I am using some plugins which does not want to work with that.

Also I have heard that there has been some problems with it.

I would like to have just one recording service, one web service ...

Yes, in point #2: AFAIK you cannot prevent DVBViewer shutdown...

The best way I see to accomplish point #2 IMO could be:

• create another DVBViewer icon (just copy the one you have on your desktop) and rename in something like "Close DVBViewer"

• add "-c -x16382" to the command line of the new icon (right click on it / "Property" / "Link" / add in field "Destination")

• in "Settings / Options / General" set "Show DVBViewer in" to "System tray"

and use that icon to make DVBViewer "disappear"

:blush:

You pretty much solved my problem.

Usually I use my remote controller to control DVBViewer. I can assign "power off" button to execute;

DVBViewer.exe -c -x16382

Sometimes I also use keyboard, to get it working perfectly, I suppose there should be new option what to do

when DVBViewer is closed -> minimize (includes disable A/V).

Thank you!

Hmpfs.. didn't actually work as I supposed;

1) I started using command; DVBViewer.exe -x5 <-- went to fullscreen, like it was supposed to go

2) DVBViewer.exe -c -x16382 <-- hides the window, I can see only tray bar icon. Why did this hide the window? I didn't suppose it, though that was what I wanted ;)

3) DVBViewer.exe -x5 <-- goes to fullscreen again, good.

4) DVBViewer.exe -c -x16382 <-- does nothing :blush:

Any ideas why those parameters worked at step 2) but not anymore in step 4)?

BTW. If I get this working, do I still need scheduler.exe to wake up my computer to record?

DVBViewer.exe is supposed to be started when windows is started. Probably with parameters -c -x16382.

Or is it enough that I have told DVBViewer.exe to use task scheduler?

Edited by mirc0n
Any ideas why those parameters worked at step 2) but not anymore in step 4)?

You are right, " -x5" work like a flip-flop, one time it work and next time not...

But I found a workaround B) : add another "-x5" (ie "DVBViewer.exe -x5 -x5")...

...and also a "-x1" if you want to be sure DVBViewer stay on top (but this is a permanent option...).

do I still need scheduler.exe to wake up my computer to record?

AFAIK yes...

DVBViewer.exe is supposed to be started when windows is started.

Of course, if windows start after a recording scheduler command; otherwise only if you have it in the "Start Menu\Programs\StartUp folder" :blush:

Probably with parameters -c -x16382

Absolutely not, or (again) only if you have inserted those parameter in his "Start Menu\Programs\StartUp folder" icon...

BTW: in the Timer window you can set "Disable AV" for every record (but it seems you whould do exactly the opposite ;) )...

;)

Something must be broken now..

If I start DVBViewer with parameter -x5, it will go to fullscreen, which is correct.

Then I call DVBViewer -x16382, window minimized, correct. Then if I call DVBViewer -x5,

it goes to windowed mode. Video not working, audio has been working all the time.

OSD is not working. RebuildGraph does not fix it. If I press minimize button from the window,

nothing happens.

any ideas?

Edited by mirc0n

Now I got it working;

When windows starts I start DVBViewer;

DVBViewer -x16386 -x16382

So DVBViewer is started without A/V and minimized to systray.

When I want to watch DVBViewer;

DVBViewer -x16388 -x16397 -x5

So A/V is enabled, window restored and then put to fullscreen

When I want to stop wathing;

DVBViewer -x16386 -x5 -x16382

A/V disabled, fullscreen toggled -> goes to windowed mode and then window is minimized

Top optimize things bit, I would like to add parameter -c when I want to minimize DVBViewer,

not just disable A/V.

Any ideas if there is a way to return to last channel?

Sure I could add there parameter -c1 when DVBViewer is resumed, but it would then always go

to channel 1.

Top optimize things bit, I would like to add parameter -c when I want to minimize DVBViewer,

not just disable A/V.

Sure I could add there parameter -c1 when DVBViewer is resumed, but it would then always go

to channel 1.

Yes, you can call -x63.. don't know why I did not get this working in a first place ;)

Next, couple of things.

I understand that I probably use DVBViewer way that it was not supposed to be used.

So my plan is to keep DVBViewer ALWAYS running, so web service is always accessible, no need to start DVBViewer from web page.

DVBViewer does not suddenly start when recording is supposed to be started.

1) Whats the point of task scheduler setting in DVBViewer ssettings? I have understood that there is no use for that

setting if you do not use Scheduler.exe also. If it is so, then why Scheduler.exe has its own setting too?

I start to feel that Scheduler.exe is not suitable for my usage, so I might need to write my own version. So I would like to

understand some details of this.

2) Can I configure what Scheduler.exe puts to task scheduler? Now it seems to put command "Scheduler.exe -x" there. How about

if I would like to put there for example "DVBViewer.exe -c -x<minimize>"? Is this possible?

I would like to use Scheduler.exe only to put tasks in task scheduler, it would not start DVBViewer.exe, since DVBViewer is always running.

3) I have DVBViewer running minimized, channel is not tuned (takes around 30MB of memory). When recording is started, DVBViewer is suddendly

tuned to channel and audio/video is enabled. Is this how it is supposed to work? Is it possible to do recording "background", so audio/video is not enabled?

I have two tuners in my computer. I am not really sure if it really shows video and plays audio (configuring my system remotely..) but atleast "tick" from the

audio/video disabled setting is removed.

Would it be possible to untune DVBViewer after recording is finished? When DVBViewer is untuned, it takes around 30MB and cpu usage or more or less none.

During recording, memory usage is 70M and cpu usage is "some". After recording, channel is not untuned, so DVBViewer consumes around the same mem/cpu as

during recording.

So user has not touched the computer at all, recording was just started since there was a timer.

If this is not possible, I suppose I could do some external application which could handle it? It would call DVBViewer -c when recording is finished, IF user is not

using DVBViewer (not sure how I can detect this ;)).

thanks again ;)

3) I have DVBViewer running minimized, channel is not tuned (takes around 30MB of memory). When recording is started, DVBViewer is suddendly

tuned to channel and audio/video is enabled. Is this how it is supposed to work? Is it possible to do recording "background", so audio/video is not enabled?

I have two tuners in my computer. I am not really sure if it really shows video and plays audio (configuring my system remotely..) but atleast "tick" from the

audio/video disabled setting is removed.

Now I re-checked this at home locally;

If DVBViewer is minimized & untuned and recording starts, DVBViewer pops up (as windowed), tunes to channel which is recorded and

enables audio video. Does it really have to enable audio and video? Can I somehow prevent DVBViewer doing it? Also I do not want to

see the window, it should stay minimized...

I'm sorry, but I loose the main point in that mess of questions...

If it is so, then why Scheduler.exe has its own setting too?

You can read about that here...

Does it really have to enable audio and video? Can I somehow prevent DVBViewer doing it? Also I do not want to

see the window, it should stay minimized... ... but atleast "tick" from the audio/video disabled setting is removed.

Why "removed"? IMO tick "Disable AV" is what you need to keep DVBViewer quiet...

Would it be possible to untune DVBViewer after recording is finished?

Maybe a workaround can be to program another timer just after the record with "DVBViewer.exe -x16386"...

Yes, "-x63"

;)