Help me understand TV Server vs. Recording service

improwise

I'm trying to figure out the relationship between the TV server and the recording service. As I understand it, the TV Server only allows redistribution of TV channels across the network, but doesnt support recording, and the recording service does the opposite, correct? If so, what is the reason for this solution, rather than having a TV server that does the recording as well? I find this a bit tricky to configure, especially since it doesnt appear that I can control the recording service from the DVBViewer program, but only from the web interface (with regards to new recordings). One solution would be to skip the recording service and use the DVBViewer for all recordings, but I have not been able to configure the TV Server so that DVBViewer can actually see both my TV cards (ie having several Unicase Multimedia devices) so I don't know how to tune one channel and record another at the same time. Am I missing something here, because this seems like a somewhat complicated solution compared to just having a TV Server with recording capabilites? And even though there is a web EPG with the recording service, it feels a bit strange not to use the EPG already in the DVBViewer, especially since I use that for "tuning EPG".

Edited by improwise