First experiences after severall days of use.

NeoMagic

Dear developers, dear community members,

I thought I share my experiences and problems with you, probably it helps someone else not to struggle over the same problems.

Configuration:

• ASUS P4P800
  • P4 2.8 Ghz
  • 2x512 MB Infineon 400 DDR Ram
  • Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS (with Inspire T7700 Soundsytem)
  • ATI Radeon 8500 upgraded to Radeon 9100
  • SkyStar2 Sattelite Card
  • WindowsXP SP1 with DirectX 9b
  • ACE Mega CoDec Pack
  • Dual Screen Configurtation with an TFT (digital connected) and a Beamer (analogue connected) as secondary screen (Desktop extension).

Chapter I - Start and initial problems

last Saturday I finally moved my --------------- to get a digital enabeld LNB, after mounting I moved the cable from my old analogue Satelitte Receiver to my SkyStar 2 Card in my PC.

At the beginning I had regular Bluescreens under Windows until I noticed that the same IRQ for Soundcard an SkyStar2 Sat card isn't the best solution (althogh Plug & Play and IRQ sharing) at that point I wished back those old tiny jumpers. OK I switched the SkyStar2 Card to another Slot and I spared myself the bluescreens.

Chapter II - First expriences

I finaly was able to start DVBViewer without problems (the TE Version) after a few tries I transfered the money for full Version of DVBViewer, as I couldn't wait till I got the registration Data I downloaded the Fullversion (1.99) from a Filesharing Service (Sorry to the Developers, but I couldn't wait :D).

Then the Problems continued, mostly the missing Deinterlacing function annoyed me.

I was happy that DVBViewer is also able to show an Image on the secondary Display (Congratulations). But here comes a little problem when I disable the Desktop Extension and I start DVBViewer it remembers it position on the second Screen although it isn't active. So a little Feature Request:

When starting DVBViewer check if window position is in the viewable area.

Chapter III - Testing and playing aroung

After I got the first receptions of digital TV reception over the PC I tried different Video Codecs, often the Programm just freezed, crashed, there was no sound, no picture or scrambeled Sound or Picture.

So I started trying other DVB Programms, I must say beside DVBViewer the only good working programs were:

SkyView (from Marfi), for beginners it might be a bit complicated as there are many possible switches to turn on or of.

ProgDVB is also quite easy but a bit difficult to set up as there are many different menus and submenus which are in a way connected. What I really enjoyed was the easy timeshift function. Just press pause and play and it works, in DVBViewer I had to play a bit around till I figuered it out.

Problems and an open End

• Many crashes and very instable running, especially when the program crashes whithout expecting it (while running or changing channel).
  • Many difficulties with AC3 (no Sound, scrambeld Soung, no image, and the combinations of these points). Another point is that sometimes it works and when I start the program the next day it crashes or it doesn't work anymore.
  • No real integration of an DeInterlacing filter, is it possible to ad a configuration/activation Setting for a free DeInterlacing Filters, I'm sure there is a way to integrate the filter but for me it seems pretty complicated. (At the moment I use the Elcard MPEG2 Filter with DeInterlacer activated, but it isn't the best solution).
  • I haven't understood why the Different Renderers have different reception capabilities, (e.g. Marfi's Renderer ~72%
    SkyStar 2 4.2x Renderer ~53%)
  • Why have different CoDecs different Display possibilities (e.g. hanging picture, scrambled picture, which occur with one CoDec but not with another).
  • Why isn't there an automatic Zoom function to get rid of the black borders automatically (e.g. BSPlayer), or at least apply automaticaly the preset zoom settings (which each channel change the black borders are back although the zoom settings are saved).

My Conclusion

Although digital Satelite reception is available now for several years there is still a lot of work to do, as I got many many crashes and instable TV reception.

Would be nice to here from you your experiences, and some Informations about the above explained problems.

I downloaded the Fullversion (1.99)

There are alooooot of 1.99 versions.

If You ask questions you should always first try with the latest version. By now this is Version 2.0R2

Beside that: You won't get much help from me for a stolen version, as I don't believe your story about the ... couldn't wait...

Hi,

yesterday I got my registration data, the Hackbart brothers can confirm that :D.

The programs I use, I register. The work which is done should be honored!

Now I'm using the version V2.0 R2, it got better but many problems still resist (although it got a bit better)

Greetings :jump:

Ok. If that is true I appologize.

So now: Which problems persist with 2.0R2 ??

(As You wrote a lot of things and it would take a lot of time to answer them all.)

(You can also use the search-function of the forum to get an answer for the one or the other question -> hint. hint. :D )

Yes sure, I already searched the forum, the main problem isn't probably a real DVBViewer problem. Especially the unrecunstructable problems are difficult to handle (what to search for?).

By the way I just wanted to express my experiences. *smile*

Ok. So I will answer just randomly some of Your questions:

Many crashes and very instable running, especially when the program crashes whithout expecting it (while running or changing channel).

I had this problem, when I was not using Marfis-Rendercore and when I used PowerDVD3-Decoder -> now I use Marfis-Rendercore and PowerDVD5-Trial-Decoder

No real integration of an DeInterlacing filter, is it possible to ad a configuration/activation Setting for a free DeInterlacing Filters

Try the PowerDVD5-Decoder. In my eyes it has the best deinterlacer available on the market (for now)

I haven't understood why the Different Renderers have different reception capabilities, (e.g. Marfi's Renderer ~72%

SkyStar 2 4.2x Renderer ~53%)

As much as I know this is only cosmetic, don't bother -> just different routines very much likely

When starting DVBViewer check if window position is in the viewable area.

I had a similar prob a few days before: I used a crt that can only diplay 800*600 and the DVBViewer was therefore somewhere nowhere. -> I changed the position which is saved in the setup.ini -> problem solved for me...

ACE Mega CoDec Pack

I only know about the KLite-Codec-Pack -> this is delivered with an old PowerDVD-Decoder which is not capable of zapping (crashes) and HDTV (hangs)....

So far for now.

1. hmm ok I installed the new PowerDVD Codec seems to work better :D (the old one had many crashes)

2. DeInterlacing seems to be better now.

3. Ohh ok but it irritates a bit.

4. Sure I did the same thing but we are probably the experienced User, but can you expect this from a beginner or a someone who isn't that much into PC technology?

5. In my eyes one of the most compatible and complete CoDec packs (before that I had the Nemo CoDec Pack and I got many problems. The ACE mega CoDec pack worked perfectly for me till now (http://www.codec-download.de/article.php?sid=15.

First of all thanks a lot for your support. I don't comply about the work of the developers but some things could be done easier for the user, there are still many thinks to do (after 3 years of digital satelitte TV).

*smile* just got a new error :jump: "FATAL ERROR in Sky Star 2 card", I click on OK and everything works fine (probably I should just restart my computer just another time).

Wouuuhh 33MB Codec-Pack..... I doubt it is usefull to have such a lot of filters installed at the same time.... (And a lot in the list are already outdated again: Elecard 2.0, divx 5.03,...)

4. Sure I did the same thing but we are probably the experienced User, but can you expect this from a beginner or a someone who isn't that much into PC technology?

Well, yes. Just post it in the wishlist if you want..... :jump:

(Help to make things better.................................. :D )

Guest Oliver

Randomly installing a codec pack is the worst thing to do. For the DVBViewer you only need an MPEG2 decoder (the TechniSat package is bundled with the Mediamatics decoder, which has excellent de-interlacing) and an AC3 decoder, either the Moonlight Odio Dekoda or Vigovsky Alexanders AC3 filter. Both are freeware.

Due to it's low price the DVBViewer doesn't bring its own decoders.

Usually there shouldn't be any crashs. When posting a bug you ought to read the pinned thread in "bug reports" first and then the manual, which should answer most questions.

Bye, Oliver