Disapointed

chp

I'm really disapointed with DVBViewer. :wacko:

In few words,here are the reasons I'll pass this release.

1) Many features sold in this package are simply not availaibles :

- DVD :

a) If you don't own a saparate DVD software (like PowerDVD 8) no chance to read DVDs in DVBViewer. According to this forum, DVBViewer uses the DVD filters installed by other (legal?) DVD players.

o:) I own PowerDVD 8 (and his filters) and, even with it, no chance to see REGION 1 DVDs in DVBViewer with Cyberlink filters. Note: PowerDVD allow me to see Region 1 DVDs with 3rd party region free softwares.

- Teletext (DVB-T?):

No Chance to see Teletext. Why do we need of 3rd party plugin? Why not included in the package?

- Manuals

Inexistent manual or at best the one provided is not up to date. Many infos are missing (exemples : how to configure teletext or what do you need to watch DVDs)

- DVB-T TV:

a) No LCN (local channel number) sorting.

o:) very "basic" sorting.

c) When using a standard "multimedia keyboard" the channel browsing (channel+ / channel-) don't work for favorites channels.

d) The interface is not ergonomic. Even with the build-in skins, the navigation is not user friendly. (My Wife hate it).

e) Too many crashes. (I own a registred copy of DVBViewer, 2 differents USB2 DVB-T sticks, 2 differents PCs).

f) No HD (h264) codec provided by default. Must use 3rd party filters (Cyberlink again?)

- General:

Many things still to be done.

Very bad support from this forum.

I bought it to see if it could replace all (or some) of my allready installed programs in a HTPC context and in fact, DVBViewer act just as a frontend for others. It look unfinished and certainly not for newbies.

For my part, I'm not a newbie when talking multimedia, codecs and filters. But in the current state of developement, I can't recomend it to anybody who don't have enougth knowlege.

Definitively not for HTPCs.

I'll continue to look forward, with faith in fact DVBViewer is young and the developpers have the ability to make this program better, less dependant on Cyberlink (or such?) and self dependant with his own filters.

I don't like to post things like that on this forum, but buying a product wich doesn't include what's sold for.... :bye:

- DVD :

a) If you don't own a saparate DVD software (like PowerDVD 8) no chance to read DVDs in DVBViewer. According to this forum, DVBViewer uses the DVD filters installed by other (legal?) DVD players.

And all that for 15 Euro, right?

I own PowerDVD 8 (and his filters) and, even with it, no chance to see REGION 1 DVDs in DVBViewer with Cyberlink filters. Note: PowerDVD allow me to see Region 1 DVDs with 3rd party region free softwares.

No problem here, at least under Windows XP. Dunno whether MS has added some DRM under Vista...

- Teletext (DVB-T?):

No Chance to see Teletext. Why do we need of 3rd party plugin? Why not included in the package?

No problem here. Press ESC. An OSD should open where TeleText can be selected. Or you learn a key (remote or keyboard) under options -> input that should open TeleText.

a) No LCN (local channel number) sorting.

Use the favorites concept within the channel editor.

c) When using a standard "multimedia keyboard" the channel browsing (channel+ / channel-) don't work for favorites channels.

They do if you tell the keys to do so. Check options -> input.

d) The interface is not ergonomic. Even with the build-in skins, the navigation is not user friendly. (My Wife hate it).

Try different skins, e.g. concinnity 3D. If you don't like it, contribute your own one. A lot of people contributed to concinnity 3D so it should be to the general taste :wacko: .

e) Too many crashes. (I own a registred copy of DVBViewer, 2 differents USB2 DVB-T sticks, 2 differents PCs).

I never experience crashes. More details are welcome.

f) No HD (h264) codec provided by default. Must use 3rd party filters (Cyberlink again?)

You know how much that would cost?

Think you should first get familiar with some things...

Edited by CiNcH

1) compare the price of e.g. pdvd with the DVBViewer. Somebody who thinks that you can get the same plus a dvb application for less must be somewhat confused :wacko: Here's a fairy tale to understand what I mean :bye:

2) no problem with standard videotext

Pfuitt While being French I will start thinking that French guys are never happy... I think that you're fairly lucky that some people here still spend time answering your questions/criticism!

Looking at your previous posts, it seems that you spend quite some time looking at things so I'm a bit surprised that you did not spend the same amount of time tweaking a bit your installation. Here Teletext works out of the box without a hitch and Concinnity 3D skin just looks fantastic...

I'm really disapointed with DVBViewer. :wacko:

Well, perhaps the codecs aren't included but as ability of the program to show you a correct h264 stream with all renders DVBViewer seems to be mature and well done.

No errors with different codec and renders methods and all are working at the end you will find a combination that will work stable onto your system.

With some Combination of codec and VMR I had BSOD but seems not to be a limitation of the program but a problem of the codec with the VMR (I had similar error with all other DVB app and also Direct show app)

I found my best combinations of codec and renders and so I bought DVBViewer. And h264 wasn't so smooth on my system.

But at the end It's more than a year that people here works on it, and you can see the good results.

Sorry to hear you aren't happy with the program. I find DVBViewer the best DVB-T prog I've tried. And I like it even more because it is so configurable; most HTPC apps hide away or don't have any of the options this one has :wacko:

EDIT: Here's the link to that skin mentioned above: concinnity 3D

Edited by avoidz

Regarding PowerDVD 8 - complain to Cyberlink for locking their codecs to their own application because it's not really DVBViewer's fault. Furthermore, the cost of providing MPEG2 and h.264 codecs with DVBViewer would increase costs significantly.

But personally (and speaking just for myself) I couldn't care less whether or not DVBViewer plays DVDs because I bought it to watch and mainly record TV, and it does that better than any other application out there, bar none.

you knew before buying it. So what?

Here

- Teletext works

- DVD plays (ok. normal european dvd)

- Cyberlink Codecs (Mpeg, h264) works

- ffdShow (OpenSource) works (h264)

- OSD change every week. But ok change back to concinnity 3D also every week
:bye:

- no crashes (maybe no
install of DVBViewer ?

- WAF may differ. No guarantee for that. Here it differs from day to day
:wacko:

- I've done no such things as multimedia or codecs before my HTPC and DVBV. The manual (if reading) and the
(ok, german) and (most) the forum (search) helped me very good.

- if real problems (the crashes) so please follow

But personally (and speaking just for myself) I couldn't care less whether or not DVBViewer plays DVDs because I bought it to watch and mainly record TV, and it does that better than any other application out there, bar none.

Same. I never thought DVD when I bought this program either :wacko: