Freesat EPG - prepurchase query

garywood84

I have recently bought a Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-S Plus card, and am using it to view Freesat Channels in the UK.

The software supplied with the card does not allow me to access the Freesat 8 day EPG, instead showing only now and next data. I've read that the latest version of DVBViewer will allow me to see the full Freesat EPG, but can't find very much information on this.

I was therefore wondering if someone could answer the following queries for me:

1. Does DVBViewer provide the Freesat EPG?
  2. How easy is it to configure the EPG (i.e. does the software do everything itself, or do I have to download the EPG data from the web manually)?
  3. Can recordings be scheduled by selecting programmes in the EPG?
  4. If recordings can be scheduled, does DVBViewer have to be running for these to work, or does it rely on Windows Scheduler, as does the Hauppauge software?
  5. Finally, how easy is it to configure the Hauppauge remote control to operate DVBViewer? Do I have to manually configure it, or is a "profile" already included?

If anyone replying to this could post a screenshot of the Freesat EPG, I'd be grateful.

Many thanks,

Gary

[*]Does DVBViewer provide the Freesat EPG?

Yes!

[*]How easy is it to configure the EPG (i.e. does the software do everything itself, or do I have to download the EPG data from the web manually)?

Fully automatic. You just have to tune to the correct transponder once in a while (or add a timer for it).

[*]Can recordings be scheduled by selecting programmes in the EPG?

Yes!

[*]If recordings can be scheduled, does DVBViewer have to be running for these to work, or does it rely on Windows Scheduler, as does the Hauppauge software?

It also relies on the scheduler, but you can also use the recording service.

[*]Finally, how easy is it to configure the Hauppauge remote control to operate DVBViewer? Do I have to manually configure it, or is a "profile" already included?

AFAIK there's no "profile" included but it is fairly easy to configure it the way you want

Thanks, jf2020.

Re the Freesat EPG: I'm not sure what you mean by "tune to the correct transponder once in a while (or add a timer for it)". Please could you explain this in more detail? (With my standalone Freesat set top box, when I access the guide it automatically updates itself. Does DVBViewer not work like this?)

The Freesat EPG is not broadcast on the same transponder as the Freesat channels themselves. The transponders carrying the channels only carries Now/Next data. This is contrary to Freeview (digital terrestrial through an aerial) where the EPG data and channels are on the same transponder (or frequency in that case).

So for the Freesat EPG to remain updated, it is necessary to tune to the transponder carrying the EPG data.

Does DVBViewer access the appropriate transponder when you access the EPG, then, or do you have the manually access the appropriate transponder at regular intervals? Is there a way to make DVBViewer download the data automatically (say when the program starts)?