No DXVA on DVB streams?

klinkby

Hi, I recently installed DVBV Pro 4.0 and PowerDVD 8U. I use the latest drivers for my ATI HD2400 and Hauppauge HVR-4000 cards

( http://kli.dk/2009/01/03/installing-the-htpc-checklist/ ).

Using the Vista EVR renderer with the Cyberlink decoders both Blu-Ray and 720p h264 movies plays in DVBViewer using <5% CPU, that's just incredible :wacko:

But the DVB-T/S/S2 content from DVB Source doesn't seem to support DXVA - e.g. the FTA HD channels on Astra 19.2' maxes out the CPUs and thus plays staggering.

Have you guys been able to use DXVA2 on DVB streams?

I don't have Vista here, XP only but my experience is similar. I have an ATI 3870HD card and Powerdvd8 and h.264 streams play at 0-5% on the cpu with dxva turned on. Those are dvb-s and dvb-s2 streams I'm talking about. Really neat to turn off dxva in the codec and watch the cpu usage soar to 50-70%. I'm not sure why you can't take advantage of dxva in satellite streams when it works on other streams...it would seem logical that it would work.

Here I have a XP SP3, HD3200, DVB-V 4.0, PowerDVD8 Codecs, ATI 8.10/8.12(new)

DXVA is working.

Maybe DXVA ist not activatet? There are different Codecs for Mpeg (SD-TV) and h264.

• 3 weeks later...
Here I have a XP SP3, HD3200, DVB-V 4.0, PowerDVD8 Codecs, ATI 8.10/8.12(new)

DXVA is working.

Maybe DXVA ist not activatet? There are different Codecs for Mpeg (SD-TV) and h264.

Thanks for the replies. DXVA is activated: h264 file streams works perfect, only when playing DVB-S2 streams (e.g. Astra HD), the CPU shoots up to 80%.

Maybe it's a 64 bit issue?

Thanks for the replies. DXVA is activated: h264 file streams works perfect, only when playing DVB-S2 streams (e.g. Astra HD), the CPU shoots up to 80%.

Maybe it's a 64 bit issue?

Strange. AstraHD on ATI (x64 vista) with PDVD 8 codecs is <5% on my comp. Maybe try to install AVIVO pack (not included in Catalyst drivers pack) and check View/Filters/PDVD8 DXVA checkbox.

Strange. AstraHD on ATI (x64 vista) with PDVD 8 codecs is <5% on my comp. Maybe try to install AVIVO pack (not included in Catalyst drivers pack) and check View/Filters/PDVD8 DXVA checkbox.

All time, with Graphedit, I verify what is the Codec really used when running DVB applications in SD or HD, and I change priority with DXmgr or DSFmgr to force to use Cyberlink V8 Codecs.

Cybelink decoders store the settings "per application" in the registry. See

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\Common\cl264dec

So enabling DXVA in one app doesn't automatically enable it in other apps.

If this doesn't help: What about playback of TS files with H.264 content using DVBSource. Same issue?

I'm sure the right decoder is selected. The View>Filters menu shows: EVR Renderer, Default DirectSound Device, Audio Callback, DVB OSD-Source, Cyberlink H.264/AVC Decoder (PDVD8), AC3Filter, DVB Source.

The properties dialog for the H.264 filter shows a checked "Use DXVA". I also verified the registry key Griga suggested. There's a DVBViewer entry with UIUseHVA=1.

As suggested I recorded a .ts file from the HD dvb source, and played it back. It also didn't use DXVA.

I've successfully played back other H.264 files with DXVA, so I suppose the hardware encoder stumbles on the DVB stream contents. Any ideas?

Hi Klinkby,

I had extensive struggle too with DXVA on my system, using a 2600XT - issue was that the DXVA did not work in HD with any application (PowerDVD, DVBViewer, Media Player Classic), but worked in SD. Your issue is a little bit different.

I did numerous testings, all described in http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?showtopic=31448. Hope this can help.

Bottom line is, I upgraded to a fanless 4650, which works perfectly (DXVA, deinterlacing, SD, HD, 1080i, 1080p, etc). IQ is better than anything I've seen. I'll use the 2600XT for an upgrade on my game PC, to be used in cross-fire with another card.

Good luck,

Ben

Same problem.

DXVA don´t work in HD dvb-s2 stream.

I've Ati Radeon HD4350 which get DXVA in h.264 .mkv playback files (Haali+Ciberlynk v8 h.264) using DVBViewer or MPC (CPU load <15% GPU load=0% )

In HD dvb-s2 channels CPU load goes to 70% and GPU 75%.