HD Picture Problem

ormester

I've been using PowerCinema 6 to watch BBC HD and I get excellent picture and generally good sound apart from an occassional drop-out. I find the program cumbersome and limiting however, so I installed DVBViewer to get more control over options.

I'm using DVBViewer 4.0 and I'm finding the performance on SD channels to be fine. However, on BBC HD and Luxe HD (haven't had chance to test ITV HD due to lack of prgramming) I find the picture gradually degrades, although audio is fine.

Initially, when launching an HD channel the picture is fine but after only a few minutes it's as if the frame rate begins to drop with noticable hesitation and jerkynes particularly in action sequences. The picture quality continues to worsen until it's almost unwatchable.

Switching back to PowerCinema I see none of these effects - the picture remains as good as always, so I'm confident my hardware is not at fault.

I've tried various options for the DivX settings with different codecs etc. but nothing seems to make any difference.

Intel 8400

Asus P5N7A-VM, Nvidia GeForce 9300 Chipset

Asus En8500GT graphics card hybrid SLI

Hauppauge HVR-4000 TV card

Vista x64

I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to how to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

David

support.zip

I've been using PowerCinema 6 to watch BBC HD and I get excellent picture and generally good sound apart from an occassional drop-out. I find the program cumbersome and limiting however, so I installed DVBViewer to get more control over options.

I'm using DVBViewer 4.0 and I'm finding the performance on SD channels to be fine. However, on BBC HD and Luxe HD (haven't had chance to test ITV HD due to lack of prgramming) I find the picture gradually degrades, although audio is fine.

Initially, when launching an HD channel the picture is fine but after only a few minutes it's as if the frame rate begins to drop with noticable hesitation and jerkynes particularly in action sequences. The picture quality continues to worsen until it's almost unwatchable.

Switching back to PowerCinema I see none of these effects - the picture remains as good as always, so I'm confident my hardware is not at fault.

I've tried various options for the DivX settings with different codecs etc. but nothing seems to make any difference.

Intel 8400

Asus P5N7A-VM, Nvidia GeForce 9300 Chipset

Asus En8500GT graphics card hybrid SLI

Hauppauge HVR-4000 TV card

Vista x64

I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to how to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

David

Am I alone with this problem?

hi,

im not sure but it might be a setting (DECIMATION) made directly in the PDVD codec:

pdvd.jpg

you can access this via filters an holding the ctrl key while clicking on PDVD8

it might be enabled and reduce the quality because of high cpu load...

Edited by Hellrazor_from_Hell
hi,

im not sure but it might be a setting (DECIMATION) made directly in the PDVD codec:

you can access this via filters an holding the ctrl key while clicking on PDVD8

it might be enabled and reduce the quality because of high cpu load...

Can I ask what build of PowerDVD 8 you use to get those options? Can you adjust the color control bars? Also, what is your chipset and CPU? Thanks!

Regarding the OP's problem, do you have the latest update for Power Cinema 6 from here? What renderer are you using?

Edited by dvbrewer
Can I ask what build of PowerDVD 8 you use to get those options? Can you adjust the color control bars? Also, what is your chipset and CPU? Thanks!

Regarding the OP's problem, do you have the latest update for Power Cinema 6 from here? What renderer are you using?

Thanks for your input guys,

Yes, I'm using the latest version of PowerCinema and I'm using EVR Vista Enhanced Renderer.

I can't find the Decimation settings though - can you explain in a bit more detail how to access this panel?

go to filters like on this picture

filters.png

and hold the ctrl key pressed while clicking on the PDVD8 entry

sincerly

hellrazor

Edited by Hellrazor_from_Hell
Thanks for your input guys,

Yes, I'm using the latest version of PowerCinema and I'm using EVR Vista Enhanced Renderer.

I can't find the Decimation settings though - can you explain in a bit more detail how to access this panel?

Another thing I've found, not sure if its significant - if I switch between video setting A & B the picture initially improves before gradually deteriorating again. Something to do with rebuilding graph maybe?

Another thing I've found, not sure if its significant - if I switch between video setting A & B the picture initially improves before gradually deteriorating again. Something to do with rebuilding graph maybe?

Thanks Hellrazor - I was looking in the wrong place.

When I opened the filter properties panel the first thing I noticed was the huge number of dropped frames I was getting - clearly the reason for my poor picture.

Neither the DxVA or Decimation boxes were ticked. I enabled DxVA and nothing seemed to change. I then ticked the Auto Decimation box and immediately the dropped frame count halted. I've been watching BBC HD for 10 minutes now without a single dropped frame - Hooray!!

I've no idea what I've done but it's fixed the problem.

Many thanks for your help

well - normally - activation of decimation should lower the quality of the picture, since it reduces post-processing (AFAIK) to lower cpu load.

but anyway, im glad i could help...

i wish i could watch BBC, too :)

go to filters like on this picture

and hold the ctrl key pressed while clicking on the PDVD8 entry

sincerly

hellrazor

Hey, thanks for this tip it gives all the options as in your post. :) Should've read the manual (oh wait there wasn't one :lol:).

Edited by dvbrewer