Please help problems with hardware..?

vimes

Hello

I bought DVBViewer, couldn't try it out before to see if it would work, and so installed it on my PC...

Vista (SP1) 32 bit

NVidia 9400 IGP the chipset is the 9400. The NVidia drivers used are the 185.20's

Motherboard...

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mother...?ProductID=2946

GA-E7AUM-DS2H

E2180 CPU

CoreAVC and DivX 7 codec

My TV card is a Pinnacle 7010ix and I'm using the DVB S to connect to my previously used SKY minidish. I am using the blackgold 6in1 drivers.

The TV card is shown here...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pinnacle-7010iX-PCTV...121128003r16941

The drivers used are found here...

BGT3540_6.0.0.39_32bit

http://shop.blackgold.tv/pages.php?pageid=12

I used Pinnacle's own drivers and it still made no difference.

Using the wizard when DVM viewer is installed and it will not scan for channels, having tried numerous times, it will just do nothing when the scan button is pressed. I went to the members download area and installed the latest beta to a duplicated folder and tried that. The same result.

I then exited the wizard so I could launch the viewer.

Doing that I then did a channel scan and it failed several times to find any channels.

Then it found all of my channels and then it worked well. Not sure why that worked as I hadn't even restarted the application it just started to scan and found channels.

However I now start it up and I get this.....

notworkoy8.th.jpg

Rarely when I start it up or play around with trying to get a channel I then get this...

workof7.th.jpg

.. then I can view channels and all is well. However most of the time I will get the hardware not found error message.

Me device manager showing my TV card is installed ok...

devicefe6.th.jpg

Rather than go into any more detail I thought that running the support tool and attaching the results should help...

FWIW - Trying Cyberlinks Powercinema 6 or Media Portal and it will work perfectly fine with either of those applications. Although I have now removed Cyberlinks software.

It is, as yet, unusable for me to watch TV with.

Thanks for any help.

support.zip

Edited by vimes

As I can no longer edit my own post I thought that I would add this image here...

devicefb3.th.jpg

The above shows the Pinnacle drivers installed and working with my TV card. However DVBViewer is still not working.

Thanks for any help.

No matter how much I try I still can't get it to work, the no hardware found message continues to thwart me.

The first time that I tried Transedit_MMC_Demo it scanned and found channels. So I assumed that all would be well with my card. I have seen it posted that if it works with your card then the DVBViewer will also work.

As I can't get this application to work how do I get a refund as it is of no use to me..?

BTW: Transedit will now not work as it states "Sorry cannot scan - NO required DVB available"

Thanks for any advice

Edited by vimes
I bouight one of these from the same seller and the card keeps disappearing from my setup- I think it may the card is not fully inserted into the PCI-E slot?

Thanks for your reply ;)

I keep the device manager open and the card can be seen there.

If I use Media Portal it works perfectly well each and every time.

Using the DVBViewer I now get No Hardware Available message.

Thanks for your reply ;)

I keep the device manager open and the card can be seen there.

If I use Media Portal it works perfectly well each and every time.

Using the DVBViewer I now get No Hardware Available message.

Well actually I use to get a similar problem with a Hauppauge Nova card (and Gigabyte mATX board)- the problem got fixed almost randomly, possibly installing something from Windows update, or updating the chipset/graphics driver. There seem to be recent updates to drivers for your motherboard in November and January- perhaps you could try updating?

Edited by dvbrewer
Well actually I use to get a similar problem with a Hauppauge Nova card (and Gigabyte mATX board)- the problem got fixed almost randomly, possibly installing something from Windows update, or updating the chipset/graphics driver. There seem to be recent updates to drivers for your motherboard in November and January- perhaps you could try updating?

Thanks again for trying to help :)

My newly installed Vista 32 (SP1) is complete with the very latest chipset etc etc etc drivers. I used the latest Direct X (Nov 08) to complete my install.

Alas the problem with the DVBViewer remains the same.

For whatever reason it gives me the impression that my TV card is very very borderline on being supported with this application, even though MP and Cyberlinks software will work with it without problem.

I have emailed someone within DVB and I would have thought tha tthis post and or the email would have generated some support. Maybe it is just being a little more patient as they could be busy.

However the software is of no use to me at the moment and I am starting to regret investing money into to it without, as yet, having any support to use what I have paid for.

My newly installed Vista 32 (SP1) is complete with the very latest chipset etc etc etc drivers. I used the latest Direct X (Nov 08) to complete my install.

For whatever reason it gives me the impression that my TV card is very very borderline on being supported with this application, even though MP and Cyberlinks software will work with it without problem.

Can I ask how you got the latest drivers? Did Vista get them for you , did you download from NVidia, or get them from Gigabyte? Ideally you should only use the drivers on the Gigabyte site as these have been tested with the mobo. If there is a problem of incompatibility I think it must be between Gigabyte mATX boards and DVBViewer as, like I said I used to have the same problem with no hardware found but with a Hauppauge card- this problem completely disappeared, I think after updating the chipset driver (the only other thing I can think I changed was installing .NET framework 2, 3 + 3.5).

I have resolved my own problem with the Pinnacle card- it turns out my Gigabyte board is slightly out of alignment with the Antec case so when I screwed it in place it pulled it out of the slot slightly so I just took the screw out and pushed it in a little more - now I don't get the card disappearing any more. Maybe as you have a Gigabyte board there might be a similar problem and DVBViewer is more sensitive to this- perhaps you could try unscrewing and see if you can push the card in a little more (the contact area for a PCI-E x1 card is a lot smaller than with a PCI card).

Can I ask how you got the latest drivers? Did Vista get them for you , did you download from NVidia, or get them from Gigabyte? Ideally you should only use the drivers on the Gigabyte site as these have been tested with the mobo. If there is a problem of incompatibility I think it must be between Gigabyte mATX boards and DVBViewer as, like I said I used to have the same problem with no hardware found but with a Hauppauge card- this problem completely disappeared, I think after updating the chipset driver (the only other thing I can think I changed was installing .NET framework 2, 3 + 3.5).

I have resolved my own problem with the Pinnacle card- it turns out my Gigabyte board is slightly out of alignment with the Antec case so when I screwed it in place it pulled it out of the slot slightly so I just took the screw out and pushed it in a little more - now I don't get the card disappearing any more. Maybe as you have a Gigabyte board there might be a similar problem and DVBViewer is more sensitive to this- perhaps you could try unscrewing and see if you can push the card in a little more (the contact area for a PCI-E x1 card is a lot smaller than with a PCI card).

I got the latest drivers from Gigabytes site which had them listed against my board.

The only issue that I have is with this Pinnacle card and the DVBViewer software, all other software which uses the card works fine each and every time. I now wish that Transedit had not worked the time that I tried it, at least it would have saved me the expense of buying the software to find that out.

I removed the card from the 16x PCI-e slot and placed it in the 1x but, as I have already mentioned, it never disappears from the device manager tree it simply will not work with the DVBViewer and work every time with the other software that I have noted.

Edited by vimes
I got the latest drivers from Gigabytes site which had them listed against my board.

The only issue that I have is with this Pinnacle card and the DVBViewer software, all other software which uses the card works fine each and every time. I now wish that Transedit had not worked the time that I tried it, at least it would have saved me the expense of buying the software to find that out.

I removed the card from the 16x PCI-e slot and placed it in the 1x but, as I have already mentioned, it never disappears from the device manager tree it simply will not work with the DVBViewer and work every time with the other software that I have noted.

OK, something occured to me- maybe MediaPortal is hogging your card- try doing Ctrl-Alt-Del>Processes- select TVService.exe and click End Process (that is for XP may be slightly different procedure for Vista). Open DVBViewer, go to Settings>Options>Hardware>Scan Devices.

If that doesn't work remove the BETA folder completely and uninstall DVBViewer. Also delete your configuration folder (location in About> in DVBViewer). Restart. Reinstall DVBViewer 4.0, not BETA. Go into DVBViewer, go to Settings>Options>Hardware>Scan Devices.

Edited by dvbrewer
OK, something occured to me- maybe MediaPortal is hogging your card- try doing Ctrl-Alt-Del>Processes- select TVService.exe and click End Process (that is for XP may be slightly different procedure for Vista). Open DVBViewer, go to Settings>Options>Hardware>Scan Devices.

If that doesn't work remove the BETA folder completely and uninstall DVBViewer. Also delete your configuration folder (location in About> in DVBViewer). Restart. Reinstall DVBViewer 4.0, not BETA. Go into DVBViewer, go to Settings>Options>Hardware>Scan Devices.

WOW - you are a star o:)

Thanks ever so much as the problem does indeed seem to be between the tvservice and the DVBViewer. I would have never have thought of the need to stop the service whilst I tried to use DVBViewer.

A pity that there can't be an automated way to stop and restart the service for when I need to use the DVBViewer but at least there is a work around.

I have even managed to get it to work with EVR and using CoreAVC for the renderer for BBC HD it looks great in full screen but a little truncated and squashed when it is in a window. Using any other renderer it is normal both full and windowed. I tried to use MPC video decoder for the renderer but it did not like that.

Thanks again for your help and I am assuming that those who use MP and the TV server may have a problem similar to mine if they also have DVBViewer. If they do I hope that they find this thread.

WOW - you are a star ;)

Thanks ever so much as the problem does indeed seem to be between the tvservice and the DVBViewer. I would have never have thought of the need to stop the service whilst I tried to use DVBViewer.

A pity that there can't be an automated way to stop and restart the service for when I need to use the DVBViewer but at least there is a work around.

I have even managed to get it to work with EVR and using CoreAVC for the renderer for BBC HD it looks great in full screen but a little truncated and squashed when it is in a window. Using any other renderer it is normal both full and windowed. I tried to use MPC video decoder for the renderer but it did not like that.

Thanks again for your help and I am assuming that those who use MP and the TV server may have a problem similar to mine if they also have DVBViewer. If they do I hope that they find this thread.

Yeh I suddenly realised that was what was making me get the same message on my Hauppauge, nothing to do with chipset drivers after all. :lol: Do you have the Sky/Freesat grabber set up for MediaPortal- if not, download the pdf instruction file and the zip file here. Once you have followed the instructions you should change the EPG settings under General Settings in the TV Server configuration. Uncheck "always try to fill holes", "always try to update existing entries", "epg grabbing while timeshifting/recording". Now you can have it update the EPG at whatever interval you set in minutes- the downside if you only have only one sat feed it will hog it, but it should only use the card for a minute or so, the rest of the time is data processing . So if you want to do that, tick "epg grabbing while idle", then set to refresh to something high like 720, 1440, 2160 or 2880 mins (12, 24, 36, 48 hours) depending how keen you are to pick up EPG changes. The first time you set up the grabber it will use a lot of CPU, 40% + for about an hour, but when it updates it will only take 10 minutes. You can do it manually by unchecking "epg grabbing when idle" and going to manual control>refresh DVB EPG, however it will redo the whole EPG that way and hog the CPU for an hour rather than 10 minutes. ;)

Regarding codecs, have you tried to use the PowerCinema codec? This will use your graphics card to do the processing and free up your CPU.

Edited by dvbrewer
Yeh I suddenly realised that was what was making me get the same message on my Hauppauge, nothing to do with chipset drivers after all. ;) Do you have the Sky/Freesat grabber set up for MediaPortal- if not, download the pdf instruction file and the zip file here. Once you have followed the instructions you should change the EPG settings under General Settings in the TV Server configuration. Uncheck "always try to fill holes", "always try to update existing entries", "epg grabbing while timeshifting/recording". Now you can have it update the EPG at whatever interval you set in minutes- the downside if you only have only one sat feed it will hog it, but it should only use the card for a minute or so, the rest of the time is data processing . So if you want to do that, tick "epg grabbing while idle", then set to refresh to something high like 720, 1440, 2160 or 2880 mins (12, 24, 36, 48 hours) depending how keen you are to pick up EPG changes. The first time you set up the grabber it will use a lot of CPU, 40% + for about an hour, but when it updates it will only take 10 minutes. You can do it manually by unchecking "epg grabbing when idle" and going to manual control>refresh DVB EPG, however it will redo the whole EPG that way and hog the CPU for an hour rather than 10 minutes. ;)

Regarding codecs, have you tried to use the PowerCinema codec? This will use your graphics card to do the processing and free up your CPU.

Good grief, when you thought that you have just learnt enough ;)

I have just about managed to get the WebEPG up and going and now you have kindly linked me to a much better one, thanks.

I will try that one out tomorrow.

I have just found a good codec pack which contains the very latest Cyberlinks H264 codec (CyberLink H264 Video Decoder 2.2.0.1114), amongst others, so I will give the Cyberlinks one a try.

Thank you, again :lol:

Edited by vimes
Good grief, when you thought that you have just learnt enough :lol:

I have just about managed to get the WebEPG up and going and now you have kindly linked me to a much better one, thanks.

I have just found a good codec pack which contains the very latest Cyberlinks H264 codec (CyberLink H264 Video Decoder 2.2.0.1114), amongst others, so I will give the Cyberlinks one a try.

Thank you, again ;)

FWIW: I have found the Cyberlinks codec to be an issue with lip sync (BBC HD) but the Elecard AVC Decoder v1.0.12623.0 [19.12.2008] codec seems great so far.

Good grief, when you thought that you have just learnt enough :D

Thank you, again ;)

Hmm, if you were using WebEPG I'm not sure why the TV Server would've been trying to hog the card? ;) Anyway, if you disable that and follow the instructions for the Freesat/Sky grabber you shouldn't have any problem with it. Do you have two Sat cables going into your Pinnacle? If not it might be worth getting another cable through so you can watch and record another prog on a different transponder (you'll also be less likely to get a clash with DVBViewer as two tuners will be availiable).

With Cyberlink codecs, newer isn't always better ;) Maybe you could try using the older version that came with Power Cinema? Then again if the Elecard version is working you might as well stick with that- are you getting DXVA with it (CPU should be less than 15%)?

EDIT: if you want I'll help you set up the Sky/Freesat EPG on DVBViewer, but let's get the other one done first. :lol:

Edited by dvbrewer
Hmm, if you were using WebEPG I'm not sure why the TV Server would've been trying to hog the card? ;) Anyway, if you disable that and follow the instructions for the Freesat/Sky grabber you shouldn't have any problem with it. Do you have two Sat cables going into your Pinnacle? If not it might be worth getting another cable through so you can watch and record another prog on a different transponder (you'll also be less likely to get a clash with DVBViewer as two tuners will be availiable).

With Cyberlink codecs, newer isn't always better ;) Maybe you could try using the older version that came with Power Cinema? Then again if the Elecard version is working you might as well stick with that- are you getting DXVA with it (CPU should be less than 15%)?

EDIT: if you want I'll help you set up the Sky/Freesat EPG on DVBViewer, but let's get the other one done first. :lol:

I am getting less than 15% CPU usage when watching BBC HD with the codec now used and so I am pleased that the hardware acceleration is working.

As I bought the card to make use of my Sky sat minidish and single LNB that was no longer used I only have one feed and realise the limitations, albeit minor, for the update of the EPG when grabbing via the method you kindly linked for me.

This is one reason why I wanted the WebEPG to be the type I would use bt it does not populate as well as I would like and will assume that the Freesat one will be the better of the two to use.

I do appreciate your offer of help and I will continue to read the thread regarding the Freesat EPG and its development. I will, no doubt, pop back here to ask a few pointers regarding DVB Viiewer and the Freesat EPG viewer ;)

As I bought the card to make use of my Sky sat minidish and single LNB that was no longer used I only have one feed and realise the limitations, albeit minor, for the update of the EPG when grabbing via the method you kindly linked for me.

This is one reason why I wanted the WebEPG to be the type I would use bt it does not populate as well as I would like and will assume that the Freesat one will be the better of the two to use.

I do appreciate your offer of help and I will continue to read the thread regarding the Freesat EPG and its development. I will, no doubt, pop back here to ask a few pointers regarding DVB Viiewer and the Freesat EPG viewer :(

You can upgrade the single LNB pretty easily - quad LNBs are only about £15 on ebay and you just slot the old one off and slot the new one in position (no dish adjustment should be needed, ladder might be necessary though :) ).

I assume you already have the Freesat EPG enabled in DVBViewer- you just need to go to settings>options>EPG, select "persistent EPG data" and "receive mediahighway epg data", then go to siefern/mhw and remove all the entries except 11428 H Freesat. Then just tune to Brit Shorts, ITV HD or Groove radio for about 30 sseconds and you should 7 day data. If you want data for non freesat channels , you need to follow these instructions:

1. Download OpenEPGtoXML zip- extract all the files into a new folder i.e. Skyepg or Openepg.

2. Download and install ProgDVB.

3. Download Auto Import XMLTV.

4. Go into ProgDVB, find radio channel EPG Background Audio, select it - you should hear cheesy musak. Goto service>pid recorder, select all transport stream, save to same folder as openepgtoxml, start recording, record for 15 seconds, click stop, close ProgDVB.

5. Open OpenEPGtoxmltv, go to settings>open tv version>select United Kingdom. Then go to EPG>Open TS file>open the .ts file recorded in ProgDVB, when its finished opening, click export data, when its finished tvguide.xml will be written in the same directory.

6. Open Auto Import XMLTV, it will open DVBViewer to install first time. Select TVGuide.xml, then select pair channels, it will open DVBViewer to get the channellist, then present you with a table with two columns, the TVGuide.xml channels on the left and DVBViewer channels on the right - you can try and pair channels automatically using the various filters or do it manually by clicking the channel on the left then on the right for each channel that you want EPG for (I only do non Freesat channels).

7. Click test import- it will take about 10-20 minutes. This deletes all the Freesat data so you'll need to tune to Brit Shorts/Groove/ITV HD again for 30 seconds, you should then have EPG for all the Freesat and non Freesat channels that you want.

You can upgrade the single LNB pretty easily - quad LNBs are only about £15 on ebay and you just slot the old one off and slot the new one in position (no dish adjustment should be needed, ladder might be necessary though :) ).

I assume you already have the Freesat EPG enabled in DVBViewer- you just need to go to settings>options>EPG, select "persistent EPG data" and "receive mediahighway epg data", then go to siefern/mhw and remove all the entries except 11428 H Freesat. Then just tune to Brit Shorts, ITV HD or Groove radio for about 30 sseconds and you should 7 day data. If you want data for non freesat channels , you need to follow these instructions:

1. Download OpenEPGtoXML zip- extract all the files into a new folder i.e. Skyepg or Openepg.

2. Download and install ProgDVB.

3. Download Auto Import XMLTV.

4. Go into ProgDVB, find radio channel EPG Background Audio, select it - you should hear cheesy musak. Goto service>pid recorder, select all transport stream, save to same folder as openepgtoxml, start recording, record for 15 seconds, click stop, close ProgDVB.

5. Open OpenEPGtoxmltv, go to settings>open tv version>select United Kingdom. Then go to EPG>Open TS file>open the .ts file recorded in ProgDVB, when its finished opening, click export data, when its finished tvguide.xml will be written in the same directory.

6. Open Auto Import XMLTV, it will open DVBViewer to install first time. Select TVGuide.xml, then select pair channels, it will open DVBViewer to get the channellist, then present you with a table with two columns, the TVGuide.xml channels on the left and DVBViewer channels on the right - you can try and pair channels automatically using the various filters or do it manually by clicking the channel on the left then on the right for each channel that you want EPG for (I only do non Freesat channels).

7. Click test import- it will take about 10-20 minutes. This deletes all the Freesat data so you'll need to tune to Brit Shorts/Groove/ITV HD again for 30 seconds, you should then have EPG for all the Freesat and non Freesat channels that you want.

Wow thanks ever so much for your continued generosity in the help you have provided, it really is most appreciated :)

I have had a scan at some of the ebay sales for Quad LNB's and I'm amazed at how cheap they are. I will arrange to buy one, along with some suitable twin cable, and then have a go :)