Issues with Favorites + same channel names

Valts

Got issue with favorites and tunning to channels... ok here's what happens

1) there are channels with same names on different sattellites. For example there is NRK1 on Thor 0.8W and Sirius 4.8E

2) After scanning those satellites you get 2 folders in channel list called lets say 0.8W and 4.8E

3) Then you take NRK1 from Sirius and add it to favorites list

4) Try to tune to from favorites list it and see that instead you have gone to Thor instead of Sirius.

5) Try to tune to from channel list and see that can tune to each channel fine.

Also I checked channel IDs which surprisingly were same for both channels.

P.S. using latest beta.

support.zip

Edited by Valts
  • 2 weeks later...
Also I checked channel IDs which surprisingly were same for both channels.

If the name, tuner type, service ID and audio PID are the same, all parts of DVBViewer referring to the channel ID can't distinguish them. The only way to solve this issue is to rename one of the channels.

If the name, tuner type, service ID and audio PID are the same, all parts of DVBViewer referring to the channel ID can't distinguish them. The only way to solve this issue is to rename one of the channels.

And then at each rescan go and rename them again and again? That's crazy!

Sirius 4.8E: NRK1 - VPID: 512, APID: 640, ServicePID: 1501

Thor 0.8W: NRK1 - VPID: 512, APID: 640, ServicePID: 1501

Why not take into account diseqc or frequency as well or other transponder data.

And then at each rescan go and rename them again and again? That's crazy!

I have same problem with my DVB-T tuner. I have three different channel groups, as i travel a lot with my laptop. One for Southern Finland, one for center Finland and so on...Channel names are same all the time, so DVBViewer takes channel data from one group, and uses it in all favorites, even the channels are under own directories in favorites. Only solution for me was rename channels after channel scan as channel1south, Channel1cent and then copy them to favorites. My DVBViewer is 4.0

Edited by tpaasiala
Why not take into account diseqc or frequency as well or other transponder data.

Well, it's a questionable design inherited from ancient DVBViewer versions. We can't change it abruptly without running into compatibility problems. I'm currently working at a method for extending the channel ID. But it takes long-term preparations to avoid trouble - so maybe in the next but one release...

I have same problem with my DVB-T tuner.

@tpaasiala & @Valts: Are the stream IDs or network IDs different (see channel editor)?

It's not so easy as you might think. However, we already have something for distinguishing satellite positions. The orbital position has been introduced lately as additional data field in the DVBViewer channellist, but in most channelists it will not be present yet. The frequency or DiSEqC are not suitable for several reasons.

@tpaasiala & @Valts: Are the stream IDs or network IDs different (see channel editor)?

It's not so easy as you might think. However, we already have something for distinguishing satellite positions. The orbital position has been introduced lately as additional data field in the DVBViewer channellist, but in most channelists it will not be present yet. The frequency or DiSEqC are not suitable for several reasons.

Thor 0.8W. NRK1: Stream ID: 35, Network ID: 70

Sirius 4.8E NRK1: Stream ID: 28, Network ID: 86

Well it would be enough if in favorites it would distinguish root of the program besides the name. I understand that you would need to update all entries in favorites if the root got renamed.

Ok, in your case the network ID and/or the transportstream ID would do. This may not be true for DVB-T, however. ;)

Alright. So is there a chance any of this will happen? As I assume only backward compatibile reading is needed. Also the favorites is stored in XML so that should be extensible ;) to even backward compatible writing.

So is there a chance any of this will happen?

Yes. Plans are to extend the numeric part of the channel ID from 32 to 64 bit. However, current versions will not be able to read the new values, due to an integer overflow. Additionally we have to consider add-ons that are using the channel ID, and all parts in DVBViewer refering to it have to be updated and tested. It will take some time...

Are the stream IDs or network IDs different (see channel editor)?

I would like to get a reply from tpaasiala... ;)

I would like to get a reply from tpaasiala... :bye:

Stream ID 4097, Network ID 8438 Freq 578000 MHz as YLE 1 in Tampere region

Stream ID 4097, Network ID 8438 Freq 562000 MHz as YLE 1 in Helsinki region

Stream ID 4097, Network ID 8438 Freq 546000 Mhz as YLE 1 in Jyväskylä region.

It seem's that same id's are used in whole country... So i guess only way to separe channels with same name is compare frequencies?

Stream ID 4097, Network ID 8438 Freq 578000 MHz as YLE 1 in Tampere region

Stream ID 4097, Network ID 8438 Freq 562000 MHz as YLE 1 in Helsinki region

Stream ID 4097, Network ID 8438 Freq 546000 Mhz as YLE 1 in Jyväskylä region.

It seem's that same id's are used in whole country... So i guess only way to separe channels with same name is compare frequencies?

Well I wouldn't see a problem generating IDs differently for different device types since they are already present there.

It seem's that same id's are used in whole country...

Same in Germany after DVB-T launch, but they've changed it in the meantime. It caused too many problems, I guess. Anyway... that's not the reply I hoped for. :bye: Since we can't take all local or individual oddities into account, this will possibly remain unsolved.

Well I wouldn't see a problem generating IDs differently for different device types

I would like to keep it short and efficient, because it is called very often when searching the channellist.

I would like to keep it short and efficient, because it is called very often when searching the channellist.

Hardly extra case switch will kill the performance. Personally I would see id generation implemented as a calculation of hash of all available parameters which by default all would be 0 and filled in case of sat for example with NetworkID & TPID, in case of DVBT frequency etc. To maintain performance just use some fast 64bit hash function.

The other possibility I see is distinguishing different channel list roots...

Edited by Valts

It seems that OSD-EPG can not handle different channels with same ID's. As i mentioned earlier, i have three different favorite groups, all groups have same channels (with different frequencies), just name changed. Problem is that OSD-EPG gets program info only from first favorite group. I have 33 channels in favorites, but OSD-EPG (and timeline) shows only 11 first one. Can anyone confirm this?