DVBServer 4.0 Multicast problems

majstang

Hi!

I managed to setup a networkconnection using unicast between my HTPC and Laptop. Works like a charm as long as you only watch SD channels. When watching channels in HD i gets really choppy and the sound and subtitles gets out of sync really quick. I then tried to setup the Multicast connection, thinking this could allow more packets beeing sent and therefor manage HD channels a lot better, but I can't get it to work. It seems to be the IP-subnet in Settings/Network/Multicast that is the problem because it's bright red no matter what I write in this box. My Ip-subnet is 255.255.255.0 and it will not change from red when setting this value. Not even when saving settings. In the client I activate multicast and brings up Settings and fills in my IP-subnet number in a red box called Group and then the box stays red. What should I do here...why are the boxes red? Should it be anything else than IP-subnet number in client group box?

/Majstang

I assume you use WLAN. Just forget multicast. Most routers/switches can't cope with the amount of data. HD channels do NOT stream reliable via WLAN (even so called 52 MBits) in most cases.

I assume you use WLAN. Just forget multicast. Most routers/switches can't cope with the amount of data. HD channels do NOT stream reliable via WLAN (even so called 52 MBits) in most cases.

No, not at all! I have a gigabitnetwork with a gigabitrouter. In the manual it says unicast is best for WLAN and Multicast produces more networktraffic and thats what I want in this case. To be abled to watch HD channels on my Laptop.

/Majstang

If you have just one client (your laptop) then you should definetively use unicast. In a gigabit network it's always preferable to use unicast.

If you have just one client (your laptop) then you should definetively use unicast. In a gigabit network it's always preferable to use unicast.

Ok, but this tip does not solve my initial problem. How can I increase the datarate from 0.5 MB/s to a level that works for HD channels? Or do you simply suggest not streaming HD channels at all? In the Statistics window in DVBServer tha graph maxes out in the top of the window. It seems not to be abled to go any faster using Unicast.

Edited by majstang

I can stream HD unicast with a 100 mbits network without problems. maybe you problems are more related to the used video decoder, or some energy saving of the laptop or the laptop is simply not fast enough?

I can stream HD unicast with a 100 mbits network without problems. maybe you problems are more related to the used video decoder, or some energy saving of the laptop or the laptop is simply not fast enough?

It is fast enough, but you may be right that I have to look over the settings for the networkcard in the laptop. Everything is in default mode right now. Lars, when you stream HD channels over your 100MB/S network, what does your datarate reach in DVBServer? How many megabytes per second? It would be great to have a value to aim for before tweeking around in the laptop.

Edited by majstang
It is fast enough, but you may be right that I have to look over the settings for the networkcard in the laptop. Everything is in default mode right now. Lars, when you stream HD channels over your 100MB/S network, what does your datarate reach in DVBServer? How many megabytes per second? It would be great to have a value to aim for before tweeking around in the laptop.

I've got a gigabit lan at home as well and I can stream BBC HD with no problems. At it's peak, BBC HD uses around 17mbits so roughly 1.7% of the network usage, not a lot really. Actually looking at the network graph it does bounce up to nearly 4% usage, must be because I am streaming the whole transponder.

I can't stream to my laptop though as it gets choppy really quickly. Not a surprise since it is 4 years old and has a pentium4 3ghz processor with a Radeon 9700 64MB mobile, it simply can't handle HD streams. :(

Edited by Springveldt
I've got a gigabit lan at home as well and I can stream BBC HD with no problems. At it's peak, BBC HD uses around 17mbits so roughly 1.7% of the network usage, not a lot really. Actually looking at the network graph it does bounce up to nearly 4% usage, must be because I am streaming the whole transponder.

I can't stream to my laptop though as it gets choppy really quickly. Not a surprise since it is 4 years old and has a pentium4 3ghz processor with a Radeon 9700 64MB mobile, it simply can't handle HD streams. ;)

Thanks for your input! Changing energysavings on the laptop scared up the datarate considerly, meaning I´m near the rates your having. But having a radical problem with buffer overflow when checking DVB Source. Turns out after some investigation I had problems playing HD material all together on my laptop. Even from harddrive it showed the same choppyness as streaming the HD material. Am trying to update my graphicsdriver at the moment and if that will not solve the problem I will replace the Nvidia card to an ATI card instead. This card seem to be the weakest link.