OSD - Send timer request to EPG Search

uglyned

I think I mientioned this before but thought I would mention it again while you're doing a lot of work on interaction between DVBViewer and Recording Service.

I would find it really useful if I had an option in the OSD to send a programme's details to the EPG search. If I could send the programme name and channel and have it automatically entered into the Recording Service's EPG search then DVBViewer would automatically record all subsequent programmes - like series link except a bit better!

For example, I find the first programme of a new series in the EPG OSD. If I just select 'record' then it goes into the timer list and it records. But I have to manually add episodes 2,3 etc when they appear in the EPG. If I could send episode 1 to the EPG search instead, the recording service would then know that I like that programme on that channel and it could record every other one it found for me too - without me having to do it myself.

Intelligent recording!

Intelligent recording!

Well, I wish it were that easy.

You have to take also a timeframe and weekdays into account (a lot of stations tend to repeat a series in the night, some do send all episodes of the week in one go on a weekend day morning etc.). And of course you would want to cancel such a search from the OSD and and and.

This is much more than I'm for now(!) willing to do.

I think we should first get this show on the road (means releases for both DVBViewer and Service) because there are other important things at least in the DVBViewer, which should go release first. Otherwise we gonna sit again 6 or more months on a beta version ;)

I do have a lot more of ideas and plans for both the service and the viewer but they will have to wait until after the release. :(

Edit:

I forgot to say: You idea is similar to something I planned, so there is a very good chance something in that direction will be realized after the next release...

Thanks Lars.

Please remember - I'd much rather recording service added more shows than I want to the timer list than I miss shows because I forgot to add them. It would need managing - sometimes I would need to cancel recordings from the list or delete shows it reocrded that I don't want but that comes with the feature.

Thanks for all the work. It's a great piece of software, by far the best I've come across. I look forward to every release.

• 5 months later...

Is there any news on this?

I still think the one major feature missing from DVBViewer is the ability to add 'series link' (or EPG Autosearch entry equivalent) entries from the OSD - using a remote control. I do understand that it will often lead to the Recording Service recording more programmes than I want but for me that's better than me missing programmes I want to see.

Personally I'd love to see an 'add this programme to EPG autosearch' option from within the TV Guide. It then creates an autosearch entry in the recording service based on show title and channel (but not day and time because sometimes series have new programmes on every day). I can then also use the OSD timer interface to disable any repeats it finds that I don't want to record. Or I can go into the recording service interface later and refine the search.

I just think it would be a great feature and it means I have absolute control over it with my remote control - I don't need to remember to go and use a mouse and keyboard on a different PC.

• 4 months later...

Just having my regular pester about this.

It would be so useful for me if there was a way from within the OSD of telling DVBViewer Recording service to record the whole series of a programme when I pick it from the timeline or MiniEPG. Right now I can only record one programme and have to go to another PC to setup an autosearch.

If there was an option to 'send to autosearch' when I have a programme selected, it could add an autosearch entry in Recording service using the programme name and channel as search query.

I could, at a later time when it's convenient, go to the web interface and modify the search - maybe limit time frames or days, but at least in the first instance I know that when I select a programme from the OSD I can tell Recording Service to record the series.

I don't care about being able to cancel searches from the OSD, I can do that from the web interface too.

I realise that it would take you a lot of work to implement true series link into DVBViewer (both Freesat and Freeview EPGs in the UK do carry series link data) but hope this is an easier option.

Edited by uglyned
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I definitely agree about the 'series link' feature. Like uglyned wrote it is quite common that you forget to add series recordings manually every week. Also is quite inconvenient for example if you go for a holiday trip that you have to remember to set all your favorite series beforehand or you will not see these.

How about just a simple implementation at first. For example you can create series recording item from OSD EPG program and cancel the created series recording item from OSD.

Regarding the possibles repeats of the series. If those are included to the recording schedule I do not see inconvenience if I have to delete these recordings afterwards from the recorded programs list.

My opinion is that we need basic functionality of 'Series link' to OSD. You can always afterwards make improvements and more specific requirements covering implementation.

For the brand of DVBViewer it would be great improvement if features list would include 'series link'. This is something that basic TV watcher wants in modern digital world. Less things to remember with help of automation.

Feature in basic form have been implemented in box DVRs like Topfield and Humax so why not in PC world also where all things should be possible to be implemented in customized way.

Finally I definitely agree with uglyned regarding your implementations. Special Thanks for all the work!