No EPG reception Pinnacle 7010iX

fat-tony

Hi Guys,

I'm a new user of DVBViewer PRO 4. What an improvement in usability over the DVBViewer TE version :blush:

I've just bought a Pinnacle 7010 multi-tuner DVB-T / DVB-S card. I'm receiving excellent reception of the Irish DTT service (which uses H.264 encoding), but I have an issue that I can't seem to get the EPG. This is a 7-day EPG and I can see that it is being transmitted ok when I use my Mvision 200HD combo set top box.

In DVBViewer it says "No EPG data available". My settings would indicate that I have EPG data enabled. I have searched the forum and not found a similar query.

My support.zip file is attached.

Any ideas?

support.zip

Edited by fat-tony
Are you sure they do send EPG by the ETSI standard?

Thanks for the quick reply. Obviously, I can't be sure that they are compliant, but here is an extract from the "Minimum Receiver Requirements" document issued by the regulator:

3.9 Electronic Programme Guide*

Based on the ETSI EN 300 468[10] standard relating to DVB Service Information (SI) and

MPEG Programme Specific Information (PSI), the Receiver shall provide an Electronic

Programme Guide (EPG) using data provided in the Event Information Table (EIT). The EPG

shall present the programme title, start time, duration, a description and parental rating for the

currently running programme and future programmes over the following seven days. The EPG

shall present programme or event information for all Channels on all available multiplexes.

As far as I am aware the EPG is presented as SI in the EIT. Several set top box models are being used within the country on the test service at the moment and all seem to be able to resolve the EPG info.

The teletext stream is resolved ok by DVBViewer.

There is additional MHEG-5 data which is used for limited teletext type info also. Eventually this will be used for some interactive service. This is not an issue for me at the moment!

OK, it's the "right" EPG. :blush: You mentioned the DVBViewer TE. Did you scan the channels with the DVBViewer pro or did you just copy the channels.dat from the TE?

OK, it's the "right" EPG. :blush: You mentioned the DVBViewer TE. Did you scan the channels with the DVBViewer pro or did you just copy the channels.dat from the TE?

I thought of that possibility, so completely restored my system and did a clean install of just the card drivers and DVBPro and scanned the channels. The EPG is working fine on the Astra 2 sat channels - just DTT is problematic.

I had a thought - is there a tool I could use to analyse the data stream? If I recorded the stream in DVBViewer will it include the EPG data?

Yes, That's just what I wanted to ask you. :blush:

Please download the transedit tool from the membersarea. You can analyze and record the whole stream with it.

Here are the docs: http://www.DVBViewer.com/griga/TransEdit%20E/Content.html

After you made yourself familiar with it (just installing = extracting it to the DVBViewer program folder and setting the options right) you can do an analyze of one of the frequencies used in your area.

Then you should see something like this (down at the bottom of the page the EIT part) : http://www.DVBViewer.com/griga/TransEdit%2...w.html#SITables

Thanks Lars. I will report back later, once I can get my media PC back from my son who is watching a programme at the moment!

Ok,

Attached is a small .TS dump of a couple of seconds of the EIT (definitely there!) and a csv of the scan of the mux. The language code on the TV channels is marked as "gle" (which is the code for Irish, although all the text is in English except for one channel which carries Irish ext) - don't know if that is significant as all my preferences are set as English.

I was able to get the Freesat EPG working on Astra 2 satellite, but no luck with DTT!

Tired now.......

Dang - won't allow me to upload the small (180k) .ts file

Ok i've renamed it as a txt file (and the csv has also got a .txt extension)

Irish_DTT_722000_03_07_23_47_23.txt

Irish_DTT_722000_03.txt

OK, now in the DVBViewer please open the channeleditor and compare the settings of the channels from the ts file you attached (NetworkID, TransportstreamID and Service ID) with the ones in the attached screenshot.

post-5310-1236495488_thumb.png

The Network ID was 8564 (??) - this came from a scan of the frequency, I did not input this.

I changed it to the Original Network ID from the scan and bingo :blush: EPG is working fine! I modified the other three channels in the mux and have EPG for all working.

Thanks Lars - is there something in the scan which did not pick up the NetworkID correctly? Perhaps there is something I should change in the scan configuration? If you want me to run further tests just ask.

This is a test DTT service (not due to go live until Q3/09) and there may be incorrect settings in the stream, perhaps? The channels are marked as encrypted, although they are not. They are the public TV service channels for Ireland and will always be "in the clear".

Thanks Lars!

Most likely there is something wrong with the transmitted data.

You could check in the analyzer the network ID in the SDT of these transponders. That's where the viewer does get it's data. Or even better: you could export the nodes to xml, so I can also have a look at it. :blush:

Thanks!

<Irish_DTT_722000>

<SDT PID="17" Name="Actual">

<OriginalNetworkID Value="8564"/>

Yeah, they mess something up, the data doesn't match. That's not good at all. :)

I'll have to talk with christian and griga if there is some kind of (indirect) contact to reach the responsible people there ireland to which we can report your findings...

Thanks again for your support and your patience! :blush: I'll report back here about any progress. But it may take some time...

Lars,

I should be able to follow this problem up locally, also. I assume that I should point out to the network provider that the Network IDs are not matching? Is there anything else I should advise them? I will discuss this on the Terrestrial forum of "boards.ie" which has a very active group of enthusiasts.

For the moment I have the workaround by hardcoding the network ID, so thanks for that.

You could point out that the Original NetworkID from the SDT (actual transportstream) doesn't match with the Original NetworkID in the EIT (actual transport stream).

This are the used terms in the ETSI docs.

Maybe you also show them a screenshot of the analyzer Tree with the SDT / ONID visible and some EIT EPG Events with the ONID visible. This should point the responsible persons in the right direction. :)