VNC interfering with DVB Source?

CupawnTae

Is there any reason an active VNC server connection should cause issues with the DVB Source filter?

I'm running DVBViewer Pro 4.0 and RealVNC server (although I've tried TightVNC and UltraVNC with no difference) on XP SP3.

With live TV running in DVBViewer, as soon as I connect a VNC client, the DVB Source filter starts racking up discontinuities, the video stutters badly and the audio occasionally squeaks. Disconnecting VNC immediately returns things to normal.

I've switched in several different MPEG2 decoders, tried HD channels, switched between Technotrend USB receiver and Hauppauge PCI card, with no discernable difference. Also, playback of recorded shows does not have any problems, so I'm convinced the problem is in DVB Source. I've also tried changing the various settings in the property page of DVB Source and nothing seems to make any difference.

Nothing useful in debug.log, but I've attached it anyway.

(Note - as it's the first thing that would occur to me if I glanced at this post - I'm not trying to transfer video over VNC - I am using the overlay mixer and just want to control the PC, so a blank window at the client end is what I want and is what I get).

Thanks for any ideas

debug.log

• 2 weeks later...
the DVB Source filter starts racking up discontinuities, the video stutters badly and the audio occasionally squeaks. Disconnecting VNC immediately returns things to normal.

...which means, DVBViewer receives a corrupted stream from the DVB device driver. Obviously VNC disturbs it somehow.

...which means, DVBViewer receives a corrupted stream from the DVB device driver. Obviously VNC disturbs it somehow.

Thanks Griga - I had ruled out the device drivers in my head because of the same behaviour shared between completely different hardware, but I guess it could be some common component. I'll try using the viewing software supplied with each of the devices and see if VNC interferes with them too.

• 2 weeks later...

So, a week ago similar discontinuities started happening even when VNC wasn't connected, getting worse and worse over a couple of days... Had me tearing my hair out trying to diagnose the problem (including getting up on the roof to see if I could improve satellite reception)...

Anyway, long story short, it appears my motherboard was dying, so I replaced it, upgrading to faster RAM and CPU while I was at it.

Everything is now back up and running, and the original VNC problem has gone away. I don't know whether it's because the system is now faster and some bottleneck is no longer an issue, or if VNC server was somehow exacerbating the early onset of the hardware problem. I guess it'll remain a mystery, but at least it's fixed for me!