Can we enable CUDA support on the CoreAVC decoder?

bigaluk

Please,

Can we enable CUDA support on the CoreAVC decoder? (Needs the NVIDIA graphics driver v.182 to enable CUDA per se)

My WMP 11 is quite happy to let the CoreAVC decoder use its ability to work with CUDA on my NVIDIA 9400GT Graphics card. The result is a processer load reduction from 85% - 95% (with no deblocking) down to around 15% - 20% (with full deblocking and hence superb quality).

Unfortunately, DVBViewer appears to prevent (not select?) the CUDA support when it is told to use the CoreAVC decoder for HD transmissions. This is despite setting the option on the filter itself. The CoreAVC remains resolutely un-CUDA'd.

To reduce the processer load like this with the CoreAVC would indeed be wonderful!

That said, I can achieve this low load by using the Cyberlink H.264/AVC decoder in DVBViewer (it sits around 15% load then), but the quality is marginally poorer IMHO. How Cyberlink achieve this is impressive however, since they do not mention using CUDA (perhaps it is a secret they keep to themselves?).

DVBViewer does not prevent that and it also does not have to enable anything, it is all up to CoreAVC. Thing is that CoreAVC currently reverts to pure SW mode, if the content is interlaced, which is mostly the case for DVB broadcasts (1080i content). A CoreAVC version with interlaced support may be out soon.

Maybe you receive some 720p DVB broadcasts. CoreAVC should already CUDA such content...

How Cyberlink achieve this is impressive however, since they do not mention using CUDA (perhaps it is a secret they keep to themselves?).

No secret at all o:) . CyberLink uses DXVA, which is another API (by Microsoft this time) besides CUDA, to access the video engine on current graphics cards.

Edited by CiNcH