Windows 7 x64 - HD tv issues

CrashingDutchman

I have a fresh install of Windows 7 - build 7054 - 64-bit version. I am currently using the latest DVBViewer version. No additional codecs are installed, only what came with the operating system.

Most of the channels work fine now, I have a few problems with HD channels. Maybe I should mention that I am located in The Netherlands. Anyway, I have this problem with the HD variant of Discovery channel. This channels is broadcast per details in this picture:

3365458672_df13a9e25a_o.jpg

I currently have no sound with this channel. I have not downloaded any codecs, so probably Windows 7 can't handle the AC3 5.1 audio. What do you suggest as codec to download?

The other problem I have is with National Geographic channel. DVBViewer gives this information for the videostream:

3365458628_ed2d788afe_o.jpg

Sound is ok, but video is stuttering (is that English? Let's say it is just not smooth) and it shows interlaced (stripes). My processors go to 70-80% for decoding the video. It is clear that a good video decoder is missing here, preferably one that supports hardware acceleration. What do you suggest?

I have used PowerDVD on my Vista Media Center. The decoder that came with it (nVidia Purevideo?) supports hardware acceleration. That worked like a charm, but as I have understood it is not possible/good to use 32bit software on a 64bit operating system. Looking forward to hear your opinions on this one.

Many thanks in advance!

Thank you, I will try that!

Edit: This is a 32bit version. That shouldn't be a problem? I didn't find an 64-bit equivalent.

Edited by CrashingDutchman
Thank you, I will try that!

Edit: This is a 32bit version. That shouldn't be a problem? I didn't find an 64-bit equivalent.

Don't worry.That worked without any problems.

Although I don't see the advantage in using a 64bit version of Windows 7 (or any other version of windows) when using your computer as a media center, it will still work with the 32bit version of other programs.

It's not like "it crashes immediately" e.g. ...

Just give AC3-Filter and PowerDVD a try, I think they'll work pretty well.

Another question from me, hope it's not a problem for you that I ask it here:

What are the advantages of Windows 7 compared to Windows Vista? Does it work better? In which way?

Please don't think I'm a Vista-Fanboy, it really interrests me!

Greetz, sw4y

I want to keep my system as clean as possible for now. So, it will be trial and error with installing the software you guys recommend. When I am sure that everything works fine, I will do a clean install with everything that worked for me.

I am using Windows 7 since a few weeks now and have been using Vista for a long time. Windows 7 performs much better for me. I can really recommend it. I am using the 64bit version so it makes use of my 4Gig memory that I installed to be able to have a virtual system running for other things.

I am using Windows 7 since a few weeks now and have been using Vista for a long time. Windows 7 performs much better for me. I can really recommend it. I am using the 64bit version so it makes use of my 4Gig memory that I installed to be able to have a virtual system running for other things.

Hm, sounds good. Maybe it's worth a try. Can I download it from Microsoft or where do I get it?

Although I don't see the advantage in using a 64bit version of Windows 7 (or any other version of windows) when using your computer as a media center, it will still work with the 32bit version of other programs.

It's not like "it crashes immediately" e.g. ...

Just give AC3-Filter and PowerDVD a try, I think they'll work pretty well.

Another question from me, hope it's not a problem for you that I ask it here:

What are the advantages of Windows 7 compared to Windows Vista? Does it work better? In which way?

Please don't think I'm a Vista-Fanboy, it really interrests me!

Greetz, sw4y

See this..and I think that Windows 7 x64 (BETA!!) is the best OS from Microsoft.

http://content.zdnet.com/2347-12554_22-277...7340.html?seq=1

http://content.zdnet.com/2347-12554_22-277...7341.html?seq=2

post-36517-1237580840_thumb.jpg

post-36517-1237580919_thumb.jpg