Video stutters during streaming

aht961

I have tried all available free or commercial (for the consumers) TV-server software at the market in order to have a decent live TV using a dedicated hardware. DVBViewer is one of them. After a month of trial and error, neither DVBViewer nor the MP could stream video without stuttering. I have a gigabyte LAN with Cat5e cabling with a sufficient bandwith and transfer rate of 35-45 MB per sec. GPU has hardware decoding enabled. I could watch recorded HD-video via LAN from NAS without any problems, however, while using TV-server (unicast, multicast) and a client (single seat), image stutters once every few minutes, occasionally (if lucky enough) 5-6 times during 30 mins. I regard this unacceptable, in particular if the broadcast is planned to record and watch later. I am very surprised that this topic is not discussed at the forums. The same problem seems to bother the MP and there are numerous reports concerning this. My aim was to keep the server with the TV tuners in a remote location at the house with the DAS and NAS, so I could run my player (installed in a 5,6cm thick HTPC chasis with one fan) cool and silent in my living room. Failed to have a picture without stutter and this holds true both for SD and HD broadcast. I have used almost all available codecs and decoders to no avail.

Yesterday after loosing the debate against the other family members due to the very low WAF (wife accaptence factor) of the system, I had to give up the server-client setting and removed both remote tuners and installed them after some modding in my slim HTPC. After two hours of testing, there was no stutter in video, not in HD stream. Therefore, for those who get the impression that TV-server/client is perfect without any glitches or stutter - it is not true. Many seems to blame the LAN speed, processor, codecs, motherboard and etc. and in many cases this holds true. However, I have a brand new dedicated hardware for this system with gigabyte network and new routers, live-TV does not stream without stutter. And in fact, this problem is a little bit more pronounced in DVBViewer than in MP. Therefore, I ended up in conclusion that there must be something wrong (or technique is not up to the edge) with the way how the live .ts stream is pushed to the network in both TV-server software.

I am so frustrated that there is not much debate on this. Probably due to the fact that most people use the all-in-one setting and a few server/client setting via LAN. And they probably think that either their network or hardware is not capable of playing a smooth imge. I totally disagree. However, for all-in-one systems, the DVBViewer is a very decent software definitely worth for its price.

Regards.

Aydin

Edited by aht961

Wow that's a nice one: "I can't get it to work, so the whole principle must be crap". Quite amusing especially since it does work for a lot people (including me). :)

And because it is more rant than an actual bug report, I'm moving this to the newbie section.

Wow that's a nice one: "I can't get it to work, so the whole principle must be crap". Quite amusing especially since it does work for a lot people (including me). :)

And because it is more rant than an actual bug report, I'm moving this to the newbie section.

I see your point, however, if you cannot stand critics then you may remove this thread entirely, as well. I just wanted to let know others that it is not 100% sure. It was not my intention to be rude or unfair. On the other hand, maybe you don't mind if your image stutters now and then or to run a beast with 1000W PSU / 80dB screamer in your room - I do :D .

For the sake of fairness, I shall add my specs:

Gigabyte LAN with 5e cabling, D-Link DGS-1008D router

Vista 32 (server + client)

Client:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H version 1.1

GPU: ATI Radeon HD3200 embedded in mobo (tried with ATI 9400HD as well)

Processor: AMD 64 X2 5050E, 2,6GHZ (underclocked at 2GHz)

RAM: Corsair twin 2x 2G

HDD: Samsung SATA II 2,5'' 500GB

Tuners: 2 x FloppyDTV DVB-C

Server:

Motherboard: Asus M3N78-VM

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8200 embedded in mobo (tried with ATI 9400HD as well)

Processor: AMD 64 X2 4850E, 2,5GHZ

RAM: Corsair twin 2x 2G

HDD: 2T in RAID, SATA II, 500GB SATA II, 125GB IDE for system

Gigabyte LAN

Edited by aht961

Upset :) Now all-in-one system, tuner cards are installed in the very same client and retested and it stutters once in every 3-4 minutes. It indicates that this was not a "streaming/tv-server" or "network" problem. Codecs? Signal length? If it were signal length, why don't I have any problems with my 50€ digital receiver? Please find enclosed my specs in support.zip and additional info above. I will appreciate very much any suggestions.

Edited by aht961

..check the source filter for discontinuities (missing packets). Remember it's very high frequency stuff. A fault free working receiver at one location doesn't guarantee the same at another location. Cables, connectors and switches are all possible error sources.

..check the source filter for discontinuities (missing packets). Remember it's very high frequency stuff. A fault free working receiver at one location doesn't guarantee the same at another location. Cables, connectors and switches are all possible error sources.

I have monitored the DVB source for about 10 mins: 7 discontinuities, queued buffer varies between 11-22, allowed 66. How should I interpret this? Does "missing packet" indicate that the data is missing in the source (that is "cable TV") or in the stream from the server to the client? I have also disconnected the client from the AV-receiver (Marantz) and attached directly to 42'' plasma (Pioneer), still the same problem. Signal strength 100%. Tried in two different rooms and also from the switch box (before the signal is distributed within the house), no differences. Tried 720p, 1080i, no differences - a little less stuttering with 1080i?

1) Vista? should I downgrade to XP?

2) HDMI connection? Should I try DVI?

3) DVB-C? (I will try with a DVB-T tuner and check it out).

About to give up - an adventure which has costed 1000€ for nothing - should have bought another toppy :)

Edited by aht961
I have monitored the DVB source for about 10 mins: 7 discontinuities, queued buffer varies between 11-22, allowed 66. How should I interpret this? Does "missing packet" indicate that the data is missing in the source (that is "cable TV") or in the stream from the server to the client?

Try with without streaming. If you still get discontinuities, check your signal distribution. Is it better or worse depending on the channel frequency and modulation?

Try with without streaming. If you still get discontinuities, check your signal distribution. Is it better or worse depending on the channel frequency and modulation?

I will check this soon - stuttering seems to be worse in few channels than in others. However, I have noticed something new. Yesterday tried with a DVB-T usb stick (meant for Apple - however installed in Vista setting and used Hauppage driver without problems) and guess what: no glitches, no stuttering and only 1 discontinuity (which I have not even noticed) during 18 mins.

So, this makes me think that something might be wrong with the DVB-C tuners? I understood that Digital Everywhere's FloppyDTV is extensively used with DVBViewer and MP and I have not heard much complaints about it. I have CI and CAM modules (Technisat's Technicrypt CX conax) installed in both cards - could that be a problem? However, stuttering concerns all channels not only the encrypted ones. Or firewire connection?

Are there major differences between the DVB-T and -C reception and handling of the .ts stream?

If this is the case, then many apologies for blaming the DVBViewer - the moderator may remove this thread if wanted.

Edited by aht961
If this is the case, then many apologies for blaming the DVBViewer - the moderator may remove this thread if wanted.

The problem is solved. This update is meant to help others who might have the same problem. The bug was i the new firmware from the Digital Everywhere meant for FloppyDTV hardware version 1.26.02.

I had to check all previous firmware versions by doing a step-wise downgrade. The stuttering starts to decrease when downgrading from FW 2.4.0 and it completely disappears with 2.2.10 Build 43110 FW version from 12.9.2007. I have checked at 30 and 60 min intervals and NO discontiniuties.

Hope this helps others who have the stutter but has put the blame in processor power, codecs, GPU, or DVBViewer as I did :bounce:

Thanks for your time.

Regards.

Edited by aht961
  • 10 months later...

Going to try this out - I'm experiencing the same issues of discontinuities with some channels, and this is also driving me mad.

I always tried to stay up to date on the firmware / driver versions, and it never occurred to me that newer drivers or firmwares would actually *worsen* the problems!

Tried, no change. I still get a lot of discontinuities, and as far as I can tell the regular cable setup box doesn't so I can rule out transmission issues on the cable.

Could it be a faulty DVB-C card, or issues with the firewire? anyone knows how I could troubleshoot the issue a bit more?

It seems to occur on some channels only, which makes me think it might be a signal strength issue. aht961 talked about a tool that would check the signal strength of the floppyDTV, but I couldn't find anything on their website.