Reinstall : PC, ideal software setup ?

boulder2

Because of a problem I need to reinstall my PC.

There are some questions I have, about what the ideal setup is (software wise), as I had some problem with video corruption, and the only 'solution' I have found is to use overlay instead of VMR7, VMR9, DirectX, ...

Nothing is overclocked in my system, but the graphics card is a completely passive model, so maybe it (videoram ?) is overheating.

But why then would it then not overheat when I choose overlay ?

The problem also only seems to occur when running in dual screen mode.

Anyway, I want to avoid these problems as much as possible.

So my configuration consists of an Asus P5W DH Deluxe, with a Nvidia Geforce GT7950 card (an MSI NX7950GT-VT2D512EZ-HD to be precise, completely passively cooled), an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 and 2 Gb of RAM (2x1).

So what would you recommend for OS, codecs, etc. ?

OS : I suppose Windows XP Professional with the latest service packs would be best ?

Before I used Windows XP MCE 2005, but was getting those video corruption problems.

(see : http://img513.imageshack.us/my.php?image=v...rruptionzc7.jpg)

Or would I be better off using Windows 7 beta ?

What about codecs ?

Which MPEG2 codec would you recommend, and which H264 ?

Could the Haali Mediasplitter which comes with the Coreavc code, somehow be the culprit of the issues I am encountering ?

Or should I use the ones from Cyberlink, or FFDShow or ????

Anyway, my PC would server as a multimedia machine as a primary purpose.

I have many MPEG2 TV stations I regularly watch, but also some H264 ones, such as Arte HD, één HD, BBC HD, ITV HD.

I would like all of them to work well.

Often people say that they tried several ones, but in my experience this can screw up your system completely leading to another reinstall.

So this time I would like to know before installing it all.

Edited by boulder2