TeVii S460 DVB-S2 multiswitch issue with DVBViewer Pro 4.

I'm using the latest driver for my TeVii S460 DVB-S2 card with 4-in-1 multiswitch. There is an annoying issue when using this card with DVBViewer Pro 4.

The issue is that when starting DVBViewer or tune to a new channel on different port of the 4-in-1 multiswitch, 90% of times, DVBViewer can't lock signals. I need to set "Retune on missing stream after 1 second" to allow DVBViewer to lock signal. This will cause long waiting time to wait until signal is locked.

I tried my other KNC1 DVB-S2 card, no such issue, signal can be locked very soon. So I think this is the TeVii card driver issue? But why I set "retune" in DVBViewer, then the signal can be locked after retuning the 1st time? Is there some ways to allow tune in at the very 1st time? There is a lot of hidden options in DVBViewer I think!

Thanks!

Edited by ter9999

The above issue also caused that I can't use TransEdit (latest 3.3.2.0) to analyze and scan transponders. Can't lock any signals.

I see in the TransEdit settings->Hardware, there is an option "Retune attemp", but seems it's different than DVBViewer's "Retune missing stream after xx seconds".

So can the "retune" function in TransEdit works the same way as "retune" in DVBViewer?

Edited by ter9999
But why I set "retune" in DVBViewer, then the signal can be locked after retuning the 1st time?

Try to find out if the card switches LNB power off when not in use. Use a multimeter, if available, but don't short-circuit your card!

The tuning process works like this:

1) Send DiSEqC command

2) Wait some milliseconds.

3) Tune the channel

However, DiSEqC can't work without LNB power, and if the power is not switched on until tuning takes place... can you see the problem? We already had that with DVBWorld devices.

but seems it's different than DVBViewer's "Retune missing stream after xx seconds".

"Retune attempts" is designed for the scanner. If no data has arrived after some time (PAT timeout), TransEdit retunes the transponder and repeats scanning. So it should work. Let me see if TransEdit has detected your card correctly. Please attach the file TransEdit.ini here (see Info -> Configuration Folder in TransEdit).

Thank you very much for your detailed information. Here is the TransEdit.ini file. I tried different settings in the TransEdit "Hardware" tab, no use. There is no signal for channels in every multiswitch ports using TeVii S460 (Group A).

My other card KNC1 (Group B ) is working okay in TransEdit.

Edited by ter9999

Looks like you didn't perform Settings -> Hardware -> Detect Devices after updating TransEdit, which is necessary if a newer version provides special handling for a device that hasn't been handled specifically before.

TransEdit.ini shows that the device should have been detected as TeVii by TransEdit 3.3, but the Vendor.1 entry in the [Hardware] section is still set to 0 (must be 15).

Looks like you didn't perform Settings -> Hardware -> Detect Devices after updating TransEdit, which is necessary if a newer version provides special handling for a device that hasn't been handled specifically before.

TransEdit.ini shows that the device should have been detected as TeVii by TransEdit 3.3, but the Vendor.1 entry in the [Hardware] section is still set to 0 (must be 15).

In fact, I clicked "detect devices" several times during trials to lock signals. Every time I click "Detect Devices", the "DVB-S2 device" is unchecked.

I even deleted the TransEdit.ini, then open TransEdit, then click "Detect Devices", then I looked into the new TransEdit.ini, the Vendor.1 entry is still set to 0, not 15.

So, the TransEdit can't detect my TeVii S460 card? Or there is other workaround to this?

Also, from the support forum, I got following words regarding to can't lock signal in DVBViewer:

"I think this is because TeVii always sets LNB voltage to 0V if it is not being used so that all sat equipment powers down when not being used. It seems that the equipment does not get up fast enough for the first tune request. I think retuning is a nice workaround for that, as the big plus is that power is saved..

KNC currently permanently powers the LNB output, as soon as you switch on your PC. Card and sat equipment are fully powered the whole time."

But using "retune", it will take about 20 seconds to lock signal even I set retune to 1 second (the initial tune takes >16 seconds, but can't lock), so any workaround?

Thanks much!

But using "retune", it will take about 20 seconds to lock signal even I set retune to 1 second (the initial tune takes >16 seconds, but can't lock), so any workaround?

I thought you only had it at device startup. But you also have it at postion change? LNB power is not switched off in this case. So DiSEqC seems to fail for some other reason.

Thing is that it takes quite long for the TeVii driver to return in case of failed tuning (it tries sever parameters like modulation, FEC a.s.o. which may take up to 20 seconds for all combinations). There is nothing the DVBViewer can do about it.

Concerning DVBNETWORK.DE... I am not the support of anybody :biggrin: .

Edited by CiNcH
In fact, I clicked "detect devices" several times during trials to lock signals. Every time I click "Detect Devices", the "DVB-S2 device" is unchecked.

Ok, bug found after checking the code again.

Or there is other workaround to this?

Yes. Change Vendor.1=0 to Vendor.1=15 in TransEdit.ini (TransEdit must be closed while editing the file) and, after that, don't perform "Detect Devices".

It seems that the equipment does not get up fast enough for the first tune request.

Well, the question is if the driver is clever enough to power your equipment up before it sends the first DiSEqC command (preceding the first tune request). You can test it by using the TransEdit DiSEqC Editor:

- Set DiSEqC to "Extended" for one of the satellite positions in question.

- Insert the appropriate switch command in the editor, followed by a delay of e.g. 1000 ms, and then repeat the command, so that the sequence looks like

Switch / Committed [unchanged] / 3 (A/:biggrin:

Internal / Delay / 1000

Switch / Committed [unchanged] / 3 (A/:(

- Click Apply on the left side of the TransEdit Main Window.

Now try to scan a single transponder (Scan Selected) and play a bit with the delay (always click Apply after a change). If it works without setting "Retune Attempts" to 1 or more, the driver switches LNB power on as soon as it receives the first DiSEqC command, and only the power up time of your equipment has to be considered. Using a DiSEqC command sequence as shown above (with a minimized delay) would be the best solution in this case.

If it doesn't work without retune attempts the driver's DiSEqC handling is designed badly.

I thought you only had it at device startup. But you also have it at postion change? LNB power is not switched off in this case. So DiSEqC seems to fail for some other reason.

Thing is that it takes quite long for the TeVii driver to return in case of failed tuning (it tries sever parameters like modulation, FEC a.s.o. which may take up to 20 seconds for all combinations). There is nothing the DVBViewer can do about it.

Concerning DVBNETWORK.DE... I am not the support of anybody :biggrin: .

Yes, you're right, only at device startup, it takes ~20s to retune to the channel, then after, changing position is fast.

I know TransEdit can have a lot of command sequence for activating Diseqc ports, like:

1. send first Diseqc command.

2. waiting 2000ms. Maybe these 2 steps can allow the TeVii slow powering on the LNB.

3. send the right Diseqc command.

But the TransEdit seems can't recognize the TeVii S460 card, so I can't try these sequences.....

The issue is that when starting DVBViewer or tune to a new channel on different port of the 4-in-1 multiswitch, 90% of times, DVBViewer can't lock signals.
Yes, you're right, only at device startup, it takes ~20s to retune to the channel, then after, changing position is fast.

That's a contradiction then.

So it seems to be as said, the sat equipment is not up fast enough for the first tune request which is because "TeVii powers it down" on graph tear-down. 20s is much and is TeVii driver related as mentioned before. It tries several parameter combinations to lock the transponder.

Ok, bug found after checking the code again.

Yes. Change Vendor.1=0 to Vendor.1=15 in TransEdit.ini (TransEdit must be closed while editing the file) and, after that, don't perform "Detect Devices".

Well, the question is if the driver is clever enough to power your equipment up before it sends the first DiSEqC command (preceding the first tune request). You can test it by using the TransEdit DiSEqC Editor:

- Set DiSEqC to "Extended" for one of the satellite positions in question.

- Insert the appropriate switch command in the editor, followed by a delay of e.g. 1000 ms, and then repeat the command, so that the sequence looks like

Switch / Committed [unchanged] / 3 (A/:biggrin:

Internal / Delay / 1000

Switch / Committed [unchanged] / 3 (A/:(

- Click Apply on the left side of the TransEdit Main Window.

Now try to scan a single transponder (Scan Selected) and play a bit with the delay (always click Apply after a change). If it works without setting "Retune Attempts" to 1 or more, the driver switches LNB power on as soon as it receives the first DiSEqC command, and only the power up time of your equipment has to be considered. Using a DiSEqC command sequence as shown above (with a minimized delay) would be the best solution in this case.

If it doesn't work without retune attempts the driver's DiSEqC handling is designed badly.

Thank you very much!! It works in TransEdit!

I manually set Vendor.1=15 in TransEdit.ini.

Switch / Commited [unchanged] / 2

Internal / Delay / 100

Then perform Analyze, it's okay to get results! I tried different delays, 100ms is okay in my case.

But it only works that fast in TransEdit, how to allow DVBViewer to tune so fast for the device startup?

how to allow DVBViewer to tune so fast for the device startup?

You can do the same in DVBViewer Pro versions > 4.0.0 (still beta, but it will become a stable release soon). Please read the "Hints for DVBViewer Pro" sections in the DiSEqC chapter of the TransEdit manual.

You can do the same in DVBViewer Pro versions > 4.0.0 (still beta, but it will become a stable release soon). Please read the "Hints for DVBViewer Pro" sections in the DiSEqC chapter of the TransEdit manual.

Okay, it also work in DVBViewer Pro 4.0.1.60b! The device startup is fast! Thank you very much for the nice support!

So there is a small bug in TransEdit!~ :biggrin:

I reported this to TeVii. This issue should be handled within driver.

Not necessarily. The driver obviously switches LNB power on before sending the first DiSEqC command, and it can't know how long the equipment needs to power up (unless it uses DiSEqC 2.x for getting feedback, but the switch may not support it).

So the driver has to estimate the time. However, it should at least assume something like 100 or 200 ms. More would be disadvantageous for all users with faster equipment, because they would get an unnecessary delay.

Problem is that most applications are not so much into the whole thing as the DVBViewer or TransEdit are, which can do it all... proberly setting S2 parameters, re-tuning on missing stream, giving the equipment time to properly boot a.s.o.. So more intelligence is put into the driver.

Now the TeVii S460 changing channel speed (channels on the same Diseqc port or on other ports) is faster than my other DVB cards, like Twinhan Mantis DVB-S2, KNC1 DVB-S2 and Technotrend S2-3200.

I very like the speedy channel switching using TeVii S460. Hope after the driver update, it only solves the initial power on timer issue and not affecting other timers.

Thanks!

Thank you very much!! It works in TransEdit!

I manually set Vendor.1=15 in TransEdit.ini.

Internal / Delay / 100

Then perform Analyze, it's okay to get results! I tried different delays, 100ms is okay in my case.

Today, I found, just 2 same diseqc commands are okay, no need to insert delay. So following setting is okay for TeVii S460: