Vista Ultimate Media Centre and Australia Compatible?

casno21

Hi,

I stumbled across this site in a search to try and find a way to resolve some problems I've encountered, and am hoping someone here will be able to help me. I recently had a new computer built after we lost our home in a fire and the technician convinced me to go with Vista Ultimate which came with Media Centre. My previous pc was XP Pro and my capture card was a DVICO Fusion HD-DVT-Plus which was excellent and picked up every Havailable channel. I am not picking up every HD channel with my current capture card, and I also cannot edit any recordings because the format (DRM I think) is not recognised by the programs I use for editing. I have the following,:

CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz LGA 775 8MB L2 Cache

GRAPHICS CARD RADEON HD 4550,512MB,DDR3,PCIE2.0,DVI,HDMI

HARD DRIVE CUDA 1TB ,7200RPM,32MB,SATA2 3.0Gb/s,NC

MAINBOARD ASUS P5KR 5xSATA 2x1394 12xUSB RAID ,JBOD

MEMORY GIG HYPERX 1066MHz(PC2-8500) DDR2

MONITOR syncmaster 2233sW/2233 swplus, syncmaster magic cx2233sw(digital)

NETWORK PCIe Gigabit LAN controller featuring AI NET2

POWER SUPPLY ASUS 500W PSU,ATX12V V2.2,4xSATA,2xPCI

SOUND Realtek ALC 883 8 -Channel High-Definition Audio CODEC

SPEAKERS Logitech LS21 2.1, Black, 2x 1.5W RMS Satellites, 4W RMS

TV CARD HAUPPAUGE WinTV-HVR-2200 (8980) MCE Dual TV Tuner PCI-e Card

DRIVER cd-wintv-mce-v3.4

WINDOWS MICROSOFT WINDOWS VISTA ULTIMATE 64-BIT DVD-OEM SERVICE PACK 1

The programs I use for editing are ProjectX to demux, then I use MPEG2Sshnitt for editing the ads out, and then encode using TMPG Encoder. Once that's done I can then convert to any other format I want including burning to DVD. ProjectX only accepts TS/TP files, and this is where the problem with the Hauppauge card comes in. What I'm wanting to know is if anyone else has managed to use the DVBViewer for the same purposes and with success. I'd really appreciate any help or advice on this before paying for a product that might not work for me. I need to have something that will record in TS format. Thanks in advance.

There DVBViewer record in TS format the data in the format as thy transmitted from the TV station.

But for HD channel recordings ProjectX and MPEG2Sshnitt are not the right tools. Because thy are not able to handle h.264 video.

Most HD channels use h.264 as video codec and if I'm right in Australia thy use AAC+ as audio codec.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

May be H264TS Cutter work but i don't know about AAC+.

raw cutting should be possible with TSPlayer to

http://www.DVBViewer.com/griga/TSPlayer_Ma..._E/Content.html

new encode from h.264 will take time and result in much bigger files or worse quality

Thanks so much for responding. I've never had a problem with encoding and demuxing any HD program that I've recorded so far. H.264 has been around for a few years, but has only became a popular format in the past 18 months or so. Our audio is either MPEG-2 transport

stream or AC3 (unless something's changed that I don't know about!). ProjectX gives me an mpv file and mp2 file for audio. I can then make the audio or AC3 or whatever other format I want. I'm more concerned about this program (DBV Viewer) working with my Hauppauge capture card and Windows Media Centre, and recording to TS because that is the format that my software works with. To change to another format, I'd have to learn how to use alternative software, and that would be a bit of a struggle for me. What I'm trying to find out is if DVBViewer can work separately to windows media centre. I have a dual capture card, so am assuming that I can set 2 different tuners, and that's what I'd appreciate being clarified. I just need confirmation that the program will work with Vista Ultimate, with the Hauppauge 2200, and with media centre, and record in TS. If it can do all of those things, then I'll buy it straightaway. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to me. It's very much appreciated.

The DVBViewer will not work with the analogue part of this card. The DVB-T part should work.

You can use TransEdit MMC to check if it detects the card and is able to find channels if yes it should work in DVBViewer to.

You can specify in the options which tuner is/are used by the DVBViewer.

The DVBViewer will not work with the analogue part of this card. The DVB-T part should work.

You can use TransEdit MMC to check if it detects the card and is able to find channels if yes it should work in DVBViewer to.

You can specify in the options which tuner is/are used by the DVBViewer.

Thanks again Tjod. I tried theTransEdit, but couldn't work out what I should be seeing other than when I clicked on settings, it came up with a new window that showed my capture card/tuner type and some devices. It didn't show me any channels though, or an options menu, but I may not be seeing things properly as it is after 8am and I have not slept for 24 hours trying to find a way around my problem. I'll get some sleep and then try going through everything again. You've been very patient. I hope you don't mind if I come back a bit later and ask further questions that may help some more. Many thanks!

I use Vista x64 Ultimate with DVBViewer and four tuners (2 x Tiny Twin USB tuners) and have no problems. I record in .ts format (TS Mux for each specific channel) using the current WebScheduler. There is no need for Vista Media Centre that gathers dust in some dark corner of the C drive.

DVBViewer for live TV and for playback of recorded files. Of course, you can also record using DVBViewer.

The Australian HDTV is currently broadcast in Mpeg2 TS, so there is no problem using ProjectX, or my preference Videoredo TVSuite, to edit all recorded files.

Edit: I should add that I have read that some systems do not work well if you exceed 4 Gb total RAM. If you use more RAM you may need to explore using VMWare or similar to restrict the RAM for your TV machine.

Edited by dezzy

Agree with Dezzy, Videoredo Suite is a clean efficient editor of TS files and is well supported by the programmers and the forum community. DVBViewer is great for the Australian DVB-T system and I have found it very reliable. Only small problem I have found was yesterday after installing it in Windows Release Candidate 7100. No audio on high def channels but I have not played around with this issue yet.

Standard def and High def is fine in XP and Vista.