Recording DB

cobson

I use one PC to record programmes to a network store, and another PC in another room to view them.

I find that the current recording database is a little awkward to use, and a little buggy. Using the OSD on the viewing PC, I have to manually find the Refresh Database option on the menu in order to get it to show recordings done since the last refresh. Is there any reason why the db couldn't automatically refresh when you bring up the list of recordings ? Would there be any circumstances where you didn't want it to be up to date ? Perhaps it could be set as an option ?

Also, I find that the refresh doesn't always work correctly, leaving the recording list inaccurate (i.e. corrupt). I then have to go through the process of closing down DVBViewer, manually deleting the db file, re-launching DVBViewer, and then refreshing the database to rebuild it from scratch.

Wouldn't it be better if the db refresh function always worked this way, rather than trying to just add new recordings to the existing db which may be corrupt ? This would also remove the need for the Delete Orphans function.

So what I would really like to see is when I go to the recordings screen, the system automatically rebuilds the db from scratch, giving an up to date, uncorrupted recording list without the user having to do anything.

The recording DB of the DVBViewer is for local only. so no buggy and stuff, just use it as it is intended. Or you could use the recording service as centralized server...

The recording DB of the DVBViewer is for local only. so no buggy and stuff, just use it as it is intended. Or you could use the recording service as centralized server...

Sorry, I didn't phrase that very well did I ? As the program is only designed for local use then of course it isn't a bug. Rather, it is just an effect caused by using the software beyond the scope of its design. Indeed, it is a testament to the good design and robustness of DVBViewer that I can even use it in the way that I do!

Could I make the suggestion, though, that using DVBViewer in this way (i.e. two or more PCs with a shared network store) is a very useful and practical setup for endusers ? Might you possibly consider looking at the db setup with a view to supporting this method of operation in the future ? Indeed, it already works very well - it is just some minor issues with the db refresh that would make it perfect.

Even if you don't want to do this, the automatic db refresh would be just as useful for local use. I can't think of any circumstances where the user wouldn't want the db to be up to date, can you ?

Thanks!

Edited by cobson