Discontinuities for HD Channels

brutus

Some discontinuities on HD Channels (on 1920x1080 - 25 Hz)

I use DVBViewer with Recordingservice, on a ASUS M3A78-EM, AMD X2 4850e, onboard HD3200 graphics, codec PDVD8, XP SP3, Technisat HD2 DVB-S2.

When watching Live TV HD channels I get sometimes stuttering, when checking DVBSOURCE I see some discontinuities.

If I let recordingservice record the same HD channel and then watch the recording everything runs smooth (zero discontinuities in DVBSOURCE).

On another system running DVBViewer (UNICAST device) via LAN, P4 2.8GHz with HD3450 graphics, codec PDVD8, XP SP3, watching Live TV runs smooth.

DVB-S signal level/quality should not be the cause of the stuttering since one system works fine.

I've checked the forum, saw some suggestions regarding buffers, played a bit with these buffers but without success (audio buffer, service max buffer).

What else could I try to get the first system (which contains the recordingservice) to run smooth ?

FYI One system I use in the living room (green PC, always on), the other in another room (standby).

Questions:

1- Does this happen with all HD channels?

2- Have you tried different video renderers?

3- If available, have you tried different codecs?

Edited by fundom

1. It only happens with 1920x1080 25 Hz HD channels (for example NGC HD), 1280x720 50 Hz runs smooth (Live TV stutters after a few seconds, recording-playback via recordingservice is ok)

2. I tried overlay, VMR7/9 (XP SP3)

3. I use Power DVD 8, on both systems, with HW acceleration on, only on one systems it is stuttering, which other codec has HW acceleration ?

4. I disabled timeshifting too

1. It only happens with 1920x1080 25 Hz HD channels (for example NGC HD), 1280x720 50 Hz runs smooth (Live TV stutters after a few seconds, recording-playback via recordingservice is ok)

2. I tried overlay, VMR7/9 (XP SP3)

3. I use Power DVD 8, on both systems, with HW acceleration on, only on one systems it is stuttering, which other codec has HW acceleration ?

4. I disabled timeshifting too

Have you disabled Open whole transponder?

Well that is a very strong indication that hardware is not coping well with Full-HD streams.

Give a try to "ArcSoft Video Decoder" ( hxxp://www. ). Dont forget to replace hxxp with http.

The other solution with this very hardware is to migrate to Windows 7. That will afford you DirectX 10 feature with "DxVA 2" in EVR mode...which simply means much more hardware acceleration than what one gets by way of "DxVA 1" in XP.

I installed HDPACK2.1 and used ArcSoft still get discontinuities, tested windows7, only in overlay mode it seems to be better, with EVR bad luck

on xp I noticed, when I turn off dxva I don't get discontinuities (pdvd-arcsoft),

when dxva is on and when watching my CPU load I saw when the CPU load goes low (from 75% to 25%), after a few seconds watching the HD channel, I get discontinuities ... is this because of a power-state ?

Edited by brutus
... is this because of a power-state ?

That's a very valid point. With HD quality graphic cards one needs PSU of 350Watt min. So if your PSU is below that, that can cause substandard performance by the graphic card.

I hope it is not a PSU problem, my PSU is a Seasonic 330W, I measured (some time ago) the total power consumption and was 80 W during HD playback, so I assume there is still some margin.

On the other hand, while playback a HD channel it runs smooth.

I'm going to check again the power consumption with CPU load, playback and recording, with DXVA on, on Windows 7 and XP SP3.

Thanks so far the tips !

Wishing you success. Last tip: when you try DxVA under Windows 7, do try again EVR mode ...BUT WITH ARCSOFT VIDEO DECODER. And in case EVR mode does not work for you with DVBViewer Pro...then try DVBViewer GE which out-perform Pro version in certain areas.

Edited by fundom

I'm getting closer to 'my' problem ... it isn't a DVBViewer problem ;-)

Checked also GE version, win7 with ArcSoft and DxVA2, no difference, always discontinuities while watching LiveTV an HD channel.

While recording an HD channel and watching via media-player an HD channel I get discontinuities, when I stop media-player the discontinuities goes away. I check the discontinuities via the web-interface (status page). So power-state seems to be related.

Thanks for helping.......

I'm getting closer to 'my' problem ... it isn't a DVBViewer problem ;-)

Checked also GE version, win7 with ArcSoft and DxVA2, no difference, always discontinuities while watching LiveTV an HD channel.

While recording an HD channel and watching via media-player an HD channel I get discontinuities, when I stop media-player the discontinuities goes away. I check the discontinuities via the web-interface (status page). So power-state seems to be related.

Thanks for helping.......

Hi brutus,

I also have an Asus Board with AMD CPU using XP SP3.

Please deactivate in BIOS CPU Seetings C1E and try again. Since I deactivated this option all my problems with discontiniuties are gone.

Regrads

studifh

Hi brutus,

I also have an Asus Board with AMD CPU using XP SP3.

Please deactivate in BIOS CPU Seetings C1E and try again. Since I deactivated this option all my problems with discontiniuties are gone.

Regrads

studifh

You have saved my life ! Now it works PERFECT ! How did you find out how to solve it ?

C1E function intrigued me a lot ;) so I go for it and found this explanation in a Intel white paper:

Enhanced HALT state (C1E)

C1E reduces processor speed and voltage when the processor is in idle

mode, decreasing power consumption and heat generation. The C1E

state is invoked when the operating system’s idle process issues a

HALT (HLT) command. Most operating systems do this repeatedly

when not under a full load. The C1E halt state turns down the entire

CPU’s clock frequency (via multiplier control) and voltage, squeezing

out extra energy savings.

...hope that's useful also for others...

:)