Rec Svc - Multiple users

CX23882-19

Lars, do you have any plans to include multiple recording lists for different users?

To avoid running satellite cables to the living room, I intend to have a HTPC in the lounge, running DVBViewer, to receive over WLAN from my server in the loft. I'm looking at the little Acer Aspire Revo to use as a low-cost DVBViewer client, but as it only has an 8GB SSD it will be necessary to send all timers/recordings to the Recording Service (if not I would just let it record locally from a Unicast tuner stream).

The type of programs that will be recorded in the living room are likely to be different to those recorded elsewhere, and it would be nice to be able to separate them.

Is this possible?

edit: I just realised a huge flaw in my plan. If I make a recording on the separate server with the Recording Service it's not possible to play them back from within DVBViewer on the client PC. I guess I'll just go for a HTPC with an internal hard disk.

If I make a recording on the separate server with the Recording Service it's not possible to play them back from within DVBViewer on the client PC. I guess I'll just go for a HTPC with an internal hard disk.

Why? Does work like a charm here. You just have to think network. :bounce:

This means:

- use network share as recording folders in the recording service (even if they are local shares), make sure they can be accessed by everybody without password (the recording service needs this and the clients also)

- from the Clients get the recording entries from the server, they will use the networkshare path and access the recordings over the network an play them back.

And yes I plan to integrate user access rights but this takes several steps. The most important one would be user based channel lists or more specific favourite lists served by the services and no direct access to the channel list at all on the clients.

- use network share as recording folders in the recording service (even if they are local shares), make sure they can be accessed by everybody without password (the recording service needs this and the clients also)

Thanks, that is a great idea. I never thought to use the network path on the server itself. Cheers! :bounce: