PS3 UPnP Feedback

Lars,

Fantastic work on getting the PS3 working with the Recording Service.

I do have some issues though:

1) I frequenty get a message on the PS3 when browsing "folders" saying "The folder could not be accessed. The content may have been deleted from the media server." After this the content then shows up. I have two PS3's (one Japanese and one UK) and they both do the same. Japanese PS3 isn't really suitable anyway as it can't output at 50Hz ;)

2) When trying to watch a HD channel live I sometimes have to select the channel 2 or 3 times before it will begin to stream.

3) Due to BBC HD AC3 audio being screwed up (as we all know) I only get MP2 2CH audio. My recordings have no audio (I only record the AC3) unless I patch with BBC_HD_Fixer. Once again I request the option to patch this "on the fly".

4) Any chance of the option to customise the format the name of recorded files are listed in. Basically I want the filename, not just the name of the program.

Keep up the good work. If you need more info please ask.

Thanks, Rob.

3) Due to BBC HD AC3 audio being screwed up (as we all know) I only get MP2 2CH audio. My recordings have no audio (I only record the AC3) unless I patch with BBC_HD_Fixer. Once again I request the option to patch this "on the fly".

See here and here, (should also work with live streaming).

4) Any chance of the option to customise the format the name of recorded files are listed in. Basically I want the filename, not just the name of the program.

How and where? I can always add different views of the stuff. But someone must point me in the right direction...

Customizing an existing view is not possible due to UPNP limitations. It's after all only a glorified but very simple (pseudo)file browser ;)

1. and 2. I don't know. For 2 a detailed UPNP debuglog from the service may help (see options/web upnp). For 1. I'm not sure, maybe a websniffer (wireshark etc) capture in combination with the detailed upnp log might shed some light on this.

See here and here, (should also work with live streaming).

Great stuff, I'll give this a try later tonight. Have 3 recordings on the go at the moment...

How and where? I can always add different views of the stuff. But someone must point me in the right direction...

Customizing an existing view is not possible due to UPNP limitations. It's after all only a glorified but very simple (pseudo)file browser ;)

At the moment all that is listed on the PS3 when I view "recordings > all" is the programs name. I'd like the option to see the filename, so instead of just "Top Gear", it would display "Top Gear_BBC HD (S)_06-04_20-55-07.ts"

1. and 2. I don't know. For 2 a detailed UPNP debuglog from the service may help (see options/web upnp). For 1. I'm not sure, maybe a websniffer (wireshark etc) capture in combination with the detailed upnp log might shed some light on this.

I'll turn on UPnP logging and post the test. Will look at wireshark again.

I'd like the option to see the filename, so instead of just "Top Gear", it would display "Top Gear_BBC HD (S)_06-04_20-55-07.ts"

OK so I add a folder "Files". Well, I don't want to open a list of 300+ recordings and browse it, how would you manage or better subdivide this, so everybody has a use for it? :)

We could create one category "all recording", one "by channel", maybe "by time" (month/year) also? I need some ideas here ;)

Patching BBC HD AC3 audio for both streaming and recording works ;)

You have to disable the option to send all audio tracks in the recording service otherwise the MP2 audio gets priority when streaming and you cannot switch to AC3.

Edit: I'll have a think on the UPnP folders and post again tomorrow...

Edited by Rob100

I followed the steps described above to get BBC HD AC3 audio, but getting "no audio" on the PS3. When running DVBViewer, I get confirmation that the patch is working by way of the tick against the plugin name, and @ other times it's greyed out when not operational on other channels.

Ticking and unticking "send all audio tracks" in RecordingService toggles between mp2 audio & silence @ the PS3. Any ideas?

Second issue: When I browse the "Recordings" folder on the PS3, I only see recordings made by Recording Service itself, and not those previously made by DVBViewer & stored in the same folder. How do I force Recording Service to updates its database of recorded files to include those (or any other content I might dump in that same folder?

Lastly, I am mightily impressed with the uPnP streaming & delighted with my purchase on the first day of use!

Edited by gregeric
I followed the steps described above to get BBC HD AC3 audio, but getting "no audio" on the PS3. When running DVBViewer, I get confirmation that the patch is working by way of the tick against the plugin name, and @ other times it's greyed out when not operational on other channels.

Ticking and unticking "send all audio tracks" in RecordingService toggles between mp2 audio & silence @ the PS3. Any ideas?

So to confirm...

You've make a Plugins1 folder within the Plugins folder and copied the dll to there?

I'd make Plugins2, 3 and 4 at minimum to ensure the PS3 (UPnP) gets it. If you are recording a channel or two and have DVBViewer also open that's two or three instances already called for.

Do you get the problem where you have to select BBC HD a few times before it starts to stream?

Lars, any chance you can make radio streaming work? Comes up as Unsuported Data on PS3 at the moment.

The PS3 only supports mp3 as audiostream not mp2. If you want to change it:

from the changelog (1.4.7.90)

Add: Support for mp3 Streaming of live DVBradio (streamed in 192 kbit/44100Hz).

You need: FFMPEG "Current Version". Extract the ffmpeg.exe into the service program folder.

To activate the mp3 streaming add to the service.xml section [uPnP]

<entry name="UseMP3">1</entry>

Remember to stop the service first.

But it won't help much, because it seems it can't handle the very low data rate of a live radio source.

My Popcornhour takes over 3 (!!!) minutes until the playback start and if I stop the server it continues to play 3 more minutes. There is a buffer which needs to be filled before it starts and it seems to be the same with the PS3 which simply timesout due to the low datarate.

So to confirm...

You've make a Plugins1 folder within the Plugins folder and copied the dll to there?

I'd make Plugins2, 3 and 4 at minimum to ensure the PS3 (UPnP) gets it. If you are recording a channel or two and have DVBViewer also open that's two or three instances already called for.

Do you get the problem where you have to select BBC HD a few times before it starts to stream?

No, just one copy of the .dll - that'll be it, thanks for picking up on my newbie error! Guess I have to do similar with the dll's I'm using to get my FTV BSkyB card to work too (Ch4 HD, fiver etc)....

§ 13

Do not ask for or discuss plugins for descrambling/decrypting pay-tv or key-codes.

Although the DVBViewer Pro provides full pay-tv functionality it must only be used in combination with a valid subscription of a pay-tv provider, a tv-card/box featuring a "conditional access module" (CAM)and/or the corresponding "common interface" (CI) with a smart-card. This applies regardless whether software-descrambling is allowed in your country or not.

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?act=boardrules

Yes, I'm getting similar messages about empty folders, DLNA errors, channels not starting, but once streaming starts, I didn't experience much further problem zapping around (albeit slowly!). Will further test tonight & report back.

FTV BSkyB card to work too (Ch4 HD, fiver etc)....

Can you elaborate on what's required (hardware and software) for this?

§ 13

Do not ask for or discuss plugins for descrambling/decrypting pay-tv or key-codes.

Although the DVBViewer Pro provides full pay-tv functionality it must only be used in combination with a valid subscription of a pay-tv provider, a tv-card/box featuring a "conditional access module" (CAM)and/or the corresponding "common interface" (CI) with a smart-card. This applies regardless whether software-descrambling is allowed in your country or not.

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?act=boardrules

But it won't help much, because it seems it can't handle the very low data rate of a live radio source.

My Popcornhour takes over 3 (!!!) minutes until the playback start and if I stop the server it continues to play 3 more minutes. There is a buffer which needs to be filled before it starts and it seems to be the same with the PS3 which simply timesout due to the low datarate.

Lars - I'm still thinking what else I would like other than all the filenames in one folder and to be honest even if it lists 200+ recordings in one folder I'd be happy...

As for the above, could you not force FFMPEG to increase the bit rate?

So lets say the radio station is 128k MP2, use FFMPEG to convert to MP3 at 320k. Obviously the quality won't increase, but could it fix the above problem?

Thinking more on the radio streams, could you not "wrap" the MPEG2 audio in a .ts file and add a dummy video track (lets say for now a DVBViewer logo), so the PS3 (or other UPnP client) thinks it's playing a video?

I have no idea how to do this. The viewer (and service) is all about taking mpeg apart not putting it together from scratch :)

I have no idea how to do this. The viewer (and service) is all about taking mpeg apart not putting it together from scratch :wacko:

Me neither, but it sounded like a good idea.

PS3 Media Server some how use tsMuxeR to remux a MKV (H264/AC3) into a TS "on the fly".

I wish I had the knowledge to help more :)

Well one good thing did come out already in this discussion.

There is a designflaw in the ffmpeg handling, which prevents more than one client to use the transcoding at the same time.

This only affects the mp3 upnp streaming if more than one client wants to stream mp3 with ffmepg as transcoder.

Is this excessive delay while the buffer is being filled with mp3 stream solely related to LIVE streams? twonky mediaserver running on my NAS has no such delays serving locally stored .mp3 to the PS3??

twonky can read and deliver as fast as the PS3 can receive it, because the data is already there.

LIVE Radio only gives you the actual data rate of the dvbstream of the channel, there is no way to influence this.

I've no idea what triggered it (newbie here getting to know his round the software & fiddling with settings all over the place), but I've now got the AC3 audio @ the PS3. But it's a downmixed mp2, not raw AC3 bitstream.

Is it possible to make the DD symbol light up on my amplifier & enjoy full surround sound?

I also found out the answer to my query about updating/merging Recording Service's list of recordings - it's done via RS's Web Interface/Recording tab.

Edited by gregeric

the service does not downmix or touch the stream in any way (at least for TV). Most likely some setting in the PS3 setup...

Meet the world's worst beta tester o:) Again, I don't know what has effected the change, (certainly nothing @ the PS3), but first thing today I experienced the no audio problem. Happily, after further messing, the magic DD light is on my amp. Fantastic.

Shame the PS3 can't do 422 for feeds though :bye: Does the Popcorn or BLT manage streamed 422?

I ask again - is there a way to integrate / import recordings into the database for uPnP streaming eg those made with other DVB apps, or home movies?

Edited by gregeric

Hello - has anyone been able to get this working with windows7 RC1?

Running Vista, the PS3 can see & playback the DVBViewer recordings just using the default settings. However, with W7, DVBViewer is not even seen as a media server.

FYI, PS3 can see ps3mediaserver running on windows7.

Thanks

I ask again - is there a way to integrate / import recordings into the database for uPnP streaming eg those made with other DVB apps, or home movies?

Lars, as an alternative where does the "Video" folder look for files?

I see TV, Radio, Recordings and Video, but Video is always empty. Where should files go to be visible in this UPnP folder?

That's great news Lars :)

@ the PS3 my Satellite folder looks the same as my All folder - a loooong list of providers. In DVBViewer I currently have 4 satellite groupings - shouldn't they appear under the Satellite folder, instead of provider folders?

Edited by gregeric
  • 2 weeks later...
Shame the PS3 can't do 422 for feeds though :) Does the Popcorn or BLT manage streamed 422?

..nope, the popi can't decode 4:2:2. But there's a workaround by using the vlc as transcoder. Though you have to set up the vlc manually cos the recording service's webinterface only allows narrow band streaming.