Timeshift in RAM memory?

raducoc

I recently haved the oportunity to play with an friends system who have a MAC with EyeTV and TheTube as programs to wach digital TV. I was impressed with some aspects of both programs, but especially with the fact that both programs can make Timeshift in RAM memory instead to use HDD space to do this. TheTube also have the option to record from Timrshift RAM file to HDD. I think this is a WONDERFUL feature who will be nice to have also in DVBViewer. And is so practical. You dont ever need to worry to activate timeshift beacouse is activated by default and if you missed something or just want to see somthing again just muve the timeline where you want to see again and that is. Very simple and very powerful feature.

Not real (the problems where discussed many times), but there is a plugin TimeshiftPlus which makes Timeshift in RAM possible.

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?...st&p=234069

Thanks for info about TimeshiftPlus, but it is weak. I can obtain only around 5-6 minutes of timeshift in RAM and when I change the channel is deleting the timeshift from previous channel. Its just not the same thing as EyeTV and TheTube can do! But anyway, better than nothing.

Hi,

I think you should blame Microsoft. MAC is based on unix and I think they use /tmp for the timeshift file end /tmp can have tempfs as a file system and this is something like a dynamic ramdisc. Perhaps you find a dynamic ramdisc for Windows and put your timeshift file on this drive.

Ralf

I don't see the need for a timeshift in RAM... maybe somebody will explain to me!

I find an USB stick is cheaper, fast enough and has more space available...

Only problem with using this is, when you enable automatic timeshift start, you probably want to disable the timeshift alert, when you switch channels!

But I find this too risky, when I touch the wrong button unintended or not thinking... everything is gone!

So I asume everything we need is a timeshift alert, which only alerts when you really watch shifted... and at least I'm happy!

I know I have stated this several times, but less support. What do you think?

Hope the plugin author can open an English thread for the RAM timeshift, international users may not read German..

p.s., I think Timeshift in RAM is a very useful function, it will be better if DVBViewer can native support this feature.

Also, I don't know why the TransEdit doesn't got integrated in DVBViewer since the "Channel Editor" is too way incomplete and inconvenient than TransEdit.