Play from cmdline

ytulpan

Hello

Can I start playing a file from the command line, i.e. "DVBViewer file.ts" ? It does not seem to work and neither drag and drop onto the dvbv icon. I need this for running a script involving dvbv.

On the other hand dropping a file onto the openned window starts playing.

Thanks

Well, much to my amazement, it does not work

Just rightclick on the file you want to play, then select play with, navigate to DVBViewer programfolder, select DVBViewer.exe and then check alway use this program.

If the file you want plays is show.mpg an is located in c:\movies, you you place a line like this "c:\movies\show.mpg". Remember the double qutationmarks

Sorry to insist, but I have obviously made all those tests before posting.

*It does not work*

For instance, I made a shortcut to DVBViewer that reads:

"C:\Program Files\DVBViewer\DVBViewer.exe" "c:\temp\aaa.ts"

It will open DVBViewer, but will not play the file.

Maybe I should mention that I run Windows 7 RC 32bit, DVBViewer pro 4.1.1.1

Thanks

It does not seem to work and neither drag and drop onto the dvbv icon

Here it works under WinXP SP2.

I'd try something simple like -c as parameter (it lets DVBViewer start without tuning a channel), in order to find out whether files are affected or commandline parameters in general.

Griga,

Thanks for the response.

Actually, I need DVBViewer only as a player for playing ts files recorded by sagetv *with DVB subtitles*, and DXVA acceleration. I have no tuners connected to DVBViewer.

Any other test I could do ?

I will also try on another machine with XP SP3 (I have no SP2 available)

It also does not work.

So, it is something about how win 7 passes the command-line parameters and how DVBV parses them. Maybe something related to unicode ?

I will also try programmatically with VBscript or similar.

Edited by ytulpan
Sorry to insist, but I have obviously made all those tests before posting.

*It does not work*

For instance, I made a shortcut to DVBViewer that reads:

"C:\Program Files\DVBViewer\DVBViewer.exe" "c:\temp\aaa.ts"

It will open DVBViewer, but will not play the file.

Maybe I should mention that I run Windows 7 RC 32bit, DVBViewer pro 4.1.1.1

Thanks

But you didn't do what i wrote you should do

Leave out the "C:\Program Files\DVBViewer\DVBViewer.exe"

Only do this "c:\temp\aaa.ts"

When you have associated .ts with DVBViewer, windows will use DVBViewer to play the file

I did and it did not.

ts *is* associated with DVBV. I tried of course your suggestion as well, even though using associations or specifically mentioning the program name is similar in windows.

By the way, if a window of DVBV is already open, everything works as it should. So a workaround could be keeping dvbv open

All the tests indicate there is a bug in DVBV under windows 7. It is not only about playing files but also about any parameters in the command line

By the way, if a window of DVBV is already open, everything works as it should.

Please explain more in detail what you did. Those one-sentence-reports are useless for pinpointing the problem.

All the tests indicate there is a bug in DVBV under windows 7.

Who knows? Maybe a bug in Windows 7 under DVBViewer ;) You are the first reporting it.

As Humpty-Dumpty told Alice, the question is who writes the rules.

So, in the case on Windows 7 under DVBViewer

1. Associate .ts with DVBViewer

2. Make sure DVBV is closed

3. Double-click on a .ts file

DVBViever opens, but does not play the file.

On the other hand,

1a. Associate .ts with DVBViewer

2a Make sure DVBViever is running (Idle or playing)

3a. Double-click on a .ts file

DVBViewer starts to play the file

As a matter of fact, no command-line parameter is processed by DVBV when it starts-up, but *is* processed if it is open

Also, Files with non-ascii characters in them are not playable in DVBV in any context, probably because it does not deal with unicode.

Now, of course there could be something strange with my 2 PC's running win 7 or anything else. I should, though, mention that other programs run correctly with command-line parameters, so the odds are ...

I stll did't check with WinXP, but I suspect that all will be OK.

I wish you a happy Friday.

That's interesting. Does it also work if you drag & drop the file on the DVBViewer icon (desktop shortcut or such)?

I tell you what happens in this case: A second DVBViewer instance is launched. It recognizes that DVBViewer is already running, gets the command line (in the same way as the first instance), stores it globally by using the Windows API, sends a message to the first instance signalling that a command line is to be fetched, and exits without becoming visible.

As Humpty-Dumpty told Alice, the question is who writes the rules.

So, in the case on Windows 7 under DVBViewer

1. Associate .ts with DVBViewer

2. Make sure DVBV is closed

3. Double-click on a .ts file

DVBViever opens, but does not play the file.

On the other hand,

1a. Associate .ts with DVBViewer

As a matter of fact, no command-line parameter is processed by DVBV when it starts-up, but *is* processed if it is open

Also, Files with non-ascii characters in them are not playable in DVBV in any context, probably because it does not deal with unicode.

Now, of course there could be something strange with my 2 PC's running win 7 or anything else. I should, though, mention that other programs run correctly with command-line parameters, so the odds are ...

I stll did't check with WinXP, but I suspect that all will be OK.

I wish you a happy Friday.

You have done your homework, hope somebody can help. I am using Vista, where it works

You have done your homework, hope somebody can help. I am using Vista, where it works

A longshot: Disable your firewall, just for testing purposes

I try it with a shortcut like this "C:\Program Files\DVBViewer\DVBViewer.exe" "c:\temp\aaa.ts" in Windows 7 RC 32bit.

And there is no problem. DVBViewer starts playing the file.

I don't know what to say. Could it be that this might be because I have no tuners defined ? Long shot...

Also while you tried under Win7 and it worked, I tried on a different PC with XP SP3 and it did not work also. So, it is not an issue with the OS...