playback of recorded mpg-files with WMP

mika

Hi to everyone,

when recording any video channel in mpg-format I can not view it with my WindowsMediaPlayer 9 !!

What am I doing wrong ??

Do I have to choose special settings for the recording in DVBViewer and playback with WMP:

Some days before I made a recording with the TE edition of the DVBViewer and that *.mpg file I can still view with the WMP without any problem.

Now (after upgrading to the full version of DVBViewer) all newly recorded mpg-video files could no longer be shown with the WMP. Playback of these files with the DVBViewer 2.0r3 works quite fine ((takes several seconds to synchronise after "fast forward" or "rewind")).

WMP just starts but only shows a black screen (no picture no sound, even the "playing time" is not displayed correctly. It is always 00:00)

My recording settings now are as follows:

recording > Video/Audio PS (*.mpg)

DirectShowfilter > DVB source Audio and Video > DVD Express Video Decoder

(see also attached setup.ini)

I use Marfi's filter

Every hint would be fine...

ThanX

Mika

Setup.ini

Thanks for the valuable info !!

after installation of the "moonlight" encoder the "sh.." works with WMP9.

But trying to show my recorded files on my other PC (with standard WMP9) still does not work !!

.. must be my settings somehow !!??

Unfortunately I can not figure out which settings I have changed from the TE-DVBViewer to the full version.

By the way: which settings in DVBViewer should I use to be compatibel to WMP9 and which settings do influence the mpg-file structure when recording (are the filter settings important for playback or for recording?)

I made the recordings with the "default?!" settings of the TE-DVBViewer edition.

I have not installed a DVD player on my system, but isn't a mpeg2 decoder installed together with the DVBviewer2.0

Sorry for my "minimum" video know-how ;-)

Mika

But trying to show my recorded files on my other PC (with standard WMP9) still does not work

Well, first of all you have to understand, that WMP doesn't contain any native MPEG2 support, since it is no Microsoft format - they don't want to pay licence fees for it. It depends on the decoders/filters that are installed on the PC. If WMP doesn't find a suitable decoder/demuxer, it won't play MPEG2 videos.

So if installing the Elecard filters on one PC solved the problem, just do the same on the other... additionally installing DVD player software like WinDVD (Intervideo)or PowerDVD (Cyberlink) may help, since DVD playback also requires a MPEG2 decoder.

Griga

... so far so good - I think I am on the way now !?

But one last question is still not clear for me:

I thought that together with the installation of the DVBViewer a mpeg2 decoder is part of that software package and if so, why does not the WMP than use this mpeg2 decoder for playback ??

.. or lets say it another way: is WMP9 using an other mpeg2 decoder than that one DVBViewer uses for playback ??

Mika

why does not the WMP than use this mpeg2 decoder for playback

I don't know. It's up to Microsoft to answer this question. Probably WMP tries to insert some of its own filters, that won't cooperate with the DVD Expess decoder provided by TechniSat.

IMO there are better players for MPEG2 videos than WMP9, e.g. RadLight, BSPlayer or Zoomplayer.

Griga

Edited by Griga
I thought that together with the installation of the DVBViewer a mpeg2 decoder is part of that software package and if so, why does not the WMP than use this mpeg2 decoder for playback ??
Thats M$ !

Try to install the elecard Decoder package and it will work...