DVBServer for Linux

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Wonder if there would be such an option ....

Let's see whether things would change! o:)

no DVBViewer is only for Windows
Edited by Mr. Man-wai Chang

The whole DVB access depends on Windows BDA, networking on Windows sockets, so lot's of platform dependencies...

Also interesting would be the question whether the Linux Delphi Compiler could easily create a UI for X windows under Linux.

Edited by CiNcH
The whole DVB access depends on Windows BDA, networking on Windows sockets, so lot's of platform dependencies...

Also interesting would be the question whether the Linux Delphi Compiler could easily create a UI for X windows under Linux.

I only need the work being done by DVBServer, not the whole DVBViewer Pro. Just take the signal

from the HDTV tuner at the Linux server and stream it to DVBViewer clients in the network. That should be a lot easier!!

The way you say it, it sounds pretty easy yes :rotfl: . Reality is different however. We are able to live without a GUI at the server, but we still need access to the DVB card and the network. Besides the fact that hardly anybody has a need for it..

Edited by CiNcH

If you need such a feature so badly (DVB stream from Linux to PCs) you can try with VLC...

IMO there are good probablity that, if you stream as MPEG2 in a TS container, you can catch it in DVBViewer with "Open URL..."

:rotfl:

If you need such a feature so badly (DVB stream from Linux to PCs) you can try with VLC...

IMO there are good probablity that, if you stream as MPEG2 in a TS container, you can catch it in DVBViewer with "Open URL..."

:)

Are you hinting that VLC is doing the same thing as DVBServer?

No, it's not the same except for the basic function you ask for; ie VLC on a Linux box do can stream on LAN from a DVB source (as from other sources: DVD, files or even a Internet source...), but sure it's not DVBViewer; ie with VLC you can't, for example, change channel from a client interface (you have to use a web interface for this), or program a recording, or use more than one DVB source, or have a beautiful EPG, TeleText etc. etc...

So if your goal is only to have a Linux box to stream a DVB channel on a LAN, VLC can be you answer...

So if your goal is only to have a Linux box to stream a DVB channel on a LAN, VLC can be you answer...

I have seen some experts talking about using VLC to stream HDTV signals. The procedures are quite complicated,

definitely not as simple as using DVBServer. There is also the possibility of not having a good linux driver for your

HDTV tuner.

The procedures are quite complicated,...
Yes, I already know and warned you about it, but I work with VLC at work and I can assure you that it isn't as impossible; and I have also leaded you to the simplest and 90% working solution: stream the flow as is, alas MPEG2 (I couldn't know you were talking about HDTV but I assume it isn't so much different) in a TS container...

There is also the possibility of not having a good linux driver...

If you are accustomed with Linux you already had to know that a number of time you have to code what you need by yourself... and if you don't agree with that you can understand why there are so many Windows box out of there!