Set current recording task to standby on DVBViewer exit

uglyned

Hi,

I've been thinknig about this for a while.

When I go to bed, I just want to press the power button, exit DVBViewer and forget about it.

Problem is, if I quit DVBViewer then put PC into standby and there's a recoording in progress, I stop the recording. However if I don't shut down and there's no recording with a 'standby' task set, the PC stays on all night.

Would it be possible to set DVBViewer up so that when I exit it puts the PC into standby, can it be clever and, if no recording is active put the PC into standby now, but if there is a recording task active, add a 'standby' task to the end of that recording so that the PC goes into standby as soon as possible?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, but there's a much better, fool proof way now.

I use Windows Xp and recording service.

I have my Windows power management set to stand by after 5 minutes of inactivity.

When DVBViewer is running it blocks the screensaver and power management, so it doesn't shut down. Same when recording service is recording.

So now I never put my PC into standby myself. I just close DVBViewer and leave a blank Windows XP desktop. If Recording service is recording, it will hold the PC until it has finished, then let go. Five minutes later, PC shuts down.

I used to try putting the PC straight into standby from DVBViewer but this didn't work because when the reocrding service woke the PC up to record something, DVBViewer was running, so it never went back into standby.

This way DVBViewer isn't running, so the PC wakes up, records something, then goes back to sleep. When I'm finished on a night I just close DVBViewer and either the machine sleeps after five minutes because nothing is recording, or it finishes what it's recording then goes to sleep 5 minutes later.

Either way, I don't have to worry about it, I know that DVBViewer and the Windows power management will look after it for me.