Often DVB crash.

Bad decoders. Your decoder selection is more than poor, please install the decoders you got together with software of your card.

Bad decoders. Your decoder selection is more than poor, please install the decoders you got together with software of your card.

Please do elaborate as I'm not sure what you mean...

I use the latest FFDShow to video and audio decoding, but I'm guessing you're referring to my FloppyDTV driver?

I have the latest stable 4.5 driver but should I install the latest unstable beta and the latest unstable FW?

Bjur, uninstall all previous codecs - & install the following package:

[removed] (Replace hxxp with http)

Then select to install ONLY ArcSoft Codec & AC3.

That's all!

Thanks but that still doens't give me closure, to what my problem is, so I hope Lars will elaborate. Is it FFDshow as a decoder or driver updateproblem?

Because if it the last option, then why should I not use FFDShow? I'm using it to brush up and upscale picture and I have newer used a decoder the as even close to FFDShow brush up/upscale picture quality?

I have earlier had both PDVD and arcsoft installed but when I choose one of those the PQ is not even near FFDShow. They doesn't look good at all compared to FFDshow.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks but that still doens't give me closure, to what my problem is, so I hope Lars will elaborate. Is it FFDshow as a decoder or driver updateproblem?

Because if it the last option, then why should I not use FFDShow? I'm using it to brush up and upscale picture and I have newer used a decoder the as even close to FFDShow brush up/upscale picture quality?

I have earlier had both PDVD and arcsoft installed but when I choose one of those the PQ is not even near FFDShow. They doesn't look good at all compared to FFDshow.

Thanks for the help.

Lars are you there:)

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem! I have used Nvidia Pure Video both for video and audio for at least one year and it worked perfect with DVBViewer 3.9.4. When installing v.4.0 it still worked quite good, but I started to notice I sometimes got a short lockup followed by some clicks and beeps and then everything got back to normal. This was happening at least once a day. Installing 4.1.1 was a bad move because suddenly i experienced hard lockups and the only thing to do was to hardboot PC. I'm now back to v.4.0. I can live with a few minor lockups now and then. Hopefully you guys at DVBViewer fix this issue in version 4.2 later on. But my hopes isn't high cuz, your support sucks big time. It is nearly impossible to get some help at this forum....nice piece of software though!

Anyone else able to elaborate what Lars means, when Lars isn´t???

Does he mean I should update my FloppyDTV drivers or?

Anyone else able to elaborate what Lars means, when Lars isn´t???

Does he mean I should update my FloppyDTV drivers or?

Hi Bjur!

No, im almost sure he meant the decoders you use when decoding video/audio in DVBViewer. I have been using Nvidia Pure Video for both video and audio and i have now pinpointed what was causing my problems. My issues with hard lockups was due to my choice of Nvidia audiodecoder outputting sound over my HDMI audiodevice (ATI Radeon 3870). Changing from that decoder to AC3filter made my issues go away. Am still using Nvidias videocodec though. Nobody could make me choose any other videodecoder, cuz the videoquality is unmatched simply. Luckily the DVBViewer guys didn't spoil this for me as they did with the audiodecoder. In my world it is NOT bad decoders Lars...in this case i'm leaning against bad DVBViewercode somewhere. My problem got from non existing to REALLY BAD when upgrading

from v.3.9.4->v.4.0->v.4.1.1. And from really bad to non existing again when downgrading from v.4.1.1->v.4.0->v.3.9.4.

Regards

Majstang

Edited by majstang
Bjur, uninstall all previous codecs - & install the following package:

[removed] (Replace hxxp with http)

Then select to install ONLY ArcSoft Codec & AC3.

That's all!

Are ArcSoft Codecs included with DVBViewer now or what?

Thanks for the help.

Hi Bjur!

If you are suffering from the same issue i did there should be no problems continue using the same videodecoder as you used so far and are comfortable with. It should be the audiodecoder that is causing the crash when runned along with DVBViewer version 4.1.1.1. Would be intresting to know the results if you change MP2 audidecoder to AC3filter v.1.62b.

It would also be intresting to know if your present decodersetup (the one you have used with DVBViewer until now) is stable with DVBViewer 3.9.4 which it was for me. Please, do some testing and come back and report the results.

regards

majstang

Microsoft mpeg2 video decoder: louzy

fddshow: I would not start with fddshos at all.

Download for instance a cyberlink powerDVD trial.

Remove all other decoders (fddshow, microsoft mpeg decoder) and use just the powerdvd decoder.

Try DVBViewer then.

For audio: AC3filter can be used also but is not needed in the first test.

if and only if the system works stable, then you might try fddshow or simply register powerDVD.

WinDVD works also.

ps the decoders stay working, even when the trial period ends.

Remove all other decoders (fddshow, microsoft mpeg decoder) and use just the powerdvd decoder.

Try DVBViewer then.

if and only if the system works stable, then you might try fddshow or simply register powerDVD.

WinDVD works also.

Well, i think he pointed out specially that he didn't wanna use any other decoder besides fddshow, cuz he was really satisfied with the picturequality. I agree with you that powerdvd decoders would be a good choice, but only the audiodecoder in that case. In my mind this discussion is not whether decoders are bad or lousy, but howcome a decoder setup works really stable with one version and the next one totally crashes my HTPC hard. Without me doing anything other than upgrading versions. Hopefully the DVBViewer programmers has this issue under investigation, but refuses to give any comments about it besides blaming it on bad decoders. In my case I really can't agree with Nvidia Pure Video is a bad decoder choice...

Well, now it's time to let this go, but I will be back if there's problems with next official stable 4.2.? release.

Try DVBViewer then.

WinDVD works also.

Hi Benarty.

Thanks for the reply.

The reason why I use FFDShow and are so fond of it, is because I use Advanced FFDshow which can upscale and brush up the picture very nicely. I don't have to uninstall FFDShow but just tell to not be used in DVBViewer. I have tried earlier with Powerdvd but the picture was no way near Advanced FFDShow which also uses alot of CPU power, which perhaps could be the problem? But I can't see anywhere in the log if it's FFDShow which freezes up my system.

I have Nvidia purevideo but not installed, I can try that, but again the picture will not be as good as FFDShow. I think if i used FFDshow in postprocessing plugin and choose NVIDIA as video it will just swallow more power and give me more problems I'm afraid.

Edited by Bjur
Hi Benarty.

Thanks for the reply.

The reason why I use FFDShow and are so fond of it, is because I use Advanced FFDshow which can upscale and brush up the picture very nicely. I don't have to uninstall FFDShow but just tell to not be used in DVBViewer. I have tried earlier with Powerdvd but the picture was no way near Advanced FFDShow which also uses alot of CPU power, which perhaps could be the problem? But I can't see anywhere in the log if it's FFDShow which freezes up my system.

I have Nvidia purevideo but not installed, I can try that, but again the picture will not be as good as FFDShow. I think if i used FFDshow in postprocessing plugin and choose NVIDIA as video it will just swallow more power and give me more problems I'm afraid.

as i said before it should not be the videodecoder causing the lockup!! if you read what i wrote earlier it was the audiodecoder...you should be abled to continue using ffdshow i you want that...for god sake read what i wrote you,man ;)

as i said before it should not be the videodecoder causing the lockup!! if you read what i wrote earlier it was the audiodecoder...you should be abled to continue using ffdshow i you want that...for god sake read what i wrote you,man :)

;);)

Believe me I read and understand what you wrote and can't say it isn't audiorelated and will test it, but it's just my theory it's video related, but will test later.

Thx. o:)

Decoder X does not perform the same as decoder Y.

So there is a difference between mpeg decoders.

Problems may start if more then one decoder is installed, windows uses merrit values to keep track of the different codec's but this can go wrong.

So within DVBViewer, nothing must be set as <auto>

In case you have often crashes then the first thing to do is to strip down so DVBViewer with one video decoder, one audio decoder , exit all the background applications.

Disconnect also from the internet( unplug cable) and disable virus scanner.

Write down when exactly the crash occurs, does windows show nothing in the systems logs (eventvwr.msc)?

If DVBViewer hangs and nothing is written in the windows log books then this might be a DVBViewer problem.

I had crashes also in the begin but caused by cam module and digital everywhere had also to update their firmware.

oops, that was with weltonway.

Decoder X does not perform the same as decoder Y.

So there is a difference between mpeg decoders.

Problems may start if more then one decoder is installed, windows uses merrit values to keep track of the different codec's but this can go wrong.

So within DVBViewer, nothing must be set as <auto>

In case you have often crashes then the first thing to do is to strip down so DVBViewer with one video decoder, one audio decoder , exit all the background applications.

Disconnect also from the internet( unplug cable) and disable virus scanner.

Write down when exactly the crash occurs, does windows show nothing in the systems logs (eventvwr.msc)?

If DVBViewer hangs and nothing is written in the windows log books then this might be a DVBViewer problem.

I had crashes also in the begin but caused by cam module and digital everywhere had also to update their firmware.

Oh and I've checked filters and it says FFDshow as video and audio so no other decoders.

oops, that was with weltonway.

Thanks for the reply. What normally causes the crash I think is sometimes when changing channels it hangs, and I have to exit DVB the hard way.

Regarding drivers, I have the latest stable to my FloppyDTV but not the newest beta though. Perhaps I should try that.

Edited by Bjur

How do You use DVBViewer?

Direct connected to a TV and using OSD or just on a computer together with the standard applications that are used on a pc.

In the first case: create a minimal system. windows+drivers+basic decoders + DVBViewer.

Less installed = less problems.

OSD:

if DVBViewer hangs while using the OSD:

If the audio is still playing but heavy dissorted: audio driver problem.

If no audio and video is present and DVBViewer doesn't act, also no mouse movement and ctrl+alt+del doesn't work and then only hard shutdown will help,

then check in the windows eventviewer, windows should add a not into the system logbook.

if no audio and no video and reboot is needed: and nothing is written in the eventviewer: that's a pain the the a??

You should start DVBViewer in debug mode to check if DVBViewer performs normal.

if debug mode doesn't show any problem then solving a problem is difficult.

Difficult is: fast way is re-install windows from scratch.

Use very frequent system restore. start with the oldest DVBViewer program (3.9.x), do not install transonder data and no plugins>.

Play alot with the OSD screen menu to try to trigger hangs.

If this doesn't occurs, system restore point and install latest DVBViewer.

If DVBViewer doesn't hang, and want to install an extra mpeg decoder, plugin or whatever, always first restore point.

Problems can be caused by, applications, drivers, windows itself, hardware, temperature related.

A fast way to pinpoint a DVBViewer problem: digital everywhere users: use the digital everywhere software which is based on a DVBViewer core.

or other brands, if the application works that shipped with the card works and uses the exact drivers as under DVBViewer.

bingo: bug message.

This is good advice, thanks!

For me it was:

DVBViewer hangs despite not using OSD and the audio is still playing but heavy distorted (hickup/repetive). Audio decoder problem, because when changing from Nvidia to AC3filter it was stable.

Had no mouse movement and ctrl+alt+del didn't work and then only hard shutdown would help.

When checking in the windows eventviewer no logs about the crash in the system logbook.

Rewerted back to last completly stable DVBViewerversion 3.9.4 still using same settings and decoders as before and the problems disappeared.

I always use a minimal setup of decoders and are aware of the potential problem with too many installed.

Now this is very peculiar when only a versionupdate of DVBViewer could make the system unstable...my only explanation would be the programmers did change DVBViewers way of processing sound/work together with an audiodecoder somehow. This issue was introduced in a minor form in v.4.0 where I could notice small lockup-issues, but no hard crashes in that version.

Edited by majstang

Shit, shit, shit...I thought my crash issues was gone after changing to AC3filter, but after 5 days of stable use there it was again...happened only seconds after posting the message above.

So issue is still present with DVBViewer v.4.1.1.1 ;)

Installed v.4.2.1 and have now runned it 24 hour straight completly stable with the decodersetup which was completly unstable with v.4.111. Dont know what you did but success so far ;)

YES!! Version 4.2.1 is rock solid and totally stabel for me. No more crashes and i'm really happy about that. I want to thank you guys for this awesome piece of software. The possibility to change between audiorenderers A and B with ease is a stroke of genius (it makes everything SO MUCH easier) and the fact DVBViewer now tune in the last seen channel after waking up HTPC from hibernation/standby is REALLY nice and now it's stabel as well....i say this...REALLY good work guys! Hopefully you could fix my issue with hearing sound even if muted when running two dvbviewerinstaces simultainously as well and this software would be the ultimate one.

Regards

Majstang

• 2 weeks later...
:wacko: blasted freaking software...i had two hard crashes with three days in between. Before that two weeks of stable use. This is REALLY annoying and dont know what to do now. Thinking of going back to the stable version 3.9.4 which i runned for six months without any of these freaking issues. Edited by majstang