Missing video stream with certain channels

CX23882-19

I'm currently experiencing issues with all channels on Astra 28.2E, 10729V (Freesat). Anything that is recorded from the channels contains only the first audio track - the video track and any secondary audio is missing from the recordings. This began last week with no changes on my part - it went from working to not working. Furthermore, if I connect via DVBViewer I can watch those channels, from the Recording Service's Unicast streaming, without trouble.

Has anyone else seen this?

Edit: Never mind, it looks like the dipshits in charge of Freesat have decided to renumber all of the streams on that transponder.

<rant>Jesus christ, I thought that Freeview was poorly coordinated but at least they managed to use a standardised EPG and the most they ever change is the LCN. They don't sit there screwing around with PIDs every 5 minutes just to piss everyone off.</rant>

So it's not a recording service bug, but it seems that there are differences in how DVBViewer and the recording service cope with this. Does the main DVBViewer app dynamically adjust PIDs but the recording service not and use whatever has been stored? This is not a criticism of the recording service BTW.

Edit2: I copied the channels.dat from my server across to a local DVBViewer client, and notice that when trying to view the "old" channels, there is a small delay of a few seconds, and then the updated details are automatically corrected. I guess that people who run the recording service and client on the same PC, the channel list will always be updated the first time they try to view the channels, so they wouldn't see any problem.

Edited by CX23882-19

there is a autosplit on PMT changes option in the recording service. It does just that: it updates the channel data while recording and restarts a recording, if needed. The "if needed" is based on the recording format.

Splits occur on:

First of all: PMTPID changes will always result in a spilt.

Recording format MP2/aac (audio only format):

- AudioPID, Audioformat.

Recording format MPEG:

*Only current Audiostream:

- AudioPID, Audioformat of the current Audio, PCRPID, VPID or videoformat.

*Record All Audiostreams

- AudioPID, Audioformat of any Audiostream, Audio added, PCRPID, VPID or videoformat.

TSFormat

*Only current Audiostream:

- AudioPID, Audioformat of the current Audio, PCRPID, VPID or videoformat.

*Record All Audiostreams

- PCRPID, VPID or videoformat.

audioformat stands for changes from mp2 to ac3 and similar (NOT AC3 2.0 to AC3 5.1).

videoformat stands for changes from mpeg2 to h264 (NOT 4:3 <-> 16:9).

In fact you can set every PID to zero except the SID and it will be able to recover the channel (like the DVBViewer autoupdate). Of course you get a leftover recording file from the split. Well, just don't try it with important recordings :biggrin: And it's best to use the TS format with all audio...