HTPC - DVB Viewer ad Vista settings (correct start, end, standby etc)

Paxero

Hi all,

originally, I considered DVBViewer as great platform for HTPC. 2 months later, I was disappointed on settings DVBViewer as engine for HTPC, and started with MediaPortal. After many nights spent with MediaPortal, I gave it up. MediaPortal is good for media, not for watching TV.

So I want try DVBViewer again. Please, advise, how to setup it best, when I want HTPC:

- no keyboard, no mouse, just remote control (HTPC mode)

- when I switch PC on, DVBViewer goes to fullscreen

- when I press power button (on PC or on remote control), PC goes to standby

- I do not know how to setup (shutdown DVBViewer that shudowns PC)? What will happen when power button on PC is pressed?

- or PC goes to standby and DVBViewer is restarted after standby (in task scheduler)

- any tricks in DVBViewer settings?

I would appreciate an advice from HTPC users having DVBViewer as the HTPC engine.

- no keyboard, no mouse, just remote control (HTPC mode)
Please have DVBViewer "Learn" your remote: look in "Settings / Options / Input"; you can also create new (group of) commands, read how here

- when I switch PC on, DVBViewer goes to fullscreen
check "Settings / Options / General / Start in Full Screen Mode"

- when I press power button (on PC or on remote control), PC goes to standby
1) link you remote power button to "Exit" action (see my first answer...)

2) select the type of shutdown you want in "Settings / Options / Shutdown / On Exiting DVBViewerdoes the following:"; you have to choose among "Shutdown Computer, Standby or Hibernate"

3) set "Settings / Options / Shutdown / Remote control Power off uses" to "extended Exit"

- I do not know how to setup (shutdown DVBViewer that shudowns PC)? What will happen when power button on PC is pressed?
it's depending mainly on what you choosed in your S.O.; DVBViewer can try to cancel the shotdown if you have a number >0 in "Settings / Options / Shutdown / Rule for Shutdown"

- or PC goes to standby and DVBViewer is restarted after standby (in task scheduler)
In most cases nothing special at all, in spare cases some USB based DVB receiver isn't reconnected automatically and DVBViewer complain that no hw is found... It's a DVB card driver fault, but you can create a batch to solve that (more info here)

- any tricks in DVBViewer settings?
thare are plenty: what you need more?

Meanwhile you can read some of them in the "Tweaks.txt" file you find in the DVBViewer main folder...

You can also have a look at DVBViewer Wiki (...although currently somewhat incomplete...)

;)

Thanks a lot, Gioxy! The information is valuable, trick with standby after some time delay is great!

I would like to ask you or anybody else to help me with these issues. (I use Google to search DVBViewer.com, read readme files, tweaks etc., I am beginner with DVBViewer, not stupid consumer)

- If I will use Recording Service, I cannot use Task Scheduler -> I do not know how to set automatic restart of DVBViewer after return from standby (S3)

- If I want to switch HTCP down, I will exit DVBViewer, and after few minutes PC will go to standby as idle. This is ok - great idea. However how to resolve the situation, when my wife/son switches system off on remote (DVBViewer will be closed) and wants to start it again? They will not wait minutes till standby. Workarounds exist (go to HTPC and press sleep button), however I would like to have more user friendly...

- If standby button is pressed during recording by recording service, PC goes to sleep. I use iMON, so it may happen, when I want to switch PC on, and do not know that recording service is running. Can be going to sleep blocked somehow? Do I have to abandon iMON (remote sensor switches the powerbutton) and implement some other remote control trhough USB?

- Is there any documentation/manual to ACTUAL VERSION of DVBViewer? I can find only documentation years old, or wiki, that is incomplete

- what is Extended Exit, please?

Thanks for any response, I think that this will help also others.

I do not know how to set automatic restart of DVBViewer after return from standby (S3)
If you have XP there are two tools you can use (maybe they work also with Vista but I can't test):

• DVBViewer Starter (find it in beta section of Member's area); you have to configure it when DVBViewer isn't running, check the last two options

Hibernate Trigger, freeware that's can run what you want before and/or after Hibernate/Suspend commands

If I want to switch HTCP down... / what is Extended Exit
Extend Exit execute a subsequent command after DVBViewer Exit; you can choose one action from those listed under "On exit DVBViewer does the following", eg: "(only) Close DVBViewer", "Shutdown Computer", "Standby" or "Hibernate"...

If standby button is pressed during recording by recording service, PC goes to sleep.
(At least on XP...) it should not happen during recording and if there are recordings due in X min you have setted in "Settings / Options / Shutdown / Rule for Shutdown", as I also wrote before...

Is there any documentation/manual to ACTUAL VERSION of DVBViewer?
In english no, while German wiki seems nearly complete, maybe you can try with a on-line translator...

;)

Edited by Gioxy
  • 1 month later...
If you have XP there are two tools you can use (maybe they work also with Vista but I can't test):

• DVBViewer Starter (find it in beta section of Member's area); you have to configure it when DVBViewer isn't running, check the last two options

Hibernate Trigger, freeware that's can run what you want before and/or after Hibernate/Suspend commands

Extend Exit execute a subsequent command after DVBViewer Exit; you can choose one action from those listed under "On exit DVBViewer does the following", eg: "(only) Close DVBViewer", "Shutdown Computer", "Standby" or "Hibernate"...

(At least on XP...) it should not happen during recording and if there are recordings due in X min you have setted in "Settings / Options / Shutdown / Rule for Shutdown", as I also wrote before...

In english no, while German wiki seems nearly complete, maybe you can try with a on-line translator...

:(

I have related question: I am planning to use not HTPC but standard miniPC connected with SkyStar (via USB). Is there any solution for waking up switched-off PC ((stand by/hibernate/power off) with Technisat remote control (RC > SkyStar > USB > PC = power on) or is it completely lost way? I suppose it is about the motherboard possibilities, right?

Thanx for idea!