DiSEqC Motor Problem

-ToR-

I have Motor Dish, Connected to Technomate VBox 2, connected to 'Technisat SkyStar USB 2 HD CI used with DVBViewer v4.1.1.1

I am using TransEdit v.3.5.5 to setup everything.

I have 21 programmed satellite position presets on the VBox.

From the TransEdit Positioner Console, i can drive the dish to any position without a problem.

From DVBViewer i can send the position preset command.

But under normal operation, when the positioner is driven by selecting a channel, the positioner stops right after a preset position command is sent (received on VBox) and reception (tuning) is tried.

So i guess the problem is almost like the reception is stopping the driving of the positioner.

For example, i have:

SAT: Eutelsat W2A (10E) Position#: 716 Preset#: 10

SAT: Hotbird 6,8,9 (13E) Position#: 698 Preset#: 9

When the dish is pointing to Hotbird, if i tune to a channel on Eutelsat W2A, the DiSEqC command to select preset 10 is successfully sent but right after this, vbox stops driving when Transedit or DVBViewer tries to tune to a channel.

I can add a delay of let's say 5000ms from the Extended DiSEqC Editor to delay the tuning time to allow driving but the delay works everytime a channel is selected even on the same satellite.

Also driving from let's say Hispasat (30W) to Intelsat 12 (45E) takes a long time. I can not wait for that long to tune to a channel on the same sattelite.

I also tried this:

Settings->Hardware->Retune attempts: to 15

delay of 3000ms from the Extended DiSEqC Editor

Settings->Scanner 2 ->Tuner Lock Timeout: to 1000ms

Under this setting a delay of atleast 3sec is present for all channel changes, and the motor stops for 1 sec every 3 secs untill it reaches the position of the selected preset.

This is not an elegant solution, there are other wait times between the 1 sec and the 3sec delays and it takes forever to complete.

Another problem here is that, if by chance a similar transponder is present while driving and a signal is received on the way, Transedit or DVBViewer tunes to that signal and the positioner stops and signal from a wrong satellite is received..

It almost looks like DVBViewer is programmed to stop the positioner when a signal is received after a channel is tuned.

I really need this to be fixed. I would really appreciate any support on this from anyone.

Please help.

Thanks a lot in advance.

ToR.

support.zip

Edited by -ToR-

DVB Card Information

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Card Model: Technisat SkyStar USB 2 HD CI

Driver Version: v1.3 (soft_skystar_usb2_hd_ci_v1_3_6795) Publish date: 20.07.2009

Processor Information

Number of cores 4 (max 4)

Number of threads 4 (max 4)

Name Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650

Codename Yorkfield

Specification Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q9650 @ 3.00GHz

Package (platform ID) Socket 775 LGA (0x4)

Technology 45 nm

Core Speed 2003.7 MHz

Multiplier x FSB 6.0 x 333.9 MHz

Rated Bus speed 1335.8 MHz

Stock frequency 3000 MHz

Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, EM64T

Chipset

Northbridge Intel X38 rev. 01

Southbridge Intel 82801IR (ICH9R) rev. 02

Graphic Interface PCI-Express

PCI-E Link Width x16

PCI-E Max Link Width x16

Memory Type DDR3

Memory Size 2048 MBytes

Channels Dual, (Symmetric)

Memory Frequency 667.9 MHz (1:2)

CAS# latency (CL) 7.0

RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 7

RAS# Precharge (tRP) 7

Cycle Time (tRAS) 20

Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) 74

Command Rate (CR) 1T

Gfx Info

Device Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Driver Version: nvlddmkm 8.15.11.8585 (ForceWare 185.85)

OS Info

Windows Version Microsoft Windows 7 (6.1) Ultimate Edition (Build 7100)

DirectX Version 10.0

It almost looks like DVBViewer is programmed to stop the positioner when a signal is received after a channel is tuned.

It certainly doesn't. First the DiSEqC commands configured by you are sent (nothing more), then the "normal" tuning via the BDA interface takes place, without any additional DiSEqC-related measures. The positioner console doesn't perform tuning.

So the question arises what the driver does on tuning. Maybe the programmers think it should always send a DiSEqC reset command, I don't know... it's completely unknown to us how drivers actually handle DiSEqC. We just have an API for passing DiSEqC commands, that's all.

Particularly Twinhan/AzureWave drivers (your SkyStar USB 2 HD is a relabeled Twinhan/AzureWave) have shown a very... well, let's say strange DiSEqC behaviour in the past, suggesting that the driver programmers are not really familiar with practical requirements in case of motorized dishes and cascaded DiSEqC elements.

Let's see if we get similar reports from other users. If yes, I'll notify TechniSat (though TechniSat - like most vendors - has not so much influence on driver programming as you might think). That's all I can do for you, sorry...

It certainly doesn't. First the DiSEqC commands configured by you are sent (nothing more), then the "normal" tuning via the BDA interface takes place, without any additional DiSEqC-related measures. The positioner console doesn't perform tuning.

I appreciate your quick response.

Would it be possible to add an option to reverse the sequence? so that it will tune first and then send DiSEqC command?

So it will be irrelevant whatever the driver does during tuning.

I can adjust the Tuner Lock Timeout to a much higher value.

Wouldn't that solve the problem if programatically possible?

I appreciate your quick response.

Could anyone comment please?

Would it be possible to tune first and then send the DiSEqC command optionally?

Because that would slove the problem...

• 2 weeks later...
Could anyone comment please?

Would it be possible to tune first and then send the DiSEqC command optionally?

Because that would slove the problem...

I have Windows 7 Asrock Ion 330, with Technotrend S2-3650, and V-Box. Positioning was very unsatisfactory with earlier versions of DVBViewer - maybe one time in ten the dish would move at all. Basically I moved it via the v-box and then tuned, and that worked fine (although a bind to have to note down the co-ordinates, then move there as no remote on v-box). Just recently upgraded to 4.2.1, and diseqc (move to position) works reliably - moves every time to the right position. However when it gets there I get zero signal strength, and no picture/sound. If I close down and restart DVBViewer everything is fine, and is has remembered the position it moved to etc. Seems like its taking too long to get to a position, at which point DVBViewer has already given up. Or maybe the 3650 has locked up and needs a reset. Not a big deal as easy to close and open DVBViewer, and an improvement over previous, however would be nice if it just worked. Gets closer each time, I am pleased to say, and pretty well everything else working happily except for rendering in HD (have posted bug report but no response).

Anyway good luck - happy to try things if any suggestions...

Edited by therac