Dual C&Ku transponders in transedit?

pruemmler

My setup uses a 4DTV receiver to move the dish and change polarities. I have Cband and Ku band lnbs on the dish. I use a 22k switch to switch between the cband (22k tone off) and Ku lnb (22k tone on). Must I add two different satellites in transedit because the tone on and off is determined by the satellite? If so, can they be at the same orbital position or do I have the add say .1 degree to one of the positions. For exmple AMC 3 at 87.0 W is dual. Do I need one satellite AMC 3 cband at 87 W and one satellite AMC 3 Ku at 88 W.

• Like 1
Must I add two different satellites in transedit because the tone on and off is determined by the satellite?

The usual setup for European Ku band Universal LNBs is LOF1 = 9750, LOF2 = 10600, LOFSW = 11700 MHz. The 22 KHz signal is used for switching between the low and high Ku band (frequencies below and above LOFSWitch = 11700 MHz), from which you can see that 22 khz off/on is *not* determined by the satellite position. It varies according to the transponder frequency and LOFSW.

TransEdit & DVBViewer assume the following:

- if the transponder resp. channel frequency is below LOFSW the LOF shall be LOF1 and 22 khz shall be switched off

- if the transponder resp. channel frequency is above LOFSW the LOF shall be LOF2 and 22 khz shall be switched on.

DVBViewer & TransEdit don't store the LOF1 / LOF2 / LOFSW settings in the channel list resp. scan result data, but only the resulting LOF and 22 khz off/on (as you can see in the DVBViewer channel list editor), due to "historical" reasons: The TechniSat SkyStar2, which was the first and for some time the only supported DVB-S card, expects these parameters for tuning.

However, BDA drivers want the LOF1, LOF2 and LOFSW values (which means, they make their own decision about the resulting LOF and 22 khz off/on - don't ask me why, MS design), so these values must be somehow re-created from the LOF and 22 khz information in the DVBViewer channel data. It is done in the following way:

22 khz off:

- LOF1 = channel data LOF

- LOF2 = 10600 MHz (default value)

- LOFSW = a frequency above the transponder frequency

22 khz on:

- LOF1 = 9750 MHz (default value)

- LOF2 = channel data LOF

- LOFSW = a frequency below the transponder frequency

If the driver works as expected, it compares LOFSW and the transponder frequency, sets 22 khz off/on accordingly, selects LOF1 or LOF2 accordingly, and ignores the other LOF value, thus doing exactly what's in the DVBViewer channel list. But who can tell with drivers... :angry:

I have no practical experience with your kind of setup, but from theory I' d say with

LOF1 = 5150

LOF2 = your Ku band LOF

LOFSW = some frequency between the Ku band and C band transponder frequencies

merging C band and Ku band into a single transponder list should work, provided the DVB device driver doesn't get confused by it. Try...

I have no practical experience with your kind of setup, but from theory I' d say with

LOF1 = 5150

LOF2 = your Ku band LOF

LOFSW = some frequency between the Ku band and C band transponder frequencies

merging C band and Ku band into a single transponder list should work, provided the DVB device driver doesn't get confused by it. Try...

That's what I call a very good explanation. It worked. I did the following:

LOF1 = 5150

LOF2 = 10750

LOFSW = 10000

Thank you!

pruemmler