DVB-T stick -> DVB-C ?

Peter_P8n

Hi

I read in this thread

http://www.DVBViewer.info/forum/index.php?showtopic=27846

that the DVBViewer team 'magically' converted a DVB-T stick to be able to receive DVB-C.

(The DVB-T stick was originally marketed as DVB-T only, I think)

The team were able to do it because the stick use the BDA driver, right?

My question is....

I have an AverTV DVB-T USB2 box - which also use the BDA driver.

Will I also be able to receive DVB-C (non-encrypted channels) using my AverTV box or would I have to buy a new one, or submit some technical data and it will be 'fixed'?

Regards

Peter_Pan

We don't do magic. It's like always, let something be technically very advanced and it seems like magic to the savages... B)

Well in this case the it wasn't even very advanced, the stick you linked to is a hybrid stick which can do -T and -C and we had to add the logic in the DVBViewer to switch between the two modes because it did it in a non standard way. :)

Woha! Nice fast reply.

Actually I just wanted to know if there is a possibility that my DVB-T stick (not hybrid, not DVB-C - until proven?) will be able to do DVB-C when I get DVB-C - in 2 weeks time.

Because if there is no chance, I might as well order that stick linked in the thread above.

Peter_Pan

No, you can't. You need a stick especial for DVB-C or a hybrid but these are not so nice cause you can only use either the -T or the -C part but not both at the same time.

OK, thanks again.

I can live with buying the Terratec hybrid then.

Because the selection of USB DVB-C only sticks for notebooks is not good.

Well depending on your cable provider you might need a DVB-C device with a CI, if the channels are encrypted... You should definetly read a little bit about the whole DVB-C thing :)