Audio track (ac3) in mpg not loaded by dvbsource

amontillado

Hello,

If I play the mpg's from my camcorder I dont get any audio. This only happens if I use the DVBViewer filter for mpg/vob, if I dont the audio is fine.

It occurs on both my laptop (xp) as my htpc (vista32).

The mpg's have an ac3 audio track.

I have posted some short examples:

http://www.amontillado.nl/temp/MOV036.mpg (7mb)

http://www.amontillado.nl/temp/MOV050.mpg (2mb)

http://www.amontillado.nl/temp/MOV042.mpg (13mb)

or via ftp.amontillado.nl , username: DVBViewer@amontillado.nl , pwd: DVBViewer

Thanks

If I play the mpg's from my camcorder I dont get any audio.

Due to bad audio stream handling of whatever created the MPEG file. ;) The AC3 data packets contain substream headers, except the first one, letting DVBViewer wrongly assume that there are no substream headers and preventing it from reading the stream properly.

However, if you change the filename extension from .mpeg to .vob, DVBViewer 4.2.1 will play the file quite happily with AC3 audio, because it assumes .vob files to be DVD compliant (which is not necessarily true for MPEG). According to the DVD specifications substream headers (allowing to distinguish different AC3 audio tracks) must be present. So DVBViewer identifies the first bad audio data packet as unknown stream with an unknown substream ID and ignores it.

This only happens if I use the DVBViewer filter for mpg/vob, if I dont the audio is fine.

If "Use DVBViewer Filter for MPG/VOB" is switched off, DVBViewer delegates the program stream handling to DirectShow, and some other Demultiplexer/Splitter component takes over, probably with a stream detection strategy that tolerates such a mess. The DVBViewer approach is stricter.

Due to bad audio stream handling of whatever created the MPEG file. ;) The AC3 data packets contain substream headers, except the first one, letting DVBViewer wrongly assume that there are no substream headers and preventing it from reading the stream properly.

However, if you change the filename extension from .mpeg to .vob, DVBViewer 4.2.1 will play the file quite happily with AC3 audio, because it assumes .vob files to be DVD compliant (which is not necessarily true for MPEG). According to the DVD specifications substream headers (allowing to distinguish different AC3 audio tracks) must be present. So DVBViewer identifies the first bad audio data packet as unknown stream with an unknown substream ID and ignores it.

If "Use DVBViewer Filter for MPG/VOB" is switched off, DVBViewer delegates the program stream handling to DirectShow, and some other Demultiplexer/Splitter component takes over, probably with a stream detection strategy that tolerates such a mess. The DVBViewer approach is stricter.

Thanks for the quick reply, renaming to vob works like a charm. :)

The files are somewhat of a mess anyway, the aspect ratio is also incorrect (4:3, should be 16:9) but that can be solved with dvdpatcher.

Now I can bore the family with our homevideos ;)

Greetz,

Ger