DVBViewer WOL

Hallo,

erstmal danke für dieses tolle Tool! ich habe das Tool seit ein paar Tagen im Einsatz um meinen Server mit dem Recording Service per WOL zu wecken. Das funktioniert auch von allen PCs (siehe Signatur) einwandfrei.

Jedoch bekomme ich es nicht hin, dass das Tool den Server automatisch weckt, sobald der HTPC aus dem Stand-by erwacht. Ich habe mit Hilfe der Windows Aufgabenplanung einen Autostart nach dem Standby eingerichtet. Unter Aktionen steht: "C:\Program Files (x86)\DVBViewer\DVBViewer_WOL.exe" und unter Argumente "WOL" (ohne Anführungszeichen). Das Tool wird auch gestartet, jedoch erscheint nur folgendes:

DVBViewer_WOL v1.5 - 21.05.2010 12:19:44

Suche DVBServer......

DVBServer gefunden!

Warte auf DVBServer...

Timeout connecting to REC_SVC!

Wie weiter oben beschrieben, habe ich den Verzeichnissen vollen Schreibzugriff gegeben.

Und wie gesagt: Wenn ich das WOL Tool normal der Doppelklick starte, funktioniert es einwandfrei und der Server wird geweckt.

Was mich wundert: Normalerweise steht beim Start hinter "Suche DVBServer..." die IP des Servers (in meinem Fall 192.168.178.25), das ist nach dem Stand-by nicht der Fall.

Ich habe es auch über den Scheduler versucht, bin da aber auch zu keinem Ergebnis gekommen.

Hat jemand eine Idee? Danke!

Gruß Brazzo

• 1 month later...

Hallo.

Sorry für die verspätete Antwort, hatte keine Notification auf das Thema gesetzt :whistle:

Du hast recht das bei der "Suche DVBServer..." Meldung immer die IP dabeistehen.

Habe im Code nachgesehen, er nimmt bei IP als Standard-Setting "", also so wie bei Dir im Log.

Den Standard Setting nimmer er wenn die INI nicht gefunden bzw. in der INI es den Parameter nicht gibt.

Schau mal ob bei "Ausführen in" bei der Verknüpfung der Pfad eingetragen ist wo die EXE & die INI liegt.

cu

pOpY

Edited by popy

Hallo,

das Problem hat sich mittlerweile erledigt. Ich habe eine Lösung mithilfe eines selbstgeschriebenen Batchfiles gefunden, worüber das WOL Tool fehlerfrei gestartet wird. Trotzdem danke für die Antwort.

Gruß Brazzo

Hallo!

Benutze seit ca. 2 Wochen das Tool, grundlegend funktioniert es auch. Nach einen Resume startet der Client das WOL Tool und weckt den Server mit dem Recording Service auf.

Das funktioniert aber nur von 10 starts 7-8 mal, die anderen beiden male kommt es zu einem timeout der in der ini eingestellt ist.

Warum der Server nicht aufwacht... Keine Ahnung, ich finde irgendwie keinen Zusammenhang warum er das nicht macht.

Mit einem WOL Sniffer auf dem Server habe ich kontrolliert ob das Magic Paket ankommt und das funktioniert.

Auch die Zeit bis zum Start des WOL Tools habe ich mal auf 8 Sekunden gesetzt, ich dachte zuerst daran, daß gleich nach dem Resume evtl. das netzwerk noch nicht bereit ist.

Das Tool wird mit Evenghost nach dem Resume gestartet. Server und Client sind beide Win7 32bit Home Premium.

Jetzt meine Frage, gibt es ne möglichkeit nach dem Timeout einen Retry zu machen?

Das Tool ist wirklich klasse, danke dafür, und ich möchte es auch gerne weiter benutzen...

Danke schonmal im voraus!

Gruß

WELLO

@WELLO: Neues Update v1.6 mit neuem Parameter:

MAGIC_PACKET_RETRYS - Wird innerhalb des Timouts der Server nicht erreich kann hier eingestellt werden bis zu wieviel mal wiederholt werden soll

Ich kann es leider nicht testen da es bei mir beim erstenmal immer funktioniert.

cu

pOpY

Hi popy!

Sorry for taking this in english in a German thread, but I need to ask you some things, cuz i cant get it to work when using your tool. At the moment im using WOL Magic Packet sender (software) and it works satisfying for me. WOL Magic Packet sender wants to use UDP port 9 for the Magicpaket traffic...hence me opening the corresponding port in my router. My router manufacturer wants me to create a Virtual Server especially for WakeOnLan traffic for this and says:

The Virtual Server option allows you to define a single public port on your router for redirection to an internal LAN IP Address and Private LAN port if required. This feature is useful for hosting online services such as FTP or Web Servers.

What I dont understand is how your tool is supposed to work both from internet and inside the LAN if not having any way of setting up the port for WOL traffic?

The only port I see in the setup (ini file) is the one for the RecService webserver and that port is portforwarded and reserved for RecService webserver only (no magic packets seemed to be allowed over this port). So, do your tool use a specific UDP port?

I have followed your instructions, but the WOL part fails every time.

Edited by majstang

@majstang: No problem :-) first sorry for my bad english :-)

This tool is designed to work in an LAN. I havent test it outside my LAN.

The Tool has the following workflow (case server is down):

* Ping Server IP

* Not reachable -> send magic packet to MAC

* Try to reach dvb rec-svc webinterface

You could see it uses Ping and sending magic packet to mac adress. Ill think this is problem through a router/firewall (correct me if i am wrong).

But i have another solution for your problem ;-) i have written a script in php which checks if server is down, if it is down it sends a magic packet to it and redirects you to the web interface.

So if you have a webserver in your LAN which is accessible from the internet, you can try it this way.

If you want the script ill could upload it in the plugins section.

cu

pOpY

@popy, thanks for helping me!

Ok, this is for the LAN only, but I cant make that work either. Hmmmm...this was tricky! My router seem not to allow general WOL LAN broadcasts it seem instead to use public and private ports which are controlled by the firewall. Even the private ones must be opened in order to allow magic packets through. This tool wont work for me unless there are a way to tell DVBViewer WOL it should send its magic pacets on a specific port. If this would be possible it also would be possible to use this tool from the internet, yes?

@majstang: I have looked into it. The currently used external tool (wol.exe) doesnt support of sending the magic packet through a router port.

But i have found this tool: http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-cmd.aspx

My only problem is i couldnt test it because my firewall blocks such "broadcasts".

Could you test the following:

* Configure your router that it forwards "UDP port 9 (discard)" to the IP adress of your dvb recording service computer

* run the tool from internet: WolCmd.exe [MAC of DVB computer in format ff00ff00ff00] [iP or hostname of router in the internet] 255.255.255.0 9

(Hint Just type wolcmd.exe to see the help)

If your computer wakes up please let me know then i will think about it to implement this tool.

Another question: Why do you want this? Just to wake up the pc and reach the webinterface to programm recordings or to stream out of your lan?

cu

pOpY

Edited by popy

Just to wake up the pc and reach the webinterface to programm recordings or to stream out of your lan?

I was planning to do both, but after a lot of testing and reading up about my router it wont work using WOL from internet because my router has a security manouver and drops the redirection from port 9 to my server IP within 10 minutes after shutting/hibernating server down. After that timeframe port 9 closes and wont let any magic packets through. I must drop this now and try to come up with an another solution, like remote desktop or such. The routers of today is quite annoying and overprotected to say at least :(

Thanks for helping me out @popy!

Regards

Majstang

No problem. Ill could give you my php script which sends the magic packet. Have you running a web server in you lan? can you access it from the internet?

cu

pOpY

No problem. Ill could give you my php script which sends the magic packet. Have you running a web server in you lan? can you access it from the internet?

cu

pOpY

Yes, I do run o webserver in the LAN which im abled to log in to from the internet. But I wont be abled to log in to that webserver if the server is down (HTPC hibernated). HTPC needs to be woken first and therein lies my problem, cuz what happens after 20 seconds of hibernation is my HTPC will fall out of the routers ARP table. When that happens and my D-Link DIR-655 receives a magic packet trying to wake up the server/HTPC, my router will send ARP "WHO HAS" messages which is not answered and so the magic packet dies unforwarded and unlogged! There is no way to circumvent this im afraid.

Could you describe more in detail how your php script works?

Edited by majstang

I have an "other" web server running in my lan (24/7). My HTPC is in standby and waiting for magic packet.

Now i am open a browser somewhere on the internet and open the url of the php script.

The php script pings the htpc and if it doesnt answer, it sends the magic packet and forward the browser to the rec svc webinterface.

The only thing you must have for this to work is an "always on" webserver (with php support) in the same lan as the htpc.

cu

pOpY

Edited by popy

@popy

Ah, now im with you! Well, unfortunatley the webserver and HTPC is the same in my case and the HTPC are being hibernated according to my hibernationscript after each recording.

Otherwise this script of yours would be the perfect solution.

I will try to find some solution to deal with my router and the ARP flushing.

Thanks for your help!

Regards

Majstang

Hello again popy!

I managed to solve my issues much quicker than expected. Found the right info and im now abled to start htpc/server with wolcmd from internet.

This is the format that works:

wolcmd [MAC in format ff00ff00ff00] [iP or hostname of router...WAN adress or DNS hostname such ######.dyndns.com] 255.255.255.255 9

:bye:

Nice to hear that :biggrin:

But let us know your results.

Let me know if streaming works outside your lan, i will think about to integrate the new wolcmd.exe.

cu

pOpY

But let us know your results.

Let me know if streaming works outside your lan, i will think about to integrate the new wolcmd.exe.

Yes, everything works from the Recording Service webinterface. No problem to stream LiveTV and Recordings from the internet and scheduling recordings of course. Well, it didnt go that smooth but it worked, cuz using an iPhone as a modem only gave me 1,5Mbits/s dl bandwidth and it wasnt enough to get fluent streaming (native .ts), but if having a faster internet connection than that streaming would not be any problem. Sadly there is no way to use the DVBViewer client over the internet as far as I know. It only works over the LAN, but one cant ask of too much. Webinterface streaming will do great, only downside is its a bit fiddly to get the streaming going with external VLC.

I dont see any technical obstacles to integrate the wolcmd.exe in your excellent DVBViewer WOL tool.

If you will do the integration, could you consider not setting any restrictions what UDP port to choose (for sending the magic packets over)? This since most hackers do always scan UDP ports 7 and 9 (which is the most common WOL ports) to find a way in your LAN...and it would therefor be great to be abled to use ports in the highest possible range.

If integrating wolcmd.exe you pretty much have everything you need in a proper DVBViewer WOL tool. Only thing i will miss is some kind of visual interface (such as different colors on DVBViewer icon similar to Recording Service systray icon or a green V or red X over the icon) to directly see if the recording server is up or down without even physically starting DVBViewer WOL. This is done by your tool, but the ping is done after the desktop icon is runned. Sorry, but i simply LOVE cool things like this and cant hold myself back ;) But how neat wouldnt it be to see if server is up or down right after windows is up and running?

Good luck!

Regards

Majstang

Edited by majstang