RESTful API

MattHeys

Can someone move this to the suggestions forum, for some reason it keeps telling me I can't post a new topic in there!

------------------------------------

I fancied creating an iPhone (web) interface and have used REST before (Facebook, themoviedb.org, thetvdb.com).

I was wondering if anyone was up for the challenge of writing a COM plugin to create a REST API? Preferably one that works with the Recording Service rather then having the whole app open.

I might have a go but I've never done anything quite like this before, and haven't even started to look at the COM API.

Yes that's the one.

I've had a quick look and my thinking so far would be to use PHP to read and parse the epg.dat file, enumerate the .txt files in the recording directory and read the data in from them and set recordings using the Command Line Interface utility.

There is probably a much more elegant way of doing this however but I'm still trying to understand the COM interface at the moment.

Hopefully I haven't got the wrong term by saying REST, but my overall idea was to be able to access a URL like http://dvbserver/rest/search/Lost this would then return a JSON/XML/YAML list of programs from the EPG that matched the search term "Lost". Then have another URL like http://dvbserver/rest/record/1234567 to set a recording of program ID 1234567. There would be a few more functions, like deactivating a recording that is already scheduled, deleting recorded items plus some more I haven't thought of yet.

I'm willing to make a start on this in a few weeks time but if anyone thinks that they could do this quite easily I would be very happy for someone else to take this on :wacko:

Like I say I've never tried anything like this before and I might not be up to the challenge anyway.