Can't record to NAS

Hi

I'm just trying out the Recording Service Beta 1.5.0.31 and I love it but ...

... I have problems recording over the network to my NAS Folder.

I have tried to set up the recording Service to different folders pointing to my Synology 107 NAS

but every time when the recording starts the actual recording files ends up in the default shared Users Shared folder.

Could the problem be that the Recording service can't see the amount of free disk space left on my NAS folder

or is it some kind of problem with my firewall settings?

Please help

You have to use UNC paths. Mapping hare to a drive is a per user setting and didn't effect the service account. So such a drive will not exist for the recording Service.

Hmm, I've added my recording folder this way:

Configure, Recorder. Add directory, browse to my Network, select my NAS folder (not a mapped network drive).

The path to the directory then shows:

\\SYNOLOGY\VIDEO\New recordings

I've tried different folders on my NAS and sometime the path shows

\\SYNOLOGY\ and sometime it shows the IP \\192.168.2.60\ of the NAS.

Can't figure out what is wrong.

Are there any restrictions for accessing the NAS?

Or is it open for anyone in you network?

I have several user accounts set up to have access to my NAS.

There's no problem accessing the folders and files directly through

Vista network and I had no problems using a NAS folder as recording

folder when I was using DVBViewer stand alone without the Recording Service.

My only guess is that I have some conflicts in the user account settings on the NAS.

I have the computer with the Recording Service set up without a password

to the user account in Vista. Maybe that's the problem since - I've had some

problems sharing files on that computer.

Can't really say that Vista and network sharing is something I fully understand.

Hey Hafan, have you already found a solution to this problem?

I started a thread some days ago in the german section of the boards over here. Looks like I got exactly the same issue as you do. Windows Vista, recording service and a NAS with samba sharing (mine's a QNAP TS-101).

The recording service just works fine with your NAS if no login is needed for the specific network share, i. e. you have unlimeted access to this share with a guest account. I consider this not applicable in my special case but maybe you're satisfied with this work around (which is not really a solution to this problem).

As Tjod already stated it seems like it's all about making the system account being able to access the share. I couldn't yet figure out how to manage this since I'm not really into all this windows stuff, neither into its user management.

The Recortding Service is runs in the system account. So you need to make sure that the system account is able to access the NAS.

...and micro$ says:

The system account has no permisson to access another network machine, if this machine is locked...

It only has (fully) control on self (local) system...

...as far as I understand the technet...

Marty

Pope

Thanx for the work around solution - it actually works if I choose a NAS folder with an open guest account. However - and like you said - this isn't an optimal solution.

What I don't understand is why I have no problems accessing those folders directly when browsing in Visa or when I record directly from a stand alone DVBViewer setup - not using the Recording Service that is. Is it some kind of network rights connected to the Service it self that I must change or apply?

... and one minute later I found the solution.

Maybe you've been spelling it out loud for me

but I took me some time to understand what to look for.

Here's what I did.

Went to Control Panel/System and Maintenance/Administrative Tools/Services

In the list of Services - open DVBViewer Reording Service

Go to tab - Login

Change login from the default Local system account to

This account:

Browse

Type in the name of my Vista account (same as account on NAS)

Click OK

type password of Vista account (same as on NAS)

Click OK.

Restart Service

SUCCESS!!!

Haven't tried that one because there are several wiki pages that indicate the recording service HAS to run in system account.

Anyone from the DVBViewer staff who can elaborate on this? What are the possible drawbacks of Hafan's solution?

• 2 weeks later...
... and one minute later I found the solution.

Maybe you've been spelling it out loud for me

but I took me some time to understand what to look for.

Here's what I did.

Went to Control Panel/System and Maintenance/Administrative Tools/Services

In the list of Services - open DVBViewer Reording Service

Go to tab - Login

Change login from the default Local system account to

This account:

Browse

Type in the name of my Vista account (same as account on NAS)

Click OK

type password of Vista account (same as on NAS)

Click OK.

Restart Service

SUCCESS!!!

Hello Hafan -

I can confirm Your solution - had same problem recording to Synology NAS, was looking here for help, and just tried Out Your solution as described here - it works. Thanks :)

Edited by Per Raebild
  • 7 months later...

Any update on this?

Running my NAS wide open is neither attractive nor practical for me. Running Recording Service as a user rather than as system has the downside that it only runs while you're logged in, which is pretty crummy too.

How about adding a "My server requires authentication [yes/no]" and room to add a username and password in the setup?