Use ATI Avio HW features in DVBViewer

AndersB

I recently upgraded my HTPC with a ATI Radeon HD 4350 card to get HDMI output. I am currently using an old nvidia purevideo decoder for mpeg2 video and CoreAVC for h.264 decoding but now I would like to use the ATI hardware for decoding in order to benefit from the image processing and deinterlacing that the ATI Avio HD feature-set brings. Does anyone know which codecs I need in order to use these features for watching both SD/HD live TV and file playback in DVBViewer?

I've now installed PowerDVD Ultra and tried the Cyberlink codecs for both MPEG2 and H.264. MPEG2 showed some improvement in IQ over my old Purevideo decoder. H.264 decoder however is another thing.

The original problem is that when I playback HD channels or recorded HD material with CoreAVC in display resolution 1080p I get delayed picture. Audio comes ~1s before the video. I can do minor improvements with the dvbsource settings. Disabling 'Deblocking' in CoreAVC did a huge impact but still significant video delay. Only when I lowered the display resolution to 1024x768 I get good sync. Although I have a good CPU (AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz) I imagine it might be due to bad performance on the system. So I thought I'd try HW decoding.

With the cyberlink H.264 codec with DXVA enabled, the A/V sync is good but I get terrible framerate. This is not what I expected when enabling DXVA. I've updated to latest ATI drivers, latest DirectX (I'm running XP SP3).

Anyone know what might be the reason?

My audio is S/PDIF pass-through via the onboard Realtek chipset (also latest drivers) via AC3 Filter. I would try my ESI Maya44 soundcard to see if that would help if only I had a free slot left in the PC.

First of all, deep down I have a hard time really believing that my system is too slow to display live/recorded HD material at 1080p without HW acceleration. Also, I would expect that enabling DXVA for HD playback anyway would at least give fluent playback.

Does anyone have any clues on how to improve my HD playback (either SW decoding with CoreAVC or HW decoding with Cyberlink)? BTW, I'm running overlay mixer which I've come to prefer from years of testing back and forth - could this be part of the problem?