Magic packet for unicast network device

MomoBrut

The idea is the power efficient centralized dvbserver with all DVB devices installed and shared to clients in home network with dvb server in recording service. It works of course, but I would like to suspend this server to RAM (S3) if it is not used, and WOL this server if the unicast network device on client is used.

My current testing configuration with just one DVB-T device is:

- Asus EEE box B202

- Yakumo QuickStick

- WXP SP3, Recording Service last beta

- Wake On Lan activated, only control servers allowed - it needs the magic packet to wake up

Power requirements are:

16W streaming

14W idle

1W Suspend to RAM (S3)

The server uses Dshutdown application http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/ , which monitors trafic. If there is no trafic, the server is suspended to RAM (S3).

It works as expected ... :-)

During test I have to first send magic packet manually and run DVBViewer subsequently. Server wakes up in 2-3 seconds and streams as expected. After closing DVBViewer, the server goes to S3. This is exactly what I want.

The idea is to add some options to unicast network device:

Send magic packet first.

Amount of delay to wait for awaking device.

Someone can say ... why to use magic packet, set the WOL for ping awake, but you know ... it is problem to "calm down" all other clients on home network ...

Thanks for replay.

Momo