UPnP streaming to WDTV Live

Rob100

Lars,

I've been playing with a WDTV Live and streaming live BBC HD isn't working very well.

SD (MPEG2 Video and Audio) from both Sat and Terrestrial stream fine and BBC HD recordings stream fine, but live BBC HD (H264/AC3) stutters and/or pauses (both visually and audibly) every 15 seconds or so, causing the AC3 output on the WDTV to drop.

I've tried adjust the buffer size, but it didn't make any difference.

Attached is support.zip and svcdebug.log - as you will see first I stream BBC HD to PS3 which works fine (other than the PS3 not always liking the new BBC H264 streams) and then I stop streaming to PS3 and stream to WDTV.

Streaming to PC also works fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rob.

support.zip

svcdebug.log

how fast you get video on your tv?

When i start some channel it needs 45 sec to get video and sound on TV.

its same over lan or wifi.

Can this go faster because its pretty boring to wait every time 45 sec?

thx

Yes, it can take a LLLOOONNNGGG time to start streaming!

I get a black screen for ages, then the WDTV displays the audio type and then eventually it starts streaming.

Do you get the same issue streaming live HD?

I turned satellite dish to astra and test it with: Das Erste HD, ZDF HD, arte HD (AC3,ger)

Everything is working fine and i was suppressed. For HD channel it needs much less time to start program. 10-15 sec. Now i dont understand why it needs so much time for mpeg2 channels.

Picture, sound is excellent and working without problems.

It's a pretty safe bet to assume it is 1080i. I don't think anyone broadcasts 1080p...

If you view channel in DVBViewer you can see bitrate at bottom of window (View/Show Statusbar must be enabled). See attached.

What firmware do you have on WDTV Live and what output resolution are you using? Sorry for all the questions.

I might as an experiment whip out my OS (XP32) HDD and install Win7x64 on another drive to see if this makes any difference, but as streaming to PS3 is fine and I can stream 1080p60 content which exceeds 30MBit to WDTV Live using Twonky I don't this being the answer, but you never know...

post-77591-1264793660_thumb.jpg

When i start some channel it needs 45 sec to get video and sound on TV.

Same with me. Sometimes it takes even longer. The interesting thing about it is that what you see is "live" and not 45 seconds timeshifted. So it does net seem to be a burffering issue.

Edited by DaMickVanHalen

All 3 hd channels are in 1280x720 12.3mb/s

I use latest firmware 1.01.17.

for output i still use standard tv so i cant tell you results for hdtv output.

Can you use Twonky to stream satellite channels?

yes, i also think its not buffering issue, hd channels with 12mb/s is starting in 10-15 sec but mpeg2 channels with 1-3mb/s its starting in 25s to 1 min. I dont know if this is RC or WD problem.

i also think its not buffering issue, hd channels with 12mb/s is starting in 10-15 sec but mpeg2 channels with 1-3mb/s its starting in 25s to 1 min. I dont know if this is RC or WD problem.

It's not a problem of the recording service. For LiveTV he has a fixed bitrate which is given by the channel, he can't deliver the data faster, even if he wanted. You can do the math yourself. (w00t)

I dont know if this is RC or WD problem.

WD Problem. It does not show any pictures although the stream already arrived at the box. Additionally the WD has a problem with an AC3 audio track in that stream. If you switch do that track it does not passthrough AC3 but decodes it and output is PCM. If have the same issue for non live TV (.ts on an HDD). Best open a ticket at Western Digital at least for the first issue as you also see that problem

has anyone try subtitles between RC and wdtv live? I dont know how to activate them. In RC-> streams to send i have selected DVB subtitles but its not working on tv.

No it doesn't work. The device must be able to detect and decode DVBSubtitles. As far as I know, there is no such device in the market.

Fantec's MM-FHDL and A.C. Ryan's Playon!HD multimediaplayers does support DVB subtitles. And I believe several other brands based on Realtek's chip does support them as well.